The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

That Canucks seem hell-bent on regularly shipping out character is made even more peculiar, given that Benning played with plenty himself.  Ending

this rant with a brief backbone comparison, a team spine if you will:

Goalie    -  McLean  

Captain  -  Linden

Star        -  Bure

None of these knew quit.  But when teams messed with any of these, you'd see without a second thought, a Diduck, Dirk, Hunter, Peca, Babych, and

or even Murzyn arrive (in his own time) for some frontier justice.  Of course, they'd have to beat Gino to it.  If Momesso hadn't already set about 'em.

We have no-one remotely with such character on the present roster, none in the pipeline and seemingly, will continually choose not to draft one.  Worse,

if one does miraculously fall our way, we'll trade him because of some minor defficiency and we don't have the coaching skills to help him improve.

Good times.  Change a'coming.

At the same time they hand out loaded contracts to meat and potato guys they perceive as bringing character, leadership and 'intangibles'. 

32 minutes ago, xereau said:

If Toffoli wanted to be in Van, he would be in Van. The fact he isn't is used by those intent on sowing discord in this team's management. Toffoli played on a jr Habs team as a kid, his whole family are Habs fans, and yet we are expected to sit here and choke back the made up lie that Benning somehow &^@#ed up. I won't swallow it, because it's absolute crap. Of course Toffoli said he "wanted to play here this season", because in this PC culture, he, and every single other player would say the same bloody thing.

very well said!!!:canucks:

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

So what are you implying ? We shouldn’t have traded for him? I’m not worried about Schmidt  as he will find his place on this team. What other choice did we have? 

Ugh. Not implying anything. Just stating a fact, the Myers signing has been getting roasted on CDC since day one and so far the Schmidt acquisition seems as bad or worse and you barely hear anything about it here.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, I had some time on my hands, so decided to have a good look at some other rebuilt/rebuilding teams have fared.

The Avs completed their rebuild after 10 years struggle. 

Jets took 6 years, but the (Atlanta Thrashers) only qualified for P/Os just once in 10 yrs

NYI  had back 2 back rebuilds.  16 out of playoffs and 6- 1st round loses over 22yrs.

Hurricanes 9yr rebuild.

Devils 8yrs and still at it.

Blue Jackets 13 out of P/Os, 3 1st round losses in 17yrs.

And then we have the mighty Leafs.  10 out of playoffs and 5 1st round losses in 17 years.

Canuck fans are always arguing over when the rebuild started.   I think the rebuild started when they were disqualified from the P/s in 2014.

For the other teams, I only started the rebuild after they had a significant stretch of not qualifying for P/Os along with a small sprinkling of 1st round losses.  Canucks rebuild stats are 5 out of playoffs,  (1) first round loss and last season (1) second round loss.  Not looking so bad after considering these other teams. 

I guess I could have added the Oilers, Coyotes and Sabres records, but we know how bad is bad.

After looking this list over, I have surmised that a lot of Nuck fans are: impatient, Nuck centric, :frantic:and spoilt.

It’s not being impatient. Fans want to watch competitive hockey. We haven’t been good since 2011. 10 years too long my friend. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Hughes was a Calder finalist 

Edler is a solid dman (top 4)

Schmidt was supposed to be a top 2

Myers is a top 4-5 dman

Hamonic should easily be a 3rd pairing dman

Juolevi and Chatfield look good and we have Rathbone in the mix. 

The players are underperforming so. Why are we blaming JB? 

Coming into this season, I was excited because I thought our defense was upgraded from last year. 

Lol the defence sucks and has for a while now.

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Ugh. Not implying anything. Just stating a fact, the Myers signing has been getting roasted on CDC since day one and so far the Schmidt acquisition seems as bad or worse and you barely hear anything about it here.

Because it’s been 15 games.... not 2 years. 

35 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And another that JB just let walk .....Fantenberg.  Who is doing just fine in Podz KHL team with 6 assists and a  + 19 rating.  He didn't excite me in last years regular season (- 10), but played well in the playoffs, dependable and physical 

everyone plays fine in the KHL with  his 6 assists thats like a superstar here 

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

No management tried to shortcut our rebuild and shot himself in the foot. We just stepped back a few years. And now a 99% chance Benning is out of a job. 

why? because you say it is so! the rebuild has been coming along slowly, you should ask Toronto, Edmonton, Colorado how long their rebuilds has lasted

24 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Not my point. JB gets crucified on here for signing Myers to a 5x$6m contract on a daily basis and the acquisition of Schmidt is even worse because of the 3rd rounder. I know its a small sample size but so far Schmidt offers little to nothing and him and Myers are not worth anything close to $6m.

No one is worth $6 in real life. Why don't we put together a useless list of millions or rank the best player contracts vs the worst to see where he sits?

@GritGrinder well he sits 40th overall in d $$ , Schmidt just behind him. Maybe some guys can't contextualize the money?

Does it really hurt that much to have two starters tied up at that money for a couple years?

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

why? because you say it is so! the rebuild has been coming along slowly, you should ask Toronto, Edmonton, Colorado how long their rebuilds has lasted

Benning supporters will find a silver lining in anything. HiS dRaFtInG iS sO gOoD. He’s the one who pulled the trigger on Virtanen and Juolevi.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

It’s not being impatient. Fans want to watch competitive hockey. We haven’t been good since 2011. 10 years too long my friend. 

Agreed. Some of us aren't satisfied with the participation award.  Playing hard and playing to win matters.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Benning supporters will find a silver lining in anything. HiS dRaFtInG iS sO gOoD. He’s the one who pulled the trigger on Virtanen and Juolevi.

m my you are impatient. ask  oilers and the leafs how long their teams have been rebuilding. you think every GM in the league hasn't made mistakes?  check out how old Juolevi is. he started out  with being sidelined with injuries. nobody is saying he is a bust. as for Jake not Bennings fault Jake is lazy, when he was picked he was advertised as being good. at the draft all GMS take a chance!