The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Building a defense with UFA's. This will always cost you more then when you build from within. Benning has not been able to find top four defense other then Hughes from the draft. OJ was supposed to be that and at this point he is not.

Meyer is a 3/4 D man and should be around 4 to 5 mil. He should be playing around 18 minutes per game. Right now he is trying to do too much. If they had a real solid defensive partner to put him worth he would be fine. He is not a shut down guy.

I hope they bring back Tryamkin and find a solid top 2 guy in this years draft.

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

m my you are impatient. ask  oilers and the leafs how long their teams have been rebuilding. you think every GM in the league hasn't made mistakes?  check out how old Juolevi is. he started out  with being sidelined with injuries. nobody is saying he is a bust. as for Jake not Bennings fault Jake is lazy, when he was picked he was advertised as being good. at the draft all GMS take a chance!

We’re not the Maple Leafs or the Oilers are we ?

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If anything, the rebuild bore fruit earlier than management planned, raising expectations of impatient, panicky and reactionary fans.

Now, for a myriad of reasons they've taken a step back this season (thus far). An immensely common occurrence with rebuilding teams as numerous posters have now pointed out.

And yet the fan base wants half the 'useless' players traded, coaches and management fired etc. Like totally calm, rational people...:rolleyes:

We’re the paying customers. We’re allowed to be frustrated. 

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Building a defense with UFA's. This will always cost you more then when you build from within. Benning has not been able to find top four defense other then Hughes from the draft. OJ was supposed to be that and at this point he is not.

Meyer is a 3/4 D man and should be around 4 to 5 mil. He should be playing around 18 minutes per game. Right now he is trying to do too much. If they had a real solid defensive partner to put him worth he would be fine. He is not a shut down guy.

I hope they bring back Tryamkin and find a solid top 2 guy in this years draft.

Myers is the only UFA of any cap consequence.... So not really sure what your point is here? Are we complaining about Hamonic's $1.2? Chatfield (an undrafted UFA)?

And no CDC, Myers is not overpaid. By no means is he a bargain but $6m is the going rate for a 2nd pair, UFA aged D. My goodness some of you are out of touch with contract/player values.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

We’re the paying customers. We’re allowed to be frustrated. 

You can be whatever you want to be. Doesn't mean you're right or not a bunch of panicky, impatient, reactionary yahoos. Which I, in turn, am 'allowed' to point out.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, xereau said:

If Toffoli wanted to be in Van, he would be in Van. The fact he isn't is used by those intent on sowing discord in this team's management. Toffoli played on a jr Habs team as a kid, his whole family are Habs fans, and yet we are expected to sit here and choke back the made up lie that Benning somehow &^@#ed up. I won't swallow it, because it's absolute crap. Of course Toffoli said he "wanted to play here this season", because in this PC culture, he, and every single other player would say the same bloody thing.

I'm calling BS here. He absolutely wanted to stay.

Toffoli isn't a Canuck because we couldn't afford him, it's that simple. They couldn't create cap space & Toffoli had a good offer he had to take. Benning himself admitted as much. 

Toffoli couldn't wait forever, it was the most uncertain UFA market ever. Look what happened to guys like Granlund & Hoffman. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Not my point. JB gets crucified on here for signing Myers to a 5x$6m contract on a daily basis and the acquisition of Schmidt is even worse because of the 3rd rounder. I know its a small sample size but so far Schmidt offers little to nothing and him and Myers are not worth anything close to $6m.

Yet Schmidt is a +3, Myers a +0 and the highest minute man on the whole team. Schmidt is third. Myers 6 points actually look pretty strong considering no PP time (yes 10 seconds here and there). Hughes is -12 and has a total of 8 points on even strength. 

Without Myers and Schmidt we would have gotten scored on double digits every second game. They were +/- 0 last game too.