The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, LAorVancouver said:

Hi all! New to the site but really excited for the game today.

Any idea why they are starting Holtby vs the younger goalie if Holtby already played several games in a row?

This Is The Worst Kill Me GIF by Film RiotBut seriously welcome. 

Edited by Wayne Glensky

1 minute ago, Nathancanuck said:

Yet Schmidt is a +3, Myers a +0 and the highest minute man on the whole team. Schmidt is third. Myers 6 points actually look pretty strong considering no PP time (yes 10 seconds here and there). Hughes is -12 and has a total of 8 points on even strength. 

Without Myers and Schmidt we would have gotten scored on double digits every second game. They were +/- 0 last game too. 

Overpaid bums.

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned already. But no Simmonds for TO tonight 

I missed the game, did he break that wrist on Jordie's helmet?

Edit, nevermind. That was the game before. I see he was hit by a puck in the wrist.

Edited by MattJVD

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

I missed the game, did he break that wrist on Jordie's helmet?

No. “Simmonds, 32, scored twice in the game, but took a clearing attempt off his left arm in the third period. The injury was looked at by a trainer on the bench before Simmonds headed to the dressing room for more treatment.”

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Building a defense with UFA's. This will always cost you more then when you build from within. Benning has not been able to find top four defense other then Hughes from the draft. OJ was supposed to be that and at this point he is not.

Meyer is a 3/4 D man and should be around 4 to 5 mil. He should be playing around 18 minutes per game. Right now he is trying to do too much. If they had a real solid defensive partner to put him worth he would be fine. He is not a shut down guy.

I hope they bring back Tryamkin and find a solid top 2 guy in this years draft.

when we got Myers he was already making   6 mil on the jets. we got him for 6 mill which many said was great.  i don't know what everyone is expecting,  but Myers is exactly what we need

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

From what I recall hearing, Jim had moves being worked on to clear the appropriate cap to re-sign him. We wanted him back and were actively working towards doing so.

Unfortunately, given the odd year, pandemic, flat cap etc, this offseason was a large challenge for most GM's and Benning has a lot of balls to juggle (including the stellar Schmidt deal). 

He needed to get duck's in a row before committing to guys like Toffoli (or Stecher, for those still whining about him as well).

Now understandably, those guys and their agents didn't want to risk waiting too long and being left without a seat when the music stopped/forced to take a much lower contract as cap space dwindled across the league. So while we were getting said ducks in a row, they signed elsewhere, as was their prerogative.

A series of unfortunate events, sure. But we're hardly the only team that went through it. 

Exactly, but it's easy to yell at your computer with angry fingers.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers is the only UFA of any cap consequence.... So not really sure what your point is here? Are we complaining about Hamonic's $1.2? Chatfield (an undrafted UFA)?

And no CDC, Myers is not overpaid. By no means is he a bargain but $6m is the going rate for a 2nd pair, UFA aged D. My goodness some of you are out of touch with contract/player values.

Well, if you are happy with this defense then yes Meyers is the only one of consequence. He IS a bit over paid. 

Are you happy with this D?     If you are not then that means they will be going back to the UFA market. Unless they can make a trade .

The point is quite clear. If you are not build your D through the draft then you will be over paying to bring in UFA's.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Well, if you are happy with this defense then yes Meyers is the only one of consequence. He IS a bit over paid. 

Are you happy with this D?     If you are not then that means they will be going back to the UFA market. Unless they can make a trade .

The point is quite clear. If you are not build your D through the draft then you will be over paying to bring in UFA's.

" Unless they can make a trade ."

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

From what I recall hearing, Jim had moves being worked on to clear the appropriate cap to re-sign him. We wanted him back and were actively working towards doing so.

Unfortunately, given the odd year, pandemic, flat cap etc, this offseason was a large challenge for most GM's and Benning has a lot of balls to juggle (including the stellar Schmidt deal). 

He needed to get duck's in a row before committing to guys like Toffoli (or Stecher, for those still whining about him as well).

Now understandably, those guys and their agents didn't want to risk waiting too long and being left without a seat when the music stopped/forced to take a much lower contract as cap space dwindled across the league. So while we were getting said ducks in a row, they signed elsewhere, as was their prerogative.

A series of unfortunate events, sure. But we're hardly the only team that went through it. 

That's fine to believe that.

I just don't like characterizing Toffoli has some kind of dishonest liar rather than admitting the reality of the situation. When it comes to that part it's a matter of fact not a matter of liking or disliking management. 

I think they presented ownership with a plan involving buyouts, but it was nixed. Id need to see evidence regarding a trade as I don't know what trade they would've been able to pull off to keep Toffoli, unless it was trading Hog or Pod. You'd think if they had a deal to move $$$ they would've still done it post-Toffoli to try and target someone else.  

Edited by Smashian Kassian
Management not ownership*
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

No, he really isn't overpaid. I keep asking for this long list of cheaper, UFA aged, top 4 D (and pre taking bargain covid deals this year) that have signed for less from people... Thus far crickets.

So you're complaining about something that hasn't happened... Ok.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, he really isn't overpaid. I keep asking for this long list of cheaper, UFA aged, top 4 D (and pre taking bargain covid deals this year) that have signed for less from people... Thus far crickets.

So you're complaining about something that hasn't happened... Ok.

adam savage mythbusters GIF

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We only have one right handed dman, or are you missing that point?

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That's fine to believe that.

I just don't like characterizing Toffoli has some kind of dishonest liar rather than admitting the reality of the situation. When it comes to that part it's a matter of fact not a matter of liking or disliking management. 

I think they presented ownership with a plan involving buyouts, but it was nixed. Id need to see evidence regarding a trade as I don't know what trade they would've been able to pull off to keep Toffoli, unless it was trading Hog or Pod. You'd think if they had a deal to move $$$ they would've still done it post-Toffoli to try and target someone else.  

Why pay the price in futures when your guy is gone?

As nice as the cap space might be, if you don't need it, paying extra to get it is just poor asset management.