The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

35 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I assume you got 7th place ribbons as a kid ?

I have to chime in here on this. 6 years, grade 1 to grade 6 before I got a ribbon (3rd place in a relay race that had only 3 entrants!). Another 5 years before I found my event (pole vault) and began to get ribbons. Cut from about 5 different teams from grade 3 to grade 9 before I found my team (rugby, because they had a 2nd team)). 5 years of 2nd division, before I made 1st division (UVIC tour of Great Britain 1969). The same sort of thing happened in education, 2nd to lowest of 5 grade 7 divisions. Two years later, up to the 1st division or 4 in grade 9. One of top students in school by grade 12. Eventually taking honours courses in 4th year Math.  If I had been given a participation ribbon, I doubt that I could have done this. I still have ALL my ribbons and awards because they were so hard to get.  I even have my Dad's track ribbons and school rugby photo from North Vancouver High School in 1924.  What we are witnessing in schools now, is students, and parents, are expecting an "A" or a "B" for just showing up.Sorry for the rant.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette. 

Watch the games. They aren’t putting forth the effort to help their team, at the very least, look like they’re competitive. They’re just floating like everyone else on the team right now, hoping that someone in the veteran core will show them the way. 

Sadly, the veteran core doesn’t seem capable of getting them out of the funk. Should these insanely talented kids not grab that reign and say “&^@# it” and do whatever they can to make their team the best it can be?

I find that list borderline absurd tbh Phil.

Boeser?  Really?  You've added a guy to that list who has been one of the hardest working, most consistent players (even when he was injured).

A few weeks into the season and it's enough to call guys like EP and Hughes "entitled" and "lazy".

I might agree that Pettersson has more to give - that he's not playing the same game without the puck that we're used to seeing of him - but to call these guys entitled and lazy is awfully hair-trigger - extremely premature - and it's also a subjective judgement of character that you are presuming based on....?

I think it's your frustration speaking moreso than a 'prescription'.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, he really isn't overpaid. I keep asking for this long list of cheaper, UFA aged, top 4 D (and pre taking bargain covid deals this year) that have signed for less from people... Thus far crickets.

So you're complaining about something that hasn't happened... Ok.

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Any time you are are signing UFA's you are paying a premium. That is why you need to have young players coming in through your system. Jim has not found much of substance for our defense. You need to have players on entry level or bridge deals to keep your costs down. You then can sign a player or two to fill holes.   They are having to build their entire D core with UFA's and thus the costs go up big time. Edler is over paid also. 

You can't have 4 to 5 D at 6 mil. A player like Hoglander gives you 3 years of controlled costs. Hughes for 3 years.  Where are those 2,3,4 or 5 defensemen who are under controlled costs.

Vegas has 21 mil in their D.

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers is the only UFA of any cap consequence.... So not really sure what your point is here? Are we complaining about Hamonic's $1.2? Chatfield (an undrafted UFA)?

And no CDC, Myers is not overpaid. By no means is he a bargain but $6m is the going rate for a 2nd pair, UFA aged D. My goodness some of you are out of touch with contract/player values.

Tanev is as good or better than myers and signed for less term and only 4.5m, so believe it or not Myers is overpaid...you can choose to believe otherwise if you want

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yes. Send a clear cut message. Benning got rid of the clubhouse identity we had in 2013, there's no point of recreating it by letting vets coast when younger players are chomping at the bits to get playing time. Edler's laziness cost us 2 PP's in the 1st 5 minutes. He gets outmuscled and outworked every shift. It's pathetic. He's not the only problem on the team, but you gotta start somewhere. 

worst idea - and mischaracterization - I've seen in a while.

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Any time you are are signing UFA's you are paying a premium. That is why you need to have young players coming in through your system. Jim has not found much of substance for our defense. You need to have players on entry level or bridge deals to keep your costs down. You then can sign a player or two to fill holes.   They are having to build their entire D core with UFA's and thus the costs go up big time. Edler is over paid also. 

You can't have 4 to 5 D at 6 mil. A player like Hoglander gives you 3 years of controlled costs. Hughes for 3 years.  Where are those 2,3,4 or 5 defensemen who are under controlled costs.

Vegas has 21 mil in their D.

Edler is on a large, home town discount. You're daft.

You mean like Hughes, Juolevi, Chatfield, Rathbone, Rafferty, Woo, Brisebois...?

23 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I have to chime in here on this. 6 years, grade 1 to grade 6 before I got a ribbon (3rd place in a relay race that had only 3 entrants!). Another 5 years before I found my event (pole vault) and began to get ribbons. Cut from about 5 different teams from grade 3 to grade 9 before I found my team (rugby, because they had a 2nd team)). 5 years of 2nd division, before I made 1st division (UVIC tour of Great Britain 1969). The same sort of thing happened in education, 2nd to lowest of 5 grade 7 divisions. Two years later, up to the 1st division or 4 in grade 9. One of top students in school by grade 12. Eventually taking honours courses in 4th year Math.  If I had been given a participation ribbon, I doubt that I could have done this. I still have ALL my ribbons and awards because they were so hard to get.  I even have my Dad's track ribbons and school rugby photo from North Vancouver High School in 1924.  What we are witnessing in schools now, is students, and parents, are expecting an "A" or a "B" for just showing up.Sorry for the rant.

No I agree with you. It’s a toxic culture when you think about it. Kids now don’t understand adversity unless you are extremely competitive. Most kids will just go through the motions and expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. I had mediocre grades in highschool but I deserved it. There’s no more accountability. And parents are huge contributors to that.