The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm sure he wanted to be in Vancouver. I'm also sure he wanted to be in Montreal. They're not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, as Benning said himself, Vancouver just kinda ran out of time. 

I think what everyone is focusing on is what TT eventually got paid, I would harbour a guess he was asking for a lot more from the Canucks.  11 points in 11 games to end the season? His Agent would have felt he had the upper hand.  You combine that with the worse kept secret in the NHL, that Benning overpays for players, I can see both sides not getting what they intended.

Does not excuse all the other dud contracts.  If players don’t want to be in a hockey mad market like Vancouver, so be it.  But we should not have to overpay to get them here.  Vancouver ain’t Detroit or Buffalo, nice place to live.

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Tanev is as good or better than myers and signed for less term and only 4.5m, so believe it or not Myers is overpaid...you can choose to believe otherwise if you want

Better defensively. Sure. He doesn't have the offense, size or health of Myers. Like it or not, offense pays. So does size. And Tanev also signed during a pandemic.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm thinking it was all the crap he was subjected to with many of the posts he made. While I did not always agree with a few of his posts, he never came across as a troll, at least IMO and diversity of opinion is what makes the chat room interesting

He was borderline covid denying in the covid thread, plus all the other stuff.

Got called on it, took his marbles and went elsewhere.

Was decent while it lasted.

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

LOL

That is your list for competent D men that Benning has brought in? You just reinforced my argument. 

6 mil for Edler is a home town discount?

The best defensive teams in the NHL don't spend more than 25 mil. You do the math. 

We'll when you add them to Schmidt, Myers, Tryamkin, (Edler for now) it's solid D (even if they, along with the rest of the team, aren't presently playing like it).

None of them need to come in and set the world on fire. And Juolevi and Rathbone both easily have top 4 upside. Woo likely bottom pair but possibly 2nd.

Plus I'd imagine we'll be looking to trade for a guy another team can't protect for the ED as well as possible adding another high draft D this coming draft.

Sorry, but that's a very solid base. I also think you're vastly oversimplifying the cap. How much was SJS paying? Nashville? 

Edited by aGENT

32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Giving up more consequential futures never made sense. Which is why I don't think they had a trade regardless.

It's not like they haven't been trying to move $$$ for years now. 

I never said 'more consequential'. There's a price that made sense to be able to retain Toffoli. Cards didn't happen to play out that way.

Oh well.

No sense in spending those assets under current conditions once you're guy is gone.

2 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

No management tried to shortcut our rebuild and shot himself in the foot. We just stepped back a few years. And now a 99% chance Benning is out of a job. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

If anything, the rebuild bore fruit earlier than management planned, raising expectations of impatient, panicky and reactionary fans.

Now, for a myriad of reasons they've taken a step back this season (thus far). An immensely common occurrence with rebuilding teams as numerous posters have now pointed out.

And yet the fan base wants half the 'useless' players traded, coaches and management fired etc. Like totally calm, rational people...:rolleyes:

Gunna push back on this one.

Management raised expectations themselves when they traded the first for Miller. (And Benning reiterated again in January that he didn't view this season as a 'step back' year)

Impatience is actually why giving up the first was originally criticized. It's why some of the moves up until 2017 were criticized.

Can't have it both ways. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

He was borderline covid denying in the covid thread, plus all the other stuff.

Got called on it, took his marbles and went elsewhere.

Was decent while it lasted.

There is no doubt that the variance of opinion on the severity of Covid is a polarizing issue. It is one that even comes up with some of my relatives removing me from their friends list  because they choose to believe all the conspiracy crap that is out there. I try not to get to upset with it all as I firmly believe time will prove me to be one the right side of that discussion.

I hope that his leaving was not just due to some of the nastiness thrown at him for any of his hockey posts

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I never said 'more consequential'. There's a price that made sense to be able to retain Toffoli. Cards didn't happen to play out that way.

Oh well.

No sense in spending those assets under current conditions once you're guy is gone.

I'm saying more consequential - because there's a difference between giving up Lind or a 3rd, and giving up Pod, Hog or a 1st.

As much as Benning gets crap for targetting OEL, this is part of the reason why I think focusing heavily on OEL made sense.

If they could've shifted money spent on overpaid bottom 6/non-roster contracts to a top end defenseman. They could've used their money to bring back Toff for example, rather than needing to replace the defenseman.

We never knew about Schmidt. But if that was always on the table it would've been great to send Myers to Arizona then bring both Schmidt & OEL aboard. (Obvs hypothetical)

Basically; if there was a trade to spend an asset(s), that would've been it IMO.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

. (And Benning reiterated again in January that he didn't view this season as a 'step back' year)

What else would he say?

Any other statement would result in him getting ripped, by almost everyone.