The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

40 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Its because we have been at it much longer.

Benning has been at the helm for 7 years,  SEVEN. And there is so much dead money, colorado and Winnipeg arent cap teams or at least werent at those times you mentioned.

Fire them all. We are so close,  just need some fresh minds and eyes in management and coaching staff. 

We just need the expiring contracts to expire. 

JB has done a good job since his first few seasons of signing veterans. He's been smarter with the cap. Losing Toffoli sucks but that was the result of his first few seasons blunders. Everyone was fine with him last year. Not much has changed but now we all want someone's head

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Would like to see Michaelis/Breezer/Rathbone get a game at some point. We're floundering out there anyways, how could it get worse?

I'm curious about what some of our depth guys can bring too but we gotta keep icing the most competitive lineup possible so that we can get back to winning as soon as possible.  I don't think that we should write off the rest of the season just yet.  Sure, it's been ugly so far, but I'm still confident that we can still turn it around and be competitive again with our current lineup.  In fact I'm quite mystified as to why we're performing so poorly.  We need to change something I suppose but that doesn't mean panicking and blowing it all up.  Go Canucks Go!

I hope they come out with something to prove after all the heat they’ve been getting from everyone...about the lack of identity, lack of grit, being the good losers etc. As much as some it may be warranted, I hate hearing this about my team. Get out there and turn things around boys!! 

Bounce-back game here, the turning point?! I sure hope so! Go Canucks goooo!

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

JB has done a good job since his first few seasons of signing veterans. He's been smarter with the cap. Losing Toffoli sucks but that was the result of his first few seasons blunders. Everyone was fine with him last year. Not much has changed but now we all want someone's head

In the Benning hatter's defense, quite a bit has changed. Five regulars are gone - Marky, Toff, Tanev, Leivo, Stetch.

I still think JB should stay and see this through. Some of the contracts are ugly, yes.. but no one predicted Hughes and Petey to be this good this quick and to have a 2nd round team.

4 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I'm curious about what some of our depth guys can bring too but we gotta keep icing the most competitive lineup possible so that we can get back to winning as soon as possible.  I don't think that we should write off the rest of the season just yet.  Sure, it's been ugly so far, but I'm still confident that we can still turn it around and be competitive again with our current lineup.  In fact I'm quite mystified as to why we're performing so poorly.  We need to change something I suppose but that doesn't mean panicking and blowing it all up.  Go Canucks Go!

I'm not writing it off yet, they could turn it around. But at the same time, a fresh body with a more positive mindset may be what we need right now. And maybe giving them more than 6:30 of icetime (Bailey)

Edited by Chickenspear

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

100% BS, Myers contract is as bad as Eriksson's.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Its because we have been at it much longer.

Benning has been at the helm for 7 years,  SEVEN. And there is so much dead money, colorado and Winnipeg arent cap teams or at least werent at those times you mentioned.

Fire them all. We are so close,  just need some fresh minds and eyes in management and coaching staff. 

We really haven't. Go look and see how many years those teams floundered around rebuilding/out of the playoffs. Since 2007, Colorado missed the playoffs 8 of 11 years until their recent 3 year run. Winnipeg goes WAY back to Atlanta where they missed the playoffs a whopping 15 of 17 years before their recent steady run.

So no, as usual, it's just Canuck fans lacking perspective. We haven't been at it 'much longer'.

The only person who should care of we're a 'cap team' is Francesco. Half that 'dead money' comes off this summer. The rest, next summer. Most of it isn't even 'dead' again an oversimplification, overreaction and melodramatic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

Same line up? More of LE.

I'd have to think that LE experiment is over after one game.  He was  -2 on the night, was only mentioned once (I think) when he went offside, and Green didn't even use him in the PK role that he is now best known for, preferring to leave Roussel with Sutter (even although iirc Sutter and Eriksson last season went something like 34 consecutive PK's without being scored on)

I like Eriksson, but he is like that old lumbering SUV now with the "check engine" light on. ..... he just doesn't have it any more. I think he is well liked in the room, but maybe in the same way that we are fond of that old uncle that never fails to remind us of the 3 holes in one he had 25 years ago.  But I will always have a soft spot for him after Petey's comments at his rookie year end-of-season presser (or it might have been a postgame HNIC interview) - that Loui had him over his first Christmas in Canada and at his own expense flew up JD from Utica to be with them for a Swedish style Christmas.  (And isn't his locker room name "Sweetness")

Regardless, time to bite the bullet and persuade him to retire and offer him a management position

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I think we need a change in attitude when defending. Last game it was very noticeable. The Canucks were laying on the body on the forecheck and in the attacking zone. In our own zone it looked like no hit shiny. 

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

at the very least, look like they’re competitive. They’re just floating like everyone else on the team right now, 

Peterson's pretty p...'d off these days.  He keeps breaking his stick

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

JB has not done a good job. He’s handcuffed the team with $&!# contracts. 

18 minutes ago, Maginator said:

In the Benning hatter's defense, quite a bit has changed. Five regulars are gone - Marky, Toff, Tanev, Leivo, Stetch.

I still think JB should stay and see this through. Some of the contracts are ugly, yes.. but no one predicted Hughes and Petey to be this good this quick and to have a 2nd round team.

Besides Toffoli, would would be ok with the contracts given out to Tanev and Markstrom (love those guys btw) or would we be complaining in 3/4 years when Petey, Hughes, Boeser are up for huge raises and we don't have cap space because we have a highly paid goaltender in his mid 30s and an injury prone dman? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

All you need to call out is our genius coaching staff who can't fathom guys playing their off-side.

Like what kind of bull$&!# system is predicated by balance of RH and LH players?

What a bunch of crap.

I think it's more of a daily cap management issue.   Juolevi is on ELC, which means potential bonuses count against the cap, whereas Chatfield isn't.  Swap them and you have to clear about another $600k of cap room. (And I am not sure under these covid-season rules if original taxi-squad waivers apply whole season, or if they need fresh waivers to go down after 30 days since last waiver)