The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

First :

tenor.gif

Second:

Virtanen doesn't really do the things you listed.

Oh OK, I guess all of our push back is going to come from 1 player who has never played in the NHL yet. Cool plan. 

The others are going to come from where, Free Agent frenzy then? :picard:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Oh OK, I guess all of our push back is going to come from 1 player who has never played in the NHL yet.

Need to 'start' somewhere (and it isn't really a start as we have a smattering of players with pushback already). You asked for players with pushback, and he is one (and more than Virtanen has ever bothered showing). He's coming. Be happy about it. He's what you want.

Maybe one or two, sure. And You can't complain above about a drafted, 'not yet NHL' player coming being a 'cool plan' and then, without a hint of irony, complain about where they come from. Where do you think they come from? You draft them, you trade for them or you sign them. That's where.

What's your 'cool plan'?

We've got guys like Motte, MacEwan, Myers etc. The likely return of Tryamkin, guys like Lind and Gadjovich. The rest we can sign and trade for (and continue to draft and develop).

Either way, I can tell you that Virtanen has shown no signs of being the answer to your particular dilemma.

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think he's worth picking up, but only for the team that he's not already on. He's a great candidate for a reclamation project, as he's ripe for a change of scenery. I would do Jake V for Jake DB straight up, and I think it's a great win-win for both players and teams, as they're in the exact same situation. 

I'd love to see that deal. I'd do Jake + AG for DeBrusk. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Need to 'start' somewhere (and it isn't really a start as we have a smattering of players with pushback already). You asked for players with pushback, and he is one (and more than Virtanen has ever bothered showing). He's coming. Be happy about it. He's what you want.

Maybe one or two, sure. And You can't complain above about a drafted, 'not yet NHL' player coming being a 'cool plan' and then, without a hint of irony, complain about where they come from. Where do you think they come from? You draft them, you trade for them or you sign them. That's where.

What's your 'cool plan'?

We've got guys like Motte, MacEwan, Myers etc. The likely return of Tryamkin, guys like Lind and Gadjovich. The rest we can sign and trade for (and continue to draft and develop).

Either way, I can tell you that Virtanen has shown no signs of being the answer to your particular dilemma.

Podz will take a couple years in NHL before he can be counted on as a "pushback" type player. 

He'll work hard. Has a great motor. But asking all that out of a rookie especially  coming in from a different continent is asking for too much. 

Need multiple players. Not just a rookie coming in next year..

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Podz will take a couple years in NHL before he can be counted on as a "pushback" type player. 

He'll work hard. Has a great motor. But asking all that out of a rookie especially  coming in from a different continent is asking for too much. 

Need multiple players. Not just a rookie coming in next year..

As I said, it's a 'start'. I'm not expecting Podkolzin to fix this particular issue, all on his own, or next year. That's ridiculous. It's a process. You seem to be confusing me for someone with short term thinking.

There's a reason Benning stated we're a couple years from contending. We need to continue add guys like Podkolzin, Lind, Woo, Gadjovich (and whoever else we develop/trade/sign) to the likes of Miller, Motte, MacEwan, Horvat, Myers and give the young guys time to blossom in to those roles.

And again, Virtanen has not shown anything to be considered a piece of solving that particular puzzle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Keeping Virtanen for his pushback, when pushback is one of the cheaper things to acquire in Free Agency, is just grasping at straws at this point. 

Worrying about Jake is the least of our problems at this point. Its funny people on here are crying to get rid of these "Free Agency" type players yet they are an answer to our problems? 

Way too much concern here on a 2 million dollar player who's contract expires next year. 

I think people like to complain just for the sake of complaining me thinks. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Jake has been given multiple roles, though, and hasn't taken advantage of any opportunity. At this stage, the only chance he has of it "getting through to him" is if he gets sent to another team. He isn't going to do it here with us. 

Agreed, and I'd be hard-pressed to even say who he gels best with, let alone produce any consistent results.

Chemistry/ fit wise, there's Lotto Line, then Bo's current line, then Roussel - Gaudette - MacEwen (Sutter has his role and would be a good shutdown playoff 3rd C, but 26-96-71 works well as a unit, whereas we'd need to find wingers who work well with Sutter and Jake).  The 4th line was always going to be primarily chip-and-chase and defense focused, so maybe (unfortunately) that's where Jake and Sutter fit best (while Motte just does his thing on LW).   

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed, and I'd be hard-pressed to even say who he gels best with, let alone produce any consistent results.

Chemistry/ fit wise, there's Lotto Line, then Bo's current line, then Roussel - Gaudette - MacEwen (Sutter has his role and would be a good shutdown playoff 3rd C, but 26-96-71 works well as a unit, whereas we'd need to find wingers who work well with Sutter and Jake).  The 4th line was always going to be primarily chip-and-chase and defense focused, so maybe (unfortunately) that's where Jake and Sutter fit best (while Motte just does his thing on LW).   

He'd have great chemistry with Eriksson in the press box.  Eriksson can take him under his wing and teach him how to be even lazier than he already is.  Jake's the first forward I scratch once guys start coming back.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He'd have great chemistry with Eriksson in the press box.  Eriksson can take him under his wing and teach him how to be even lazier than he already is.  Jake's the first forward I scratch once guys start coming back.

The hierarchy goes Eriksson, Virtanen, Roussel.  Quite the unholy trifecta of laziness.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd love to see that deal. I'd do Jake + AG for DeBrusk. 

Hmm, straight across, I'm in, but both our guys I pass; but I sense and feel ya on the frustration. 

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gawd, I love your hard-hitting posts. Makes me laugh out loud every time. Kudos on one of the best CDC bits around.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Oh OK, I guess all of our push back is going to come from 1 player who has never played in the NHL yet. Cool plan. 

I like Jake and all but if Debrusk is on the table that's a trade I make. As for toughness and not much else, those players are the easiest and cheapest to acquire. People bitch about are bottom six being overpaid so going forward if that's gonna be Jakes role @3+  million id rather see a guy like summoned at 900k who brings similar production and toughness. Hopefully Ferland can get past his injury and a guy Gadjavich (wrong spelling I think) can be a decent bottom six option.

2 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Hopefully Ferland can get past his injury

This would be an awesome add to our group (if he can ever get back on the ice and tracking the game and it's speed is no longer an issue for him). I am personally of the opinion that he is done but we don't know much of anything about his health. I just hope he can have a good life whether he plays hockey or not-concussion/head trauma can truly ruin a life.

• Cheers 1