Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

I disagree, DeBrusk is above 0.5 PPG over his career. The majority of his career he's produced over 40 points, and don't forget last season was shutdown prematurely. He still had 17 games left to get 5 points. I say its likely he would've hit 40 pts again last year w/o the stoppage.  

 

And even if he is a 35-40 point player, that's still a better contribution than we've been getting from Virtanen.

 

36 pts from Virtanen (and neither of them have produced in small samples this season) so I'm not sure what your argument here is - particularly when you compare the contexts of their production. 

You can argue very reasonably that he's more likely to get 40 pts given three years of playing with Krejci down tilted ice, assuming that continues - but the basis of believing he's a better gamble is to assume Virtanen regresses, or that last year was an outlier (which I would not assume). 

Regardless, I don't look at DeBrusk's outcomes to date and consider him a player I'd expect to uptick - so given the other elements of his game, he would not be a player I would target.    I'd much rather pursue a player like Boone Jenner, a young guy like Nick Paul who's likely to uptick - guys that are more versatile, that 'bust' as good bottom 6 players, that play a heavy game - I think this group needs more of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldnews said:

and evidently would rather see Messier in a Canucks jersey.

or Eriksson.

or a floating Mats Sundin at 10 million.

 

sorry but I think you were seriously embellishing there.

Mats may not have been worth the 10m but he was still decently productive age and other factors considered. Basically groomed Kesler too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Mats may not have been worth the 10m but he was still decently productive age and other factors considered. Basically groomed Kesler too. 

this is a favorite story of mine.   how did Mats Sundin - who was never a Kesler type player,  'groom' him in half a season, no less?

wadr - AV 'groomed' Kesler - and Burrows - and Hansen.

Edited by oldnews
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

this is a favorite story of mine.   how did Mats Sundin - who was never a Kesler type player,  'groom' him in half a season, no less?

wadr - AV 'groomed' Kesler - and Burrows - and Hansen.

By putting his ego in check and forcing him to play the wing instead of being the star second line centre? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

36 pts from Virtanen (and neither of them have produced in small samples this season) so I'm not sure what your argument here is - particularly when you compare the contexts of their production. 

You can argue very reasonably that he's more likely to get 40 pts given three years of playing with Krejci down tilted ice, assuming that continues - but the basis of believing he's a better gamble is to assume Virtanen regresses, or that last year was an outlier (which I would not assume). 

Regardless, I don't look at DeBrusk's outcomes to date and consider him a player I'd expect to uptick - so given the other elements of his game, he would not be a player I would target.    I'd much rather pursue a player like Boone Jenner, a young guy like Nick Paul who's likely to uptick - guys that are more versatile, that 'bust' as good bottom 6 players, that play a heavy game - I think this group needs more of that.

If we got Boone Jenner for Virtanen I would be very very happy. Would fit in as the 3rd C right away and for next year. Only way I could see them trading is to trade cap. Seems like a bit of a Torts playing as he's playing him a lot.

 

Doubtful we'd be able to get Paul as much as I would like to. He's playing very well with the Sens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the thing....if you think our trash for your trash is going to turn this team around, you are sadly mistaken

 

Virtanen + a pick     or       Virtanen and a prospect gets you something a little better than Jake

 

Problem is everyone knows Jake has been benched for more than a few games.........................why would they over pay?

 

As someone said earlier, if you were going to trade Jake, we should have traded him earlier...........

 

Jimbo has a real problem doing that..............he never likes trading good for good............

 

always trying to one up the other GM, instead of just making a good hockey trade :picard: 

 

Jake was a 18 and 18 man last year, good stats for a lower 1st line player..........this year not so much

 

Why trade your depth for the sake of making a trade? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

By putting his ego in check and forcing him to play the wing instead of being the star second line centre? 

Kesler talked about the impact mats had on him. It's not nothing it was a big acquisition for his development of becoming an every day professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got Boone Jenner for Virtanen I would be very very happy. Would fit in as the 3rd C right away and for next year. Only way I could see them trading is to trade cap. Seems like a bit of a Torts playing as he's playing him a lot.

 

Doubtful we'd be able to get Paul as much as I would like to. He's playing very well with the Sens.

I'm not proposing Virtanen for Jenner.  Or Paul for that matter.  

I would also not be looking to get whatever I can - I'd be focusing on what I want/need, foremost, not taking a default deal on Virtanen..

 

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Just heard Don and Moj on 1040 mention there are reports from Boston that a trade may be in the works of JV for a Jake Debrusk

If that’s true you take that trade ten out of ten times. That could turn into a huge steal for us 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, linden17 said:

If that’s true you take that trade ten out of ten times. That could turn into a huge steal for us 

How does the cap space work out though?

 

We would need to add. 
 

Virtanen + Benn + 3rd?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I don't see the value in trading a struggling winger for someone else's struggling winger.

 

if anything, Vince Dunn makes more sense....

Or Vince Gill... he can write some sad tear jerker songs for the bandwagon fans!

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is the end for Virtanen here in Vancouver its for the best. It is on Jake at this point. Canucks have been patient for 6 years you don't have 10 years to put it together in the NHL. Hope they get a draft pick or young player back. All I know if I was 6'1 220 and played for my hometown team I grew up idolizing I would have done a lot more in the hitting, fighting and going to the net department. Especially if my O game didn't translate, Virtanen seemed to accept losing and pack in it mentality most nights

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

If we could flip Debrusk for Dunn that would also be fine. 

Hughes                                Myers

 

 

Schmidt                              Hamonic

 

 

Edler                                   Chatfield

 

 

OJ                                        Rafferty 

 

 

Benn                                    Woo

 

 

Rathbone

 

 

Brisebois

 

 

 

 

Yes! 

 

To fix the issue of having defensemen who cant play defense is to add more offense minded defensemen who suck at defending at checking!

 

 

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Dunn hamonic

OJ Benn

 

Or trade for a Dman that actually plays D with some snarl instead of another offensive smaller well skating poor defending dman?

 

Josh Manson

 

Hughes Manson

Schmidt Myers

Edler Hamonic

OJ  Benn

 

 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm done with Virtanen, he has been on this team for a while and he hasn't shown any consistent improvement. It would not be good for him or the team to keep him around, it would just be a continuing cycle of failure. I think it's time for us to move on from him. 

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Hughes                                Myers

 

 

Schmidt                              Hamonic

 

 

Edler                                   Chatfield

 

 

OJ                                        Rafferty 

 

 

Benn                                    Woo

 

 

Rathbone

 

 

Brisebois

 

 

 

 

Yes! 

 

To fix the issue of having defensemen who cant play defense is to add more offense minded defensemen who suck at defending at checking!

 

 

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Dunn hamonic

OJ Benn

 

Or trade for a Dman that actually plays D with some snarl instead of another offensive smaller well skating poor defending dman?

 

Josh Manson

 

Hughes Manson

Schmidt Myers

Edler Hamonic

OJ  Benn

 

 

Manson would be a dream but I don’t see him going anywhere. Same with Lindholm. All I know is we need defence more than offence with Podz in the wings. Thank god we didn’t trade our first for OEL like they wanted. Same with the playoff play ins where we sacrificed the 20th overall. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...