The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got Boone Jenner for Virtanen I would be very very happy. Would fit in as the 3rd C right away and for next year. Only way I could see them trading is to trade cap. Seems like a bit of a Torts playing as he's playing him a lot.

Doubtful we'd be able to get Paul as much as I would like to. He's playing very well with the Sens.

Yes please! 

I'd happily add to make that happen

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

If this is the end for Virtanen here in Vancouver its for the best. It is on Jake at this point. Canucks have been patient for 6 years you don't have 10 years to put it together in the NHL. Hope they get a draft pick or young player back. All I know if I was 6'1 220 and played for my hometown team I grew up idolizing I would have done a lot more in the hitting, fighting and going to the net department. Especially if my O game didn't translate, Virtanen seemed to accept losing and pack in it mentality most nights

Sounds eerily like Green's team now....

• Hydration 1

I would prefer getting a defenceman like a Dunn, but getting Debrusk is a good consulation.  Anyways, a sell low -> buy low (change of scenery) deal could still work out for the Nucks.  The team did a sell low (Gudbranson to Pittsburgh) for a buy low  (Pearson to Vancouver) type trade before and it turn out as a win for us.  

Edited by WestCoastDave
8 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

It makes sense if JB is trying to bring in DeBrusk. Still has those connections to Boston. I’ll take DeBrusk any day. 

Why would Boston do this deal unless Canucks add? 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

36 pts from Virtanen (and neither of them have produced in small samples this season) so I'm not sure what your argument here is - particularly when you compare the contexts of their production. 

You can argue very reasonably that he's more likely to get 40 pts given three years of playing with Krejci down tilted ice, assuming that continues - but the basis of believing he's a better gamble is to assume Virtanen regresses, or that last year was an outlier (which I would not assume). 

Regardless, I don't look at DeBrusk's outcomes to date and consider him a player I'd expect to uptick - so given the other elements of his game, he would not be a player I would target.    I'd much rather pursue a player like Boone Jenner, a young guy like Nick Paul who's likely to uptick - guys that are more versatile, that 'bust' as good bottom 6 players, that play a heavy game - I think this group needs more of that.

I would agree that Jenner and Paul would be better fits for this team and address the issue we have on the 3rd line.  Nothing wrong with adding a DeBrusk to the lineup though.  I think he adds more value than Virtanen at this point and it would allow Pearson to slide down to the 3rd line to make that more of the shutdown line and ease up on BO's defensive minutes.  However, if we could somehow flip Virtanen and Gaudette for Nick Paul or Boone Jenner that would be a great deal for Vancouver.  Even Logan Brown has more upside than either Virtanen or Gaudette as his size would keep him in the NHL at the very least in the bottom 6.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hometown kid Gaudette would love to go home, maybe its Gaud and Jake?

Thought Gaud had a good game tonight actually, more noticeable than Virtanen

Wouldn't be surprised if it's both those players for DeBrusk and a pick coming back. 

At the end of the day, it is a business. 

Time to move on from Virtanen. Hometown kid, I was really rooting hard for him to succeed in blue and green. 

Would not be the least bit surprised if he breaks out with Boston. They have a knack of developing power forwards....

Vancouver has the worst luck in developing any power forwards...last one was Bertuzzi, no? None after, and none before....What does that say about the ineptitude of this organization in terms of development. 

• Hydration 1
24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Why would Boston do this deal unless Canucks add? 

Mostly they'd be thinking back to their 1980's larceny.

Would say there's some pressure on Boston's GM as well. Sure, he landed Pasta-man; but in 2015 he crapped the bed with 3 1st's.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Mostly they'd be thinking back to their 1980's larceny.

Would say there's some pressure on Boston's GM as well. Sure, he landed Pasta-man; but in 2015 he crapped the bed with 3 1st's.

So Benning not the only idiot GM in the league. Gotcha. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So Benning not the only idiot GM in the league. Gotcha. 

Not sure of your point? There needs to be some reason from both sides, to come to the table. Although the Bruins seem to have a strong team every yr, they are a team whose main guys are getting longer in the tooth.

Wouldn't be surprised if they privately feel they're falling behind some eastern contenders/rivals.

• Hydration 1
8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Not sure of your point? There needs to be some reason from both sides, to come to the table. Although the Bruins seem to have a strong team every yr, they are a team whose main guys are getting longer in the tooth.

Wouldn't be surprised if they privately feel they're falling behind some eastern contenders/rivals.

Just saying that the GM of Boston (don't know his name) had 3 first round draft picks, but failed to pick Barzal in that, and Boeser as well? 

But I mean, I guess every GM misses, and doesn't always hit on their picks. But if that man were the GM of the Canucks, and he had three 1st round picks, and didn't select some amazing talent out of those picks. He'd be crucified like Benning has been as well. This market is sooo hard to be a GM in. Takes a particular kind of person to run the Canucks here.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Just saying that the GM of Boston (don't know his name) had 3 first round draft picks, but failed to pick Barzal in that, and Boeser as well? 

But I mean, I guess every GM misses, and doesn't always hit on their picks. But if that man were the GM of the Canucks, and he had three 1st round picks, and didn't select some amazing talent out of those picks. He'd be crucified like Benning has been as well. This market is sooo hard to be a GM in. Takes a particular kind of person to run the Canucks here.

I know, & thank the blessed heavens for their 2015 blundering gaffes! I believe them mulligans also included Kyle Connor, Chabot & a few other worthy possibilities.

• Hydration 1

All I want is a D who can actually play defense as the return. They can be no flash at all and have 0 points their whole career for all I care. This season if nothing else exposed how our collective obsession with offense from the back destroyed any semblance of a nhl defense with pretty much all of our D being offensively minded. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Hydration 1