The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. How would he do under a seasoned NHL coach? The Canucks have gone with Desjardins and Green, and both are looking incapable of managing an NHL team when things go south. When the season ends, and the house cleaning begins, hopefully the Aquilinis realize that the team needs proven, experienced and seasoned personnel in the GM and coaching staff. This could go a long way towards developing players. Hearing that Virtanen, Gaudette, and possibly Miller are all potential options for trade shows how Benning is operating out of desperation now. Leave the kids be for now. Let the new guys make the decisions, not the ones slowly losing grasp on the team on a whole. 

I saw the Virtanen tweet, but haven't seen anything about the others.  You got a link, Phill?

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. How would he do under a seasoned NHL coach? The Canucks have gone with Desjardins and Green, and both are looking incapable of managing an NHL team when things go south. When the season ends, and the house cleaning begins, hopefully the Aquilinis realize that the team needs proven, experienced and seasoned personnel in the GM and coaching staff. This could go a long way towards developing players. Hearing that Virtanen, Gaudette, and possibly Miller are all potential options for trade shows how Benning is operating out of desperation now. Leave the kids be for now. Let the new guys make the decisions, not the ones slowly losing grasp on the team on a whole. 

I saw the Virtanen tweet, but haven't seen anything about the others.  You got a link, Phill?

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

36 pts from Virtanen (and neither of them have produced in small samples this season) so I'm not sure what your argument here is - particularly when you compare the contexts of their production. 

You can argue very reasonably that he's more likely to get 40 pts given three years of playing with Krejci down tilted ice, assuming that continues - but the basis of believing he's a better gamble is to assume Virtanen regresses, or that last year was an outlier (which I would not assume). 

Regardless, I don't look at DeBrusk's outcomes to date and consider him a player I'd expect to uptick - so given the other elements of his game, he would not be a player I would target.    I'd much rather pursue a player like Boone Jenner, a young guy like Nick Paul who's likely to uptick - guys that are more versatile, that 'bust' as good bottom 6 players, that play a heavy game - I think this group needs more of that.

Yeah, sorry to see Virtanen go, but a 1 for 1 on Jenner (with maybe some add/cap retention?) is a very good trade (imo).

The face off results look great. There might be (minor) concerns expressed over point production, but the Canucks weren't that concerned about Malhotra scoring points as 3C, so if the Canucks had some fast(er) wingers to compliment Jenner then the 3rd line could be comparable to Malhotra, Higgins and Hansen. As I recall, they were physical, fast, defensively sound and could chip in with some goals every game or so. Jenner, Hoglander and <?> seems like it would be a good line.

The only (significant) issues I would have is the cap difference, and that Jenner has only one more year on his current deal. 

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:44 PM, oldnews said:

Yeah, to this day people repeat that dumbass one-liner...."defend the 0-0 tie".

They were the best possession team in the NHL, lead the league in scoring - and people whined that he was too much of a 'defense-first' coach.

The irony is that playing defense first is what leads to scoring more.  You can't score if you can't regain possession, period.  Such a simple 'dialectic' - but the vast majority of people - who know nothing at all about the game - or sport in general  - believe that playing defense 'stifles offense, or 'stifles' creativity.  It's about the most counterproductive falsehood you can cling to regarding a game like hockey.

that is interesting

especially in light of Greens recent statements that "you can't expect this team to play a defensive/grinding style"

not a direct quote but someything like that.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

According to Jimmy Murphy of Pittsburgh Hockey Now the Sabres/Devils/Penguins all might be interested along with the Bruins in Virtanen?

Take this rumour with a grain of salt. I don’t think it has sprouted legs yet. 

Maybe a cap dump goes with Jake...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Maybe a cap dump goes with Jake...

Next year Eriksson has only 3M in salary(after 1M signing bonus) for a 6M cap hit. 

If teams spending to the floor wanted to save 3M maybe. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

Well I am good as long as a return for Jake is either:

a) a pick with no money coming back

b) a young player/prospect 

c) not an old veteran with term left to meant just to give us more defensive play and reduce goals against as a short term bandaid to save Benning’s job.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, combover said:

Keep trying to defend a failure And fail at it. 

You said he does not trade for picks.

The other guy proved he does.

What you consider "picks", presumably ones like 2nds and 1sts, is not what you stated, maybe just implied.

So by the black and white argument he is right.

I'm not saying that the picks coming back are good, but they are picks, thus invalidating your original statement.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Although I’m far from a fan of Virtanen, I also think it would be foolish to move him with the coach likely leaving soon. He’s been playing for Green for YEARS.

Maybe a fresh start is just the jolt he needs? We’ve gone this far, and his value is almost zero. No sense trading him and watching him get the fresh start somewhere else, with nothing to show for it but a 4th round pick.

Sick and tired of fans making excuses for him year after year. Oh now it's Green, after we get a new coach and its same old Virt what are you guys gonna say?  Things like the coach is too defensive minded etc?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s the Oiler (Chia pet) way. You’re right, don’t let it happen here.