The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

27 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Sick and tired of fans making excuses for him year after year. Oh now it's Green, after we get a new coach and its same old Virt what are you guys gonna say?  Things like the coach is too defensive minded etc?

I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault but Virtanen. But that doesn’t mean a new coach might be able to push buttons that Green can not. Happens with lots of players.

I wanted Virtanen gone in the offseason - even if that meant not qualifying him and spending the money on someone else. But Benning chose to keep him, so might as well ride it out to see how he does under a new coach.

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yuck.  If we're going to give that package up, can we not take back a defenseman who can't play defense in return?

Ya.... he plays defence just fine and is the minute leader on a team with Dahlin on it.

Buffalo finally has some support pieces in place so he isn't asked to play 26 minutes a night in every tough minute the team has.  It turns out that was a recipe for disaster for him and pretty much any other D in the league aside from half a dozen guys.

No way that package gets a top pairing D of his calibre.  We missed the boat on that move and it would be a miracle if Benning pulled it off.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

If Jake is traded I’ll be super disappointed if OJ is part of the deal

Part of me agrees just based on our side, although another part of me wants to ask what we'd get back for that? I mean if who we get back is worth it.... *shrugs*

• Cheers 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, rekker said:

Wrong time to be trading him, his value is so low. I'd rather they keep playing him till he's somewhat producing and then shop him. He's his own worst enemy, but he's gotta play to gain some traction. 

The Jake Conundrum: He is playing poorly so his trade value is low. Then if he goes on a tear and scores ten goals in fifteen games, well, then he's finally playing to his potential and you'd be crazy to trade him. Then he goes thirty games without a goal and he reverts to playing so poorly his trade value is low again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pray tell, when is the RIGHT time to trade Jake?

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, rekker said:

Wrong time to be trading him, his value is so low. I'd rather they keep playing him till he's somewhat producing and then shop him. He's his own worst enemy, but he's gotta play to gain some traction. 

That's if he starts producing again though. It's kind of like the stock market at this point really. When do we sell that stock? lol

Edited by The Lock

On 2/9/2021 at 10:00 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got Boone Jenner for Virtanen I would be very very happy. Would fit in as the 3rd C right away and for next year. Only way I could see them trading is to trade cap. Seems like a bit of a Torts playing as he's playing him a lot.

Doubtful we'd be able to get Paul as much as I would like to. He's playing very well with the Sens.

What is this love for Boone Jenner from fans year in year out. Serious obsession of him. 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:01 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Next year if we are able to clear some cap Adam Lowry would look good with Pearson/Pod.

Would require some serious cap clearage to have Debrusk/Pearson/Lowry next year. Even then it would have to come after addressing the D first.

A bit too much wishful thinking.

Agree i like lowry

On 2/8/2021 at 3:38 PM, Provost said:

That is how cherry picking stats work.  You decide what you think of a player and then search and try to present data that confirms your subjective bias.

Are you new here?  :D

Do you expect someone to actually use the data to make their judgement on a player instead of improperly

using it as justification of their non-evidence based opinions?

The ironing is so delicious I'd be surprised that you haven't yet given up on these futile chirps yet / your one go-to 'cherrypick' one-liner by now.

The fruit is hanging so low....

I have posted literally  handfuls of metrics regarding Virtanen on these boards - almost exhausting the available data.

Offensive metrics

scoring, 5on5 vs pp production

on ice goals for per 60 at es

Defensive metrics

takeaways

hits

blocks

on ice sv%

on ice goals against per 60 at es

deployment metrics

ozone starts

frequency of linemates that he plays with

ice time.

The irony is that some of those defensive metrics - takeaways, on ice goals against, on ice sv% - Virtanen is among the team leaders - consistently.

But @Provost 's one-liner - of a 'cherrypick' - remains your default response - and it never gets less absurd.

More ironic - is the fact that you never take the risk of posting your own work - instead relying on one-liners, and weak appeals to pseudo 'authority' - ie as if you speak for the 'analytics community'.   The reality is that you're too lazy minded and too hell bent on defending your confirmation biases - so you're too cautious to engage and actually do some analytical work. 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:46 PM, Provost said:

I have a problem with a player that scores 18 goals but costs 30 goals against when he is on the ice

The @Provost idea of 'analytics' - a random number you pulled straight out of your posterior - and are entirely unable to qualify or sustantiate.  But here you are attempting to call me out for 'cherry-picking'.  Thanks for the schooling on Virtanen.

But seriously - give it up - and make an actual effort to teach yourself something  - and maybe something worthwhile to discuss will emerge in the process.

Edited by oldnews

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

The Jake Condundrum: He is playing poorly so his trade value is low. Then if he goes on a tear and scores ten goals in fifteen games, well, then he's finally playing to his potential and you'd be crazy to trade him. Then he goes thirty games without a goal and he reverts to playing so poorly his trade value is low again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Pray tell, when is the RIGHT time to trade Jake?

Meh, hopefully Seattle claims.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yuck.  If we're going to give that package up, can we not take back a defenseman who can't play defense in return?

LOL Heffy - Ristolainen would be a great take = is a "real NHL D"!!

Far better than the guy @Provost keeps repeatedly beating the drum to acquire - Colin Miller :picard:

Ristolainen

2 goals, 4 assists, +2

35 hits, 13 blocks

23:34 /g

42.2% ozone starts

53.4% corsi

.938 on ice save percentage

2.6 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

1.6 on ice goals against

2:20 pk and 2:20 pp minutes/g.

Miller

1g, 2 assists, -7

18 hits, 7 blocks

17:10/g

51.6% ozone starts

49.6% corsi

.863 on ice sv%

1.2 on ice goals for

3.9 against

1:04 pp, 0:33 pk/g

but - er - sorry about the 'cherry pick' lol.

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

LOL Heffy - Ristolainen would be a great take = is a "real NHL D"!!

Far better than the guy @Provost keeps repeatedly beating the drum to acquire - Colin Miller :picard:

Ristolainen

2 goals, 4 assists, +2

35 hits, 13 blocks

23:34 /g

42.2% ozone starts

53.4% corsi

.938 on ice save percentage

2.6 on ice goals for per 60 5on5

1.6 on ice goals against

2:20 pk and 2:20 pp minutes/g.

Miller

1g, 2 assists, -7

18 hits, 7 blocks

17:10/g

51.6% ozone starts

49.6% corsi

.863 on ice sv%

1.2 on ice goals for

3.9 against

1:04 pp, 0:33 pk/g

but - er - sorry about the 'cherry pick' lol.

Well I have been “beating the drum” on Ristoleinen for about 3 years.  Even suggesting Jake be traded for him.

If anyone thinks that we could get Risto for Jake now, they are smoking something amazing or have much more faith in Benning than I do.

Once they stopped playing Risto 26+ minutes a game he went back to being an excellent defender, like anticipated.  He is playing 23 minutes a game of all around minutes and is as good as Edler was in his prime.

We aren’t getting that for a benched 3rd line winger.

... and ya, you are cherry picking (as usual) as my post clearly indicated that Miller was taking money back to even out the cap on deal in addition to the other pieces.  

Edited by Provost