The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Capped at - but over 1million a team only needs to match/offer the existing - is that not correct?

The qualifying offer is the last base salary of the existing contract but no more than 120% of the AAV.  (For contracts under 1M there’s a 1.05 or 1.1 multiplier to the base.)

DeBrusk’s last base is 4.85M - in the past that would be his qualifying offer but now it’s 4.41M because of the 120% AAV cap. 

Boeser’s contract is grandfathered, that’s why his qualifying offer will be his last base salary of 7.5M.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

We under value Jake here,  I can honestly say if I was an opposing GM and I could get him cheap I’d pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Travis Green and Jake Virtanen need to part ways , I’m not sold on Jake being the one to go.

Jake is a better bottom six forward that Gaudette.

Which is why I'd prefer they move Gaudette - who probably has a bit more lustre / might have more relative trade value presently.

I'm not sure I see a path to staying on this roster for Gaudette - the team is just too rich at young RW - and Gaudette is not really tracking as a capable NHL center.

So I'd move Gaudette before I'd move Virtanen - because I like what I've seen out of the Beagle and Sutter lines with Virtanen on the wing.  Virtanen has proven more versatile than Gaudette - and in spite of his scoring drought, we've seen he's capable of scoring, even in shutdown minutes...

If Gaudette could bring back a Nick Paul or Trenin....I'd probably make that kind of deal.

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

What about Jake Virtanen to the Carolina Hurricanes for Jake Bean. He was a top prospect and one of the better AHL dmen last year. Carolina is stacked on d so he’s only made it into 1/4 of the games this year and he needs to be protected in the expansion draft. They might want somebody that could contribute every game. Virtanen could provide speed and physical play on the bottom 6.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

What about Jake Virtanen to the Carolina Hurricanes for Jake Bean. He was a top prospect and one of the better AHL dmen last year. Carolina is stacked on d so he’s only made it into 1/4 of the games this year and he needs to be protected in the expansion draft. They might want somebody that could contribute every game. Virtanen could provide speed and physical play on the bottom 6.

speaking of  the Canes and Jakes......that Jake Gardiner deal... had disaster written all over it before the ink dried.

• Hydration 3
30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

speaking of  the Canes and Jakes......that Jake Gardiner deal... had disaster written all over it before the ink dried.

Yip. Another in a long line of media driven, overrated, Leafs dmen. 

• Hydration 1
6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Habs dodged a huge bullet there...

Screenshot_20210210-221220_Chrome.jpg

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

We under value Jake here,  I can honestly say if I was an opposing GM and I could get him cheap I’d pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Travis Green and Jake Virtanen need to part ways , I’m not sold on Jake being the one to go.

Perhaps Gallant can get more out of Virtanen? I'd be down for a coaching change. I like Green, but I also like Gallant as a possible replacement. See what the new coach can do with Virtanen. If even Gallant or whoever the new coach is, can't get him to succeed, then yeah, game over. 

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Jake is a better bottom six forward that Gaudette.

Which is why I'd prefer they move Gaudette - who probably has a bit more lustre / might have more relative trade value presently.

I'm not sure I see a path to staying on this roster for Gaudette - the team is just too rich at young RW - and Gaudette is not really tracking as a capable NHL center.

So I'd move Gaudette before I'd move Virtanen - because I like what I've seen out of the Beagle and Sutter lines with Virtanen on the wing.  Virtanen has proven more versatile than Gaudette - and in spite of his scoring drought, we've seen he's capable of scoring, even in shutdown minutes...

If Gaudette could bring back a Nick Paul or Trenin....I'd probably make that kind of deal.

Yeah. I would prefer to keep Virtanen, and move Gaudette. Jake at least can play all over the line up if need be. He just needs a kick in the ass to get going. 

• Hydration 1
39 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Habs dodged a huge bullet there...

Screenshot_20210210-221220_Chrome.jpg

"A second big win"....

If that was a solid source, then yeah- the Habs got lucky....

And look at them now...

Chiarot Weber

Edmundson Petry

is a pretty enviable top 4.

To the Leafs credit, Holl is a big upgrade on Gardiner...  Gardiner was just such a liability - that they (had to?) overutilize.  Their top 4 is arguably improved - which makes a big difference imo.  They've finally moved away from the Gardiner, Barrie type second pairing and have Muzzin and Holl - who can actually matchup.

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

why is Zboril worth that?

Yeah, that's an overpayment on the Canucks' side for sure. Giving up too much by giving away three young players in Virtanen, Gaudette and Chatfield, and if that wasn't enough, you'd add a second? 

• Hydration 1