The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

8 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Seriously year after year virtanen belief is getting sickening. Look its been like 6 years stop this hometown bias in a player.

Been a big supporter of JV but even I’m done. I don’t see him “breaking out” unfortunately but then again it would be just our luck after a trade. Regardless he’s not helping us on the ice so something has to give 

• Vintage 1

I've rooted for Jake for his entire career. His tools are obvious, and he is literally *right there*. Just needs to put his mind in the game, but he ain't gonna do it here.

And it's going to suck, because even if we get general consensus "fair value" for Jake, he will probably finally realize he needs to get in the game and become a strong 2nd line guy elsewhere. All because management held fast with the belief it would finally click for him. It's quite a tragedy for the Canucks - but for Jake himself.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

People, not happy with a 20 goal a season pace from a player getting 12 minutes a game. 

well, not really this year tho. I think its the inability to stick in the top 6 more than anything else.

I don't know that a deal for DeBrusk is all that game changing tho, they are actually similar from a production pov (maybe a few more goals out of JD) and I don't see DeBrusk beating Hoglader for that 2LW spot, so DeBrusk would be back in a 3rd line role here too. Seems pretty lateral to me. 

If Jake must go, I'd hope it would be a for right side d upgrade. 

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4241&players[]=4193&period=2020-2021%3AR%3A99

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, not really this year tho. I think its the inability to stick in the top 6 more than anything else.

I don't know that a deal for DeBrusk is all that game changing tho, they are actually similar from a production pov (maybe a few more goals out of JD) and I don't see DeBrusk beating Hoglader for that 2LW spot, so DeBrusk would be back in a 3rd line role here too. Seems pretty lateral to me. 

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4241&players[]=4193&period=2020-2021%3AR%3A99

Almost everyone is having a crappy year on this team, so far. I'm not going to rant about Jake when he is not the only struggling player.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah, right now, 1 trade's not going to do much of anything. I think our issues are more fundamental than that. Perhaps are issues aren't even internally but also given how good the other teams in our division are playing. That's also a possibility and it's something that may have just snowballed into what it is now.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Almost everyone is having a crappy year on this team, so far. I'm not going to rant about Jake when he is not the only struggling player.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, right now, 1 trade's not going to do much of anything. I think our issues are more fundamental than that. Perhaps are issues aren't even internally but also given how good the other teams in our division are playing. That's also a possibility and it's something that may have just snowballed into what it is now.

fair enough, but even within the context of a crappy year, whether its due to Covid, bad coaching, whatever, I don't see how that changes Jakes place moving forward. He's a decent top 9 RW. My personal belief is we have seen "peak Jake" and know what his ceiling is now, and its not someone thats in the non-expendable list on a team but also not someone you just throw away for peanuts. Just my 2 cents. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair enough, but even within the context of a crappy year, whether its due to Covid, bad coaching, whatever, I don't see how that changes Jakes place moving forward. He's a decent top 9 RW. My personal belief is we have seen "peak Jake" and know what his ceiling is now, and its not someone thats in the non-expendable list on a team but also not someone you just throw away for peanuts. Just my 2 cents. 

Honestly, I've said this elsewhere on this forum recently. I think the real question is are the fans willing to accept him as a bottom 6 forward? That's the hard part in all of this. If they are then great. If they aren't and we don't trade him, we'll never hear the end of it. This is why people often need that change of scenery.

I don't doubt he's an NHL player, but I question the fans' sanity if he sticks around. It's the unfortunately situation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Honestly, I've said this elsewhere on this forum recently. I think the real question is are the fans willing to accept him as a bottom 6 forward? That's the hard part in all of this. If they are then great. If they aren't and we don't trade him, we'll never hear the end of it. This is why people often need that change of scenery.

I don't doubt he's an NHL player, but I question the fans' sanity if he sticks around. It's the unfortunately situation.

even if he's traded we won't hear the end of it. 

Its a bit bizarre how much attention he gets. Its not like he's in the Gaunce bust range. Its probably more that he's local and didn't turn into Lucic I guess. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even if he's traded we won't hear the end of it. 

Its a bit bizarre how much attention he gets. Its not like he's in the Gaunce bust range. Its probably more that he's local and didn't turn into Lucic I guess. 

Realistically, I think it was where he was drafted (at 6th) and who was drafted after him that have had people upset from day one. The fact that he was local and at parties, etc, only highlighted that. If he was responsibly locally, I doubt that would have changed people's frustrations.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Realistically, I think it was where he was drafted (at 6th) and who was drafted after him that have had people upset from day one. The fact that he was local and at parties, etc, only highlighted that. If he was responsibly locally, I doubt that would have changed people's frustrations.

no matter how Jake turned out, I still don't want Nylander. Double flamingo fits perfectly in TO.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

no matter how Jake turned out, I still don't want Nylander. Double flamingo fits perfectly in TO.

And that's fair. I'm not saying I'd prefer Nylander either. I'm more reiterating the arguments that have been given to me over and over throughout the years about Virtanen.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

If Benning had a chance to offload Eriksson’s full cap for just Virtanen as the sweetener  in the offseason, and didn’t do it... he should be fired and also punched in the junk on his way out just for that failure.

Virtanen + Eriksson = $8.5 million in cap space.  That could have solved almost all our problems with how cheap players were going for.  Heck we could have gotten a useful player like Killorn/Johnson from Tampa and had them throw in Foote or Cernak, a 1st round pick, and another asset in order to take that contract off their hands.

Edited by Provost

Jake has all the tools but no toolbox, very unfortunate. He may need a trade just to wake him up because year after year he doesn’t seem to get it in Van. If there’s interest in him and you get an OK offer then I think we have to take it. I’d love to see Jake Bean potentially coming our way in a trade but I haven’t read about the Hurricanes being interested, don’t mess the trade up JB!

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Benning had a chance to offload Eriksson’s full cap Doe just Virtanen in the offseason, and didn’t do it... he should be fired and also punched in the junk on his way out just for that failure.

Virtanen + Eriksson = $8.5 million in cap space.  That could have solved almost all our problems with how cheap players were going for.  Heck we could have gotten a useful player like Killorn/Johnson from Tampa and had them throw in Foote or Cernak, a 1st round pick, and another asset in order to take that contract off their hands.

Have you ever tried to offload $8,500,000 of super weak assets, with only 30 options?

I’m sure Benning is trying every day of his life to get things done, and more than he’s paid for doing it because he’s a hockeyman first and foremost.

His biggest mistakes so far, is to have slightly overpaid for bottom 6 talent to protect young kids on skates, and more importantly, drafted so successfully that other assets have to fall quicker then anticipated.

It’s a really good problem to have. It makes us see that Virtanen, Benning’s first ever pick in Vancouver, is the only weak pick so far, with Juolevi’s book still wide open, and that’s because since then, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and the upcoming Podkolzin are in the mix, which are kind of looking like somewhat alright picks I’d say...

Now let’s take all of the fans out of all of the arenas and let’s try to offload that $8,500,000 in super weak assets again, to one of the 30 options.

Edited by Me_

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Have you ever tried to offload $8,500,000 of super weak assets, with only 30 options?

I was literally referring to the link I quoted which stated that reports were that in the offseason, Ottawa wanted Virtanen as the sweetener for taking Eriksson.

My response was that IF that deal was on the table ever and Benning turned it down, he should be punched in the junk.

I stand by that assessment.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1