The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I was literally referring to the link I quoted which stated that reports were that in the offseason, Ottawa wanted Virtanen as the sweetener for taking Eriksson.

My response was that IF that deal was on the table ever and Benning turned it down, he should be punched in the junk.

I stand by that assessment.

...and “fired”...

Hyperbole or not, I think it is very overdone on these boards and quite frankly, it is getting boring.

So I raised the issue on that. Because repeating en masse to “fire” someone isn’t part of the subject I posted. 

I do thank you for your understanding.

32 minutes ago, Me_ said:

...and “fired”...

Hyperbole or not, I think it is very overdone on these boards and quite frankly, it is getting boring.

So I raised the issue on that. Because repeating en masse to “fire” someone isn’t part of the subject I posted. 

I do thank you for your understanding.

Of course fired... the punch to the junk is just an extra while driving him to the airport.

You aren’t even making any sense now.  You posted a link which said that Ottawa offered to take Eriksson’s contract if we gave them Virtanen.

I quoted your link and said if that was true, and he turned it down  he should be fired (and punched in the junk for good measure).

Then you responded like you hadn’t even read your own link... and now you are suggestions that that people shouldn’t respond to your link because that isn’t really the subject you want to talk about?  Your logic is a little tough to follow here...

Edited by Provost
3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Shotgone Jake:lol:

Not much to offer for Jake there, as team needs are 3C and solid, stay at home RD.  Maybe pick up DeBrusk and flip him.

Perhaps something in the prospect/pick realm.

Jake/Loui for a late rounder maybe?

Chris Tierney for Jake is one of the options listed there and would be a massive win for us... we would need them to take a little cap hit to even the money out, but they have plenty of that.

He is an excellent 3C option who puts up 40 points a season and kills penalties.

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Chris Tierney for Jake is one of the options listed there and would be a massive win for us... we would need them to take a little cap hit to even the money out, but they have plenty of that.

He is an excellent 3C option who puts up 40 points a season and kills penalties.

I did think Tierney would be a great trade, but thought Ott would find it slanted in the Nuck's favour.

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I did think Tierney would be a great trade, but thought Ott would find it slanted in the Nuck's favour.

Ya, we would have to add.  Especially since we would need them to take on some cap to even out the money.

Rafferty, Virtanen, Baertschi... for Tierney and a low end prospect to make the contracts even out. 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

And that's fair. I'm not saying I'd prefer Nylander either. I'm more reiterating the arguments that have been given to me over and over throughout the years about Virtanen.

Its easy to revisionist history on draft picks. Even the best scouts in the NHL get it wrong 1/2 the time so I don't personally put much stock into the shoulda's after the fact.

Jake was a good pick based on what he accomplished in juniors. It should have translated better. I don't see it as a bad or failed pick because no one can predict what the kids really will be outside of McDavid.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its easy to revisionist history on draft picks. Even the best scouts in the NHL get it wrong 1/2 the time so I don't personally put much stock into the shoulda's after the fact.

Jake was a good pick based on what he accomplished in juniors. It should have translated better. I don't see it as a bad or failed pick because no one can predict what the kids really will be outside of McDavid.

Neither do I. But I think we both know how fans often are though. Some are like us but others are not as forgiving.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Neither do I. But I think we both know how fans often are though. Some are like us but others are not as forgiving.

well, I'm not that forgiving. I'm still pissed at Willie D over Tryamkin. :P

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, we would have to add.  Especially since we would need them to take on some cap to even out the money.

Rafferty, Virtanen, Baertschi... for Tierney and a low end prospect to make the contracts even out. 

Yeah if you made it a bigger deal maybe you could get them to take Eriksson. Be prepared to lose a leg though.

If we trade our UFAs and flips those assets in a trade with Ottawa it wouldn't hurt as much though. We might be able to keep most of our leg.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Of course fired... the punch to the junk is just an extra while driving him to the airport.

You aren’t even making any sense now.  You posted a link which said that Ottawa offered to take Eriksson’s contract if we gave them Virtanen.

I quoted your link and said if that was true, and he turned it down  he should be fired (and punched in the junk for good measure).

Then you responded like you hadn’t even read your own link... and now you are suggestions that that people shouldn’t respond to your link because that isn’t really the subject you want to talk about?  Your logic is a little tough to follow here...

The “fire Benning” thing came from you.

Boring.

Just so we’re on the same page, for the article I’ve posted:

Why they want Virtanen: On the one hand, the Senators are in the same boat as Detroit in icing an AHL-quality roster on a nightly basis. On the other, they’ve got an abundance of young forwards battling for ice-time, and Virtanen would serve to only further clog the pipeline. 

Still, Ottawa was reportedly heavily interested in Virtanen during the offseason — even willing to take him as the sweetener in a Loui Eriksson dump, if rumours are to be believed — and that interest apparently hasn’t lessened since the start of the 2021 season. The fact that they could acquire Virtanen without him having to quarantine is obviously a huge plus.

What they might offer in return: Where to begin? Chris Tierney, only two years older than Virtanen, would make an excellent stop-gap center. Logan Brown is a younger, but similar, option, who may have blown his last chance in Ottawa this past training camp.

On the farm, names like Vitaly Abramov could also draw interest, and any Ottawa draft picks one can get their hands on are always valuable commodities.

Heck, if that Virtanen-and-Eriksson-for-nothing trade is still on the table, the Canucks should snap that up in a heartbeat.”

Edited by Me_
1 hour ago, Me_ said:

The “fire Benning” thing came from you.

Boring.

Just so we’re on the same page, for the article I’ve posted:

”Why they want Virtanen: On the one hand, the Senators are in the same boat as Detroit in icing an AHL-quality roster on a nightly basis. On the other, they’ve got an abundance of young forwards battling for ice-time, and Virtanen would serve to only further clog the pipeline. 

Still, Ottawa was reportedly heavily interested in Virtanen during the offseason — even willing to take him as the sweetener in a Loui Eriksson dump, if rumours are to be believed — and that interest apparently hasn’t lessened since the start of the 2021 season. The fact that they could acquire Virtanen without him having to quarantine is obviously a huge plus.

What they might offer in return: Where to begin? Chris Tierney, only two years older than Virtanen, would make an excellent stop-gap center. Logan Brown is a younger, but similar, option, who may have blown his last chance in Ottawa this past training camp.

On the farm, names like Vitaly Abramov could also draw interest, and any Ottawa draft picks one can get their hands on are always valuable commodities.

Heck, if that Virtanen-and-Eriksson-for-nothing trade is still on the table, the Canucks should snap that up in a heartbeat.”

The mark of a professional = "if rumours are to be believed".....'source'.

gotta love canucksarmy.  what rumours?  were they cooked up in-house?  or e5 rumours with no origin/source = that is for amateurs.

post a source - that is expected even in a lowly place like this message board.

that article is all over the place - 9 'best' places, about 50 names thrown in the soup - a lot of it complete non-starter material.

there are a ton of whiffs - but a few good ideas in there.

Just pick a handful that actually might make sense - and focus on them, instead of drawing a road map of the continent with stops at about 18 cities...(NHL and AHL).

• Vintage 1
4 hours ago, Provost said:

If Tierney is remotely available... I'll take a ferry over to Vancouver and drive Jake to the airport myself.

Virtanen+Gaudette would be pretty close on the cap hits IIRC... Just saying

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If Tierney is remotely available... I'll take a ferry over to Vancouver and drive Jake to the airport myself.

Virtanen+Gaudette would be pretty close on the cap hits IIRC... Just saying

Except they are two roster spots for one... so really we still need $700k-$1 million to replace the 2nd roster spot.

But ya, I do that deal any day.  The guy is pretty ideal for the spot we need filled.  I doubt he is available because he is giving them good value for his contract.

Edited by Provost
10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except they are two roster spots for one... so really we still need $700k-$1 million to replace the 2nd roster spot.

But ya, I do that deal any day.  The guy is pretty ideal for the spot we need filled.  I doubt he is available because he is giving them good value for his contract.

We've still got some room with Ferland's LTIR don't we? 

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We've still got some room with Ferland's LTIR don't we? 

We could probably run with fewer guys on the active roster and put an extra one on the taxi squad to make it work.

It is a little bit of a dream though as I doubt Ottawa is looking to shed him any time soon unless they are getting more value than he is probably worth 

• Huggy Bear 1

Frederik for Virtanen? He's a former 1st round big center who's never managed to score really, wonder if they both need a change of scenery and we could use a young center to replace Sutter. Get the trade done now so we can see what he's like and if he's useless, we sign a UFA center in the off season.