The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

6 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

One is also playing in the top 6 on one of the most offensively potent teams in the league while the other is playing limited minutes in the bottom six on the Canucks. Cap is such a commodity right now I think you're basically looking at apples and oranges. Fair value you probably have to add a bit if you identified you wanted Nylander (from a Canucks perspective) but that cap hit throws anything close to fair value out the window. 

I don't know that there are any good trade partners for the Leafs in this case simply because of the cap issue. It will be interesting to see if a trade happens!

This^^^^^

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Not looking to trade Virtanen, but if I were I might be looking at someone like Scott Laughton. He's smaller (20+ lbs?), but seems to play a fairly physical game, has reasonable points for what is a 3C(?), and has a pretty good faceoff percentage (better than Gaudette). I think this is someone after whom I'd like Gaudette to pattern his game.

I've only done a minor amount of research here, so please give me the low down on this guy beyond cap hit. I also expect that there would have to be a significant add by Vancouver.

regards,  G.

Regardless of value and fit. I see no reason why PHI would be motivated to part with Laughton who seems to fit their squad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Regardless of value and fit. I see no reason why PHI would be motivated to part with Laughton who seems to fit their squad. 

Agree. He is a UFA after this season, but I suspect that his current team will meet/beat any (reasonable) offer.

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

To ana:

Eriksson+ virtanen+ 3rd round pick 

To van:

Ryan Getzlaf

Ana retains another year of eriksson and get two pieces in return. 

Vancouver gets good leadership and frees money next year

I would do that... but it doesn't seem like a great deal for Anaheim.  If Getzlaf was willing to be rented out, they could get a 3rd round pick for him at the deadline when his cap hit didn't mean as much (reports are that they won't ask his to waive his NMC).

That would mean they are effectively unloading Eriksson to get Jake.  I don't think any teams are going to do that at this point.  That was rumoured to be an offer from Ottawa in the summer that Benning turned down... but that is when Virtanen's value was at a high point, not now when his value has cratered.

• Hydration 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I would do that... but it doesn't seem like a great deal for Anaheim.  If Getzlaf was willing to be rented out, they could get a 3rd round pick for him at the deadline when his cap hit didn't mean as much (reports are that they won't ask his to waive his NMC).

That would mean they are effectively unloading Eriksson to get Jake.  I don't think any teams are going to do that at this point.  That was rumoured to be an offer from Ottawa in the summer that Benning turned down... but that is when Virtanen's value was at a high point, not now when his value has cratered.

wat?

post a source for this 'rumour'.

19 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Not looking to trade Virtanen, but if I were I might be looking at someone like Scott Laughton. He's smaller (20+ lbs?), but seems to play a fairly physical game, has reasonable points for what is a 3C(?), and has a pretty good faceoff percentage (better than Gaudette). I think this is someone after whom I'd like Gaudette to pattern his game.

I've only done a minor amount of research here, so please give me the low down on this guy beyond cap hit. I also expect that there would have to be a significant add by Vancouver.

regards,  G.

He's basically a notch below Horvat - pretty similar players. 

• Like 1

“Listen, I’m fed up with losing, and I’m frustrated. It’s definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It’s been a tough couple of months. It’s been a tough five years with how things have went.”

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

1st ‘21”

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Gaudette+virtanen for Luaghton + 3rd

scott laughton- also pretty sure canucks were his favorite team growing up

I had to look the guy up... but just from the scouting report, I do that deal.

It doesn’t even bother me that Gaudette could turn out to be better... he is not a great fit for how our team is built.  Needing to keep the Horvat line taking defensive responsibilities has a negative effect on our whole lineup... we need him to be in scoring positions more.

It is like when we got Malhotra to take defensive duties from Kesler.  It made the top two lines much more dangerous as they got way better match ups that other teams couldn’t deal with.  We need another Malhotra and Sutter/Beagle aren’t doing it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

“Listen, I’m fed up with losing, and I’m frustrated. It’s definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It’s been a tough couple of months. It’s been a tough five years with how things have went.”

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

1st ‘21”

omg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

1st ‘21”

Would you trade Hughes for that list?  Some teams think we would have to give them a first and a Gaudette just to take Eriksson off of our roster, so that would essentially leave Eichel for Virtanen (who seems to have little trade interest neither).   So reminiscent of the proposals including Ballard, Raymond and a first.  Sorry, but you've probably had better proposals!

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Would you trade Hughes for that list?  Some teams think we would have to give them a first and a Gaudette just to take Eriksson off of our roster, so that would essentially leave Eichel for Virtanen (who seems to have little trade interest neither).   So reminiscent of the proposals including Ballard, Raymond and a first.  Sorry, but you've probably had better proposals!

Keep It 100 GIF by Jason Clarke

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

1st ‘21”

it's nowhere near fair value for a club that is forever rebuilding but if Benning could swing that he'd be the GM of the year.  That's Toronto Boston Kessel territory rip offery

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

it's nowhere near fair value for a club that is forever rebuilding but if Benning could swing that he'd be the GM of the year.  That's Toronto Boston Kessel territory rip offery

This deal insures the Buffalo Sabres further assured they will be rebuild into perpetuity. 

Right on brand.

We can keep Gaudette I guess...