The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Not gonna lie, I think Jake would benefit from being on a chippier team. The Canucks have no snarl to their game. They play a pretty game. Jake wakes up for games with some intensity to em. It's why he takes some bad penalties trying to inject some life into the game. Honestly, the only time I been truly proud of this team the last couple years was actually tonight when they zerg rushed Forbort for trying to take liberties with Hoglander. And of course Jake was in on that too. This team is high speed, run and gun. No real meat and potatoes. Which is why I think Jake would actually really benefit from being on a team like Boston.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie, I think Jake would benefit from being on a chippier team. The Canucks have no snarl to their game. They play a pretty game. Jake wakes up for games with some intensity to em. It's why he takes some bad penalties trying to inject some life into the game. Honestly, the only time I been truly proud of this team the last couple years was actually tonight when they zerg rushed Forbort for trying to take liberties with Hoglander. And of course Jake was in on that too. This team is high speed, run and gun. No real meat and potatoes. Which is why I think Jake would actually really benefit from being on a team like Boston.

Your probably right. Boston fans would tar & feather Virtanen if he dogged one shift. That said Vancouver will have to get heavier and be able to play a lot tougher game than they do now to be a CUP contender. Run & Gun hockey and contact lite might work during regular season but CUP play is another matter. It is a physical toughness but also a mental toughness that is not there yet. Roussel was pretty much the only player who actively stuck his nose into opposing players faces and even he has quit that.    

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Me_ said:

“Listen, I’m fed up with losing, and I’m frustrated. It’s definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It’s been a tough couple of months. It’s been a tough five years with how things have went.”

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

Hughes

1st ‘21”

CORRECTED to be realistic.

11 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

CORRECTED to be realistic.

I dunno man.  The Sabres know without question Eichel is NOT going to re-sign with them so at some point in time they're going to seriously have to look at what's available on the market.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I dunno man.  The Sabres know without question Eichel is NOT going to re-sign with them so at some point in time they're going to seriously have to look at what's available on the market.  

Yes but they aren't going to just give him away.

They would get a good return on him.

Look at what Taylor Hall got last year as a comparable.  Eichel is younger and arguably the more talented player.  You won't get him for Virtanen, Gaudette and a first round pick.  Aaaaaand expect them to eat up LE's awful contract.

In the freaky armchair gm department :  thought Nylander looked really good for TO in last seasons playoff bubble.  TO may be looking for a Josh Anderson style player.  Virt is tantalizing and has yet to arrive, if he will ever arrive, we are all dreaming he can be that kind of player or just be some kind of nasty.  Is there any value in that dream, maybe.  Nylander had arrived and I agree with some who think he'd thrive in Van.  Problem is Canucks need the space on their expiring contracts for next season too.  Still need LE on permanent IR... so much dreaming going on.  The team is playing better and, as per usual, Canucks are interesting.  I mostly like that Benning seems a bit of a dreamer with balls.

23 hours ago, Me_ said:

“Listen, I’m fed up with losing, and I’m frustrated. It’s definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It’s been a tough couple of months. It’s been a tough five years with how things have went.”

- Jack Eichel

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Virtanen

Gaudette

Eriksson

1st ‘21”

Miller 

Virtanen

1st

Eichel

My first thought is “I’d do it”, so Buffalo probably wouldn’t. 
But it can’t be THAT far off

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I don't see how they part with JE without a giant return. Its basically committing to another rebuild, even a short one with their young C's developing in a coupe of years. They are going to want current veteran scoring, picks and prospects. 

For cap reasons and for value, we'd have to move Miller, Boeser, probably a 1st and then some prospects. Miller and Boeser would have to be part of it imo because we don't the a top C to trade them back. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That would be a huge market.

16 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Lol   Maybe.   Jake doesn’t add much value.  
But a top 10 pick, and JT Miller (who is a first liner himself) is nothing to shake a stick at. 

For a top 10 player that's a C it is. Especially for a team that would have to rebuild again. Miller doesn't make much sense or bring as much value as young players and multiple early round picks and top prospects.

Eichel would instantly be our best player. He was the only reason the Sabres won as many games as they did last season. He literately put them on their back. I only imagine how much better he'd be and our #1PP if he was on the Canucks last season instead of Miller. Hughes probably would have won the Calder and Eichel probably would have had a good shot at the Hart(finished 8th in voting last season).

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1