The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO Beniers and Clarke make the most sense for this team but really couldn't go wrong with any of the other D in the top 10.

We don't really need any wingers. If we get Beniers we could keep Petey at wing.

If we were really ballsy and wanted to solidify the goaltending for the next decade then Wallstedt would be a good pickup and would be a good successor to Demko(7 years older). That's thinking really long-term though.

30 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I expect the other top D Owen Power and Luke Hughes to be off the board when the Canucks pick.

Center or d for me is the ideal pick.

Goalies are such wildcards Wallstedt would be a luxury pick for the Canucks as they have a gaping hole in their top 4 d core.

Another poster said somewhere that Schmidt or Myers could have to be exposed in the expansion draft as well.

I would be extremely hesitant to draft a goalie high in the first round, especially since we have greater needs... but Wallstedt looks like current-day Markstrom, not draft-eligible Markstrom - at 17 years old. He is arguably the most complete goaltending prospect I've even seen in a given draft class.

If we're picking like 10th and lower, I'd take him.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

All Virtanen is now is failed potential.

I don’t see guys who still have potential to be regulars for us having less value than a guy that will probably be waiver fodder in a couple years.

Anyone of those guys becoming a regular bottom 6, bottom pair D, or backup would be enough to provide better value. I see that as likely if not probable at this point for at least two or three of them.

Fair enough, but we are talking about a guy who has scored 18 goals in one season for this team.

I'm unsure that any of the other guys named have that comparative potential, or are going to be of greater value to this team just because they may become a bottom-6 d-man or a regular bottom-6 forward. About the only value this sounds like is that the team saves some cap on their contract, not that this is a bad thing. I don't see any of these prospects being that guy you hope they could become, at least not for a few years. So, does the team experiment at the cost of another season, or two, with more inadequate play from guys trying to find their game (just change the number and the name on the back of the jersey), or does the team make a trade?

If consistency in Virtanen's game is the hang-up, and getting a guy to fill a need was the goal, and if I was the guy moving Virtanen out, I'd want to replace him with a known quantity/quality, not wait around (some more) for some of the potential we have coming up. I'd want to fill his spot on the roster right now with a guy like Laughton (from the Flyers), but that would probably be a fairly expensive trade for the Canucks (Virtanen, and perhaps an add from among perhaps Gaudette, picks and maybe some of those prospects). ANd Laughton is a UFA at the end of this season, so possibly (but not probably) the Canucks could sign him.

regards,  G.

58 minutes ago, mll said:

MacIntyre says they’ve shopped him this off- season and pegged his value around a 3rd round pick but believes Vancouver expected more. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-virtanen-trade-market-team-looks-shake-stupor/

Yes I've seen that before.  But remember in this market you have to read what they say carefully.  He says that JB has never commented publicly on what was offered for Virtanen.  He also never actually says that JB shopped Virtanen. So there is no actual quote nor facts being offered.

Keep in mind that with today's media it is always suggestions and inuendoes as the game is garnering hits.

So again we don't even know if JB shopped Virt or what was offered - it is just a bunch of kinda sorta stuff written by the Vancouver media to create a story.  Also note this story was written at the bottom for the Canucks after Toronto dismantled them and things looked at their worst.

Thanks for sharing but a reminder to read this stuff with more than a pinch of salt in this media market.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It would be interesting to know whether or not JB tried to shop Jake in the offseason and didn't like the offers.  Or did he simply sign him and expect that he would have a turnaround after a poor playoffs?  Hard to know for sure.

Anyway it must be very disappointing for JB at this point.  Jake us the biggest disappointment on the team this year IMO. If he had continued to trend upward on his 36 points last year he would be a very valuable 3rd line winger .  As it is now he is likely not going to be her much longer. And the return could be low.

Gaudette I feel still has a chance to improve.  He is not getting points but man he must have had 20 good scoring chances this year that he just failed to cash in.  He could turn it around the second half of this season.  No guarantees but we shall see.

I wonder that myself as we have enough $3+ million dollar players stapled to the bench or not even playing on the team without adding to the list and if you were shopping him with poor offers, then you know the market value when it came to resigning him one would think

13 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes I've seen that before.  But remember in this market you have to read what they say carefully.  He says that JB has never commented publicly on what was offered for Virtanen.  He also never actually says that JB shopped Virtanen. So there is no actual quote nor facts being offered.

Keep in mind that with today's media it is always suggestions and inuendoes as the game is garnering hits.

So again we don't even know if JB shopped Virt or what was offered - it is just a bunch of kinda sorta stuff written by the Vancouver media to create a story.  Also note this story was written at the bottom for the Canucks after Toronto dismantled them and things looked at their worst.

Thanks for sharing but a reminder to read this stuff with more than a pinch of salt in this media market.

From what I heard we wanted a slightly used vehicle straight up from Magnuson Ford but the deal never came to fruition.

On 2/20/2021 at 1:26 AM, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie, I think Jake would benefit from being on a chippier team. The Canucks have no snarl to their game. They play a pretty game. Jake wakes up for games with some intensity to em. It's why he takes some bad penalties trying to inject some life into the game. Honestly, the only time I been truly proud of this team the last couple years was actually tonight when they zerg rushed Forbort for trying to take liberties with Hoglander. And of course Jake was in on that too. This team is high speed, run and gun. No real meat and potatoes. Which is why I think Jake would actually really benefit from being on a team like Boston.

Good points, I don't believe Jake is a fighter and I highly doubt he wants to be the go-to tough guy on the team to handle the heavies. He may also think that his team mates don't have his back. Especially Edler, who gets awfully cowardly when real push comes to shove. Those glove ain't coming off.

I was actually kind of shocked (in a good way) of the response on the Forbort-Hoglander exchange. You're right though, if Jake played on a tough team like BOS, he may feel more confident playing physical, knowing his Bruins team mates have his back. A confident Jake could be scary.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Let’s chill and accept Jake is our new Jimmy Sandlak !! Sounds like a plan? 

Very good comparison, although I do remember Sandlak making a few more big hits than Virtanen.  I think he may have scored a bit more too, at least more than Jake is now.  Very similar in their temperament and shared aversion to potential fisticuffs though!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Kyle Korver got traded for a photo copier, Jake is not even worth tha

Well, not quite. He was traded for something like $125k in cash, most of which was used to pay Summer League entry fees, and the leftover money bought the copy machine. But still, it’s a fun story.

Keith Comstock (former Major Leaguer) was traded for $100 and a bag of used baseballs (which apparently he was required to deliver himself when he joined his new team).

Minor Leaguer John Odom once got traded for 10 baseball bats.

And Tom “Bussey” Martin got traded for his namesake, a used team bus.

Lots of NHL trades back in the day for future considerations that ended up settled for pocket change. Kris “One Dollar Man” Draper is probably the most well known. Red Wings paid the Jets only $1 for him, which certainly paid off well for Detroit.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

He's a total bust and there's no defending this pick anymore but why even bother trading him when his value is probably a 4th rounder at this point? I'd rather just keep him, lower our standards, and turn him into serviceable bottom 6 guy.

For me, the bottom 6 should include role players... energy guys, fighters, PKers, etc.  The difference between winning and losing can be those role players.

I don’t think the “dude who stayed out at the bar too late, and occasionally decides to put in an effort on the ice ” role is really that useful.  

That mid round pick can be flipped for a player during the expansion process, and that cap space can be used to pay for the three big raises we owe RFAS this summer.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Kyle Korver got traded for a photo copier, Jake is not even worth tha

Not only did Kyle korvers career outlast that copier... 

So thanks for the encouragement:towel:

• Cheers 1