The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

5 minutes ago, Rabid Rooster said:

If we keep Green, Jake needs to be traded for Jakes sake.

For those people who think Jake has been given every possible opportunity to succeed; do you pay attention, can you think for yourselves?

He has not been given every opportunity, nor should he have.

Opportunities are not, and should not ge given.  They should be earned.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rabid Rooster said:

For those people who think Jake has been given every possible opportunity to succeed; do you pay attention, can you think for yourselves?

I’ve been following JV since Jr, I was excited as hell to pick him. I’m a very Bias JV fanboy. Even I know that he just isn’t playing to his full potential. That’s not Green’s Fault, that’s Jake’s. I don’t know where that kids head is.

• Cheers 1

At this point, you just cut your losses. 

just getting rid of 2.5m cap hit for next year is no.1 priority 

to van: 3rd pick 2021 (maybe a conditional late rounder)

to bos: virtanen 

He’s a bottom six guy and we have the most expensive bottom 6 in the league as it is so I’d try to move that money higher up the lineup 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

It would be great to get Sandlak, Linden, Shane Obrien, Kassian and Stoll to mentor the kid....lots of experience there eh

O'brien, Kassian and Stoll were known partyers, which I guess is the connection you were trying to make? But I don't get the Sandlak and Linden references?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rabid Rooster said:

Why would you blame Green for Virtanen's subpar performance? Do you even watch the games? How about the number of young players successfully brought up by Green such as Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Hoglander. Boeser was in Green's doghouse for a while, but he performed and now he gets the 1st line shifts. We've seen Virtanen get 16-18 minutes a game some times. Gaudette on the other hand seems to be limited to no more than 11 minutes no matter how he played. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thundernuts said:

He has not been given every opportunity, nor should he have.

Opportunities are not, and should not ge given.  They should be earned.

I think it is fair to say he has been given more opportunities than he earned.  That happens with 1st round picks all the time, so you can’t fault this regime particularly since every team does it.

I don’t get the insistence on keeping him though.  As an organization, you have more info on your player than everyone else does.  Green has been coaching him since the minors, and Benning has watched him for years.  If they didn’t see what they needed for t he first few years (which clearly they didn’t), why not move him while he still had value.  Even before his short run of good play mid last season, Virtanen had value.  Size, skill, speed, draft pedigree... those things are easily marketable.  Get something else in return before he shows the rest of the league what he really is.

Even more importantly, communicate between coach and GM.  If the coach doesn’t have confidence in the player (even if he is right) and isn’t going to play him... that is going to devalue the player as an asset and needs to be considered.

I really think it is a bad look for the other players to sign Virtanen and then have to get rid of a workhorse who was really popular in the room like Stecher who would have come in at half the price.  Stecher was out after losses facing the press... he was out in the community and seen in pictures with his teammates.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve been following JV since Jr, I was excited as hell to pick him. I’m a very Bias JV fanboy. Even I know that he just isn’t playing to his full potential. That’s not Green’s Fault, that’s Jake’s. I don’t know where that kids head is.

In Jr., he was a man amongst boys. 

On 2/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Very good comparison, although I do remember Sandlak making a few more big hits than Virtanen.  I think he may have scored a bit more too, at least more than Jake is now.  Very similar in their temperament and shared aversion to potential fisticuffs though!

Sandlak had a more accurate shot. Geez he could crank them coming down on the wing.  

15 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Jake virtanen meet Travis Green

Square peg meet round hole. 

• Vintage 1