(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

5 hours ago, teepain said:

you think 

silverberg

virtanen 

50% loui erikkson

good or bad deal

no bueno

Loui can be bought out for a cap hit of 4 mil, so you're just saving 1 mil of cap and adding 3 more years of underperforming player at 5.25 mil per.

I suppose you're also saving the 2.55 of Jake, but if we want to throw that away we can just put him on waivers. 

1 hour ago, GetFocht said:

He is the grit and toughness that Virtanen and the rest are woefully missing. 

He's also the guy who fed knuckle sandwiches to Ryan Reaves recently. 

Looks like Reaves has the edge but still a great showing by Deslaurier 

Question is can he skate and play hockey? 

11 hours ago, billabong said:

To van: deslaurier, 3rd pick 2021

to ana: virtanen 

I’d take that and run 

ana takes on 1.5m in cap for next year 

Man I would love that. Deslaurier would add a much needed toughness and grit element to this team and he can play as well. He currently has 3G 2A in 19 games while also being able to take on the Reaves, Wilsons etc. 

Would be an interesting trade though as Vancouver is going to rely on the fact that Jake scored 18 last year even though he has 1 this year. Anaheim would try to say that ND is outscoring Jake this year so why would they add a 3rd plus take on Jake's extra salary. I haven't posted in months but this proposal got the juices flowing lol. I wonder who Anaheim would be thinking of sending our way???

On 2/24/2021 at 12:29 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do a Virtanen for Manson deal.  We could use Manson as the Dman to be left unprotected in the ED and then partner him with Hughes next year.  We can re-evaluate in the summer of 2022 when Manson is a UFA to see if there is a better fit out there but could be a decent temporary solution for next year.  At least we get something of value for Virtanen.  At this point not sure we could even get a 3rd round pick for him.

need to clear more cap if you want to bring Manson in...and then he takes up 4 million of your cap next season....perhaps if there are secondary pieces equalizing the cap ie Roussel for Grant - but not much point until Manson is healthy.

Edited by oldnews

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

( @oldnews in fairness it's also partly the current situation) 

? not sure what you mean.

If you mean that his numbers are deflated by virtue of playing primarily on shutdown lines with low ozone starts - then yeah, that's the opposite of the pump and dump strategy Gillis used to maximize Hodgson's trade value.  I'm not sure that would fool anyone in the present day, though.

I'm fine with continuing to utilize Virtanen like that - I don't really see any loss in continuing to develop his game without the puck - or putting him in circumstances where he's playing with guys with work ethics  like Beagle, or Motte, etc.  I wouldn't be dumping him for any longshot pick either - if there is cap to be dumped, they have veteran wingers and depth D that I'd move before Virtanen.

Edited by oldnews

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

the current financial landscape, regarding; the 2nd year on his deal being an issue for other teams. 

players don't become 'cap dumps' in a month - (if that were the case the league would be full of 'cap dumps' every time the rent is due -  their value is far more determined by the larger, longer term sample - and regardless, I doubt they'd be dealing him for a (longshot) pick - I would guess their would be a player/contract coming back.

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And if Jake breaks out on the second line? What then?

You throw him to another team as fast as you can, like he is on fire... let them get burned when he reverts back to being what he has been the bulk of his career.

Go look at his production in the last calendar year.. it has been abysmal and it isn't just a slow start to this season.  He has been bad for a long time, and if you take out that short stretch in the middle of last season where he was on fire at almost a PPG... he hasn't shown any sort of material improvement in his career.  

He is 9 points in his last 52 games (or a 14 point pace for a 82 game season).  That isn't just an anomaly, especially since that is pretty much his level his entire career. (13-25 points a season aside from his offensive outburst in Dec/January last year)  His stretch of current bad play is 3 times as long as the short heater he went on last season... Somehow people think of that tiny few week sample size as the true indicator of him as a player, and not the much several years long one we have before and since those weeks? 

We should really have seen enough to know what he is by now... some magic transformation keeps getting even more and more remote, and if it doesn happen, it really doesn't seem like that would be on this team.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You throw him to another team as fast as you can, like he is on fire... let them get burned when he reverts back to being what he has been the bulk of his career.

Agreed because we all know consistency is the issue with Jake and will always be.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Give him the Hodgson treatment. Put him in a good role to inflate his #s.

( @oldnews in fairness it's also partly the current situation) 

They would, except Jake like to sit on the half wall and wait for the game to come to him. You could play him on PP1 and it still wouldn't amount to much, and I really like Jake's assets.