The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

41 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

They would, except Jake like to sit on the half wall and wait for the game to come to him. You could play him on PP1 and it still wouldn't amount to much, and I really like Jake's assets. 

I honestly don't know what the answer is for Jake. Once in awhile he gets the puck with a head of steam and a clear idea where he wants to go. At times like that he is a force, but it happens maybe once every three or four games, for about five to twelve seconds. Too often he is hanging around the blue line in the defensive zone, not doing much of anything and not putting any pressure on the point man. The only advice I would have for Jake is that if you want to play more, play better when you get your chance. Be engaged, peed-off even, make your considerable size and strength count, punish those you play against with fast, tough hockey. Unfortunately for Jake, he is lost and I don't know if he'll ever find what it takes to be the player he could be, but isn't. I really think it is time for a change of scenery, and if he is moved, I will hope he becomes a star. But it won't be in Vancouver.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I honestly don't know what the answer is for Jake. Once in awhile he gets the puck with a head of steam and a clear idea where he wants to go. At times like that he is a force, but it happens maybe once every three or four games, for about five to twelve seconds. Too often he is hanging around the blue line in the defensive zone, not doing much of anything and not putting any pressure on the point man. The only advice I would have for Jake is that if you want to play more, play better when you get your chance. Be engaged, peed-off even, make your considerable size and strength count, punish those you play against with fast, tough hockey. Unfortunately for Jake, he is lost and I don't know if he'll ever find what it takes to be the player he could be, but isn't. I really think it is time for a change of scenery, and if he is moved, I will hope he becomes a star. But it won't be in Vancouver.

He seems to play like the friends he is going to see later that day are watching and he wants to be cautious and not embarrass himself. Maybe a change of scenery does it for him. 

• Huggy Bear 1

The wrap around that never goes in. He loves

going behind the net but if he’d just sit in front of it and battle he’d be more successful. Time for him to alter his game ala Tyler Motte. Needs to lay the body on the forecheck or make players look over their shoulder.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, billabong said:

To van: deslaurier, 3rd pick 2021

to ana: virtanen 

I’d take that and run 

ana takes on 1.5m in cap for next year 

I would trade for either one of these player Max Jones 6'1, 23 ,- 220 lbs  -- 1st rounder like Jake plays with an edge...Or Troy Terry...

Deslaurier 30, 6'1, 215 lbs -- Very tough but he is 30 no thanks need to trade Jake for guy similar age group...

Jake Virtanen scored 18 goals last season -- 69 GP - 18 G = PTS 36  -- We should get a player under 26 that has some up side...

Some manager will be excited to get Jake.., Jake will be 20 goal scorer 42 - 45 point guy with new team..

Jake plays with even less confidence this year.....

Edited by wildcam

6 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

The wrap around that never goes in. He loves

going behind the net but if he’d just sit in front of it and battle he’d be more successful. Time for him to alter his game ala Tyler Motte. Needs to lay the body on the forecheck or make players look over their shoulder.

He'd have to have Motte's heart to play anything like Motte.  No chance of that happening.

15 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Looks like Reaves has the edge but still a great showing by Deslaurier 

Question is can he skate and play hockey? 

Was going to say that Reaves still looked like he handled Deslaurier pretty easily there. 

Ducks linked to Virtanen … Canucks may need to retain salary to move Sutter

Harman Dayal and Thomas Drance of The Athletic: Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen has been in the rumor mill for a while now. Elliotte Friedman mentioned on Sportsnet 650 that he’s heard Virtanen linked to the Anaheim Ducks. Virtanen’s salary next year may be a bit of a stumbling block for the Ducks.

please Ducks take Jake off our hands....

37 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
Ducks linked to Virtanen … Canucks may need to retain salary to move Sutter

Harman Dayal and Thomas Drance of The Athletic: Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen has been in the rumor mill for a while now. Elliotte Friedman mentioned on Sportsnet 650 that he’s heard Virtanen linked to the Anaheim Ducks. Virtanen’s salary next year may be a bit of a stumbling block for the Ducks.

please Ducks take Jake off our hands....

Virtanen + Benn for Manson please.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe Heinen could be the 3C going forward, worth a shot anyways.

He's also an RFA at year's end, so a chance to renegotiate a better cap hit for the team - unlike Virtanen. 

He’s played the wing his pro entire career. 

51 faceoffs taken in his career and he’s won 33% of them. 

• Thanks 2