The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Lol trading in division, what could go wrong?

Watch Anaheim get the best out of Jake and it comes back to haunt us.

Thats why I don’t get trading Virtanen before Green gets fired. It’s not like his value can go much lower. I wanna see what a veteran coach can get out of him.

Then there will be zero doubt.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Thats why I don’t get trading Virtanen before Green gets fired. It’s not like his value can go much lower. I wanna see what a veteran coach can get out of him.

With Dallas Eakin coaching I highly doubt it.

Ducks fans are up in arms that all those young guys are sitting.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Nuck1991 said:

Elliote friedman just said its not likely to happen

Good.

I get that Virtanen doesn’t have much value but Heineken really doesn’t add much to our team.

Id rather roll the dice on a project D man and hope for the best.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

I for one am done with Jake. I think hes a very underwhelming player. I could say he's a useful player if he showed up every game and at least provided physicality, but he's soooo inconsistent. I don't think he will turn in to anything, but a bottom 6 player for the rest of his career. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, GetFocht said:

He seems to play like the friends he is going to see later that day are watching and he wants to be cautious and not embarrass himself. Maybe a change of scenery does it for him. 

I get that, for sure. But, man, get with the program. You're making 2.5 million minus taxes and agent a year. Snap to it. What would you do for that kind of money?

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Give it up DeNiro :picard: Jake isn't coming back to haunt us. Do you even watch him play? He stands in front of his own net playing defence more than stands in front of the net in the O zone. It's over. I'm willing to go as far as saying Jake will not score more than 15 goals in a season the rest of his career.

• Hydration 2
19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Virtanen isn't worth much around the NHL, his second year of the deal in a pandemic is headache for many, and his lackadaisical approach to the game at the age of 24 looks more like a reclamation project rather than an established NHLer.

If people are expecting a pretty piece to comeback in return, man people are in for a rude awakening. Its funny people say they are done with Virtanen, but become really picky in terms of what is rumored to be coming back the other way. 

You speak the truth. The truth hurts sometimes. 

• Hydration 3
14 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Give it up DeNiro :picard: Jake isn't coming back to haunt us. Do you even watch him play? He stands in front of his own net playing defence more than stands in front of the net in the O zone. It's over. I'm willing to go as far as saying Jake will not score more than 15 goals in a season the rest of his career.

I see a player that’s frozen because he doesn’t know what the coach wants out of him anymore and is afraid to get benched.

Miller was one of our hardest workers last season and even he’s quitting on the coach.

We need a veteran coach that’s able to push the right buttons on players cause Green doesn’t have it.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Agree but when he is on pins and needles every shift because his coach is looking for fault its not easy

unless your name is Rousel in which case you do anything without having to be accountable 

i just have a gut feel we wait until our new coach has a chance with Jake 

You know what, I actually agree with you on this, which I rarely do because of your insistent slamming of Green. However, although TG isn't perfect, and I've never thought that he was, how could anyone perform under someone who is constantly micro-managing? 

I'm looking at the Canucks players on the Cap Friendly draft simulator: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

For forwards there are the usual suspects who will be protected: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson with two slots remaining. The most likely players (most likely to most people) who will fill the remaining spots will be Gaudette and Virtanen.

I believe Virtanen is (and will be) a better player than Heinen. Assuming Virtanen were to be traded for Heinen, would you use Vitanen's vacated spot on the protected list for Heinen, or would you use it for someone else?

The point of the question is, if Virtanen was still with the Canucks at the time of the draft, then I believe it would be likely that he would be protected, and therefore another player viewed by many to have greater, current utility would be drafted from the Canucks (say Myers). If Virtanen were left unprotected (in favour of another forward), then I believe he could be the likely candidate to be taken by Seattle, leaving the Canucks with a guy they'd prefer to keep, but have to leave exposed.

So, assuming Virtanen were to be traded for Heinen, would you protect Heinen or not? And is he worth protecting, rather than using him as bait in an attempt to keep Myers, or another forward prospect (eg. Lind). And if he is potentially expendable as a chip in the expansion draft (for those who would leave him exposed), then why bother to trade Virtanen, at least not until after the expansion draft?

regards,  G.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see a player that’s frozen because he doesn’t know what the coach wants out of him anymore and is afraid to get benched.

Miller was one of our hardest workers last season and even he’s quitting on the coach.

We need a veteran coach that’s able to push the right buttons on players cause Green doesn’t have it.

Miller is quitting on himself. Have you seen his play lately? Brutal giveaways in almost every game. Dont get me wrong, he is a heck of a player and defintely works hard but you can't blame the coach when he is given every opportunity to succeed.

Edited by HOFsedins
  • Hydration 1
49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Green has given Jake every opportunity in the world to showcase his abilities and in the end the problem is between Jakes ears. If you can’t see this you’re blind. 

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Green has given Jake every opportunity in the world to showcase his abilities and in the end the problem is between Jakes ears. If you can’t see this you’re blind. 

Sometimes players just need a change of scenery or a new voice. Happens all the time where players just figure it out under a new coach.

Theres no harm in waiting until a new coach is in place.