Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block


Recommended Posts

Jim about to make another stupid trade.

no point trading JV let the next coach see if can get through to him.


only players that should be available are beagle sutter Ar le Myers Benn Pearson edler 

bearcheese 

Trading JV will Just another bad move by a gm who’s the worst gm currently employed in the nhl. 
 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeNiro said:

Sometimes players just need a change of scenery or a new voice. Happens all the time where players just figure it out under a new coach.

 

Theres no harm in waiting until a new coach is in place.

For me the biggest issue with Jake is that he picks and chooses when he wants to actually try. If you’ve been bumped out of the top 6 into a 4th line role, do something about it to earn your spot back by engaging yourself and being noticeable. If he actually gave a crap most nights and gave honest efforts he would be given more responsibility and ice time. Instead, far too often he coasts and floats and you rarely hear his name mentioned in most broadcasts. This kid oozes potential sorely based on his natural skating ability, strength, and hard shot yet it seems as if he just wants to do the bare minimum in order to keep collecting an NHL paycheque. If you dig deep enough and realize that his off ice habits reflect his on ice play you’d realize this is a kid who’s content with what he is as a player and isn’t willing to go the extra mile to better himself as an all around player. It’s disappointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtanen for Heinen? What’s the point? Does Benning actually think this will improve the team? As others have stated, Manson would make the trade worthwhile, as he adds a serious physical edge to the defense. 
 

Heinen isn’t anything special at all, and trading Jake for him makes zero sense. Clearly Benning is running out of options and ideas. Seven years is long enough. If Benning makes this trade, he has to go. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Virtanen hasn’t realized his full potential because he’s had minor league coaches who aren’t capable as NHL coaches. Instead of trading him, maybe hire an experienced and proven NHL coach to get things on track instead of not addressing the team’s glaring weaknesses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

I get that, for sure. But, man, get with the program. You're making 2.5 million minus taxes and agent a year. Snap to it. What would you do for that kind of money?

Some guys do just enough. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh... I hope this is better than I think it will be.

 

Maybe something good in a package (if Heinen is the main piece coming back )could be:

 

Virtanen 

Rafferty

Baertschi 

 

for

Heinen

Two low end minor league players to even up the contract numbers 

 

At least it saves us cap money right now, even if it doesn’t make the team any better.  The value of making enough cap space to not push the ELC bonuses (if we can also move a couple expiring players) would turn it into a win.
 

Anaheim has a ton of LTIR room, so absorbing Baertschi for the rest of the year doesn’t hurt them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Virtanen for Heinen? What’s the point? Does Benning actually think this will improve the team? As others have stated, Manson would make the trade worthwhile, as he adds a serious physical edge to the defense. 
 

Heinen isn’t anything special at all, and trading Jake for him makes zero sense. Clearly Benning is running out of options and ideas. Seven years is long enough. If Benning makes this trade, he has to go. 

We arent getting Manson.  Hes a legit top 3 dman.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Provost said:

Ugh... I hope this is better than I think it will be.

 

Maybe something good in a package (if Heinen is the main piece coming back )could be:

 

Virtanen 

Rafferty

Baertschi 

 

for

Heinen

Two low end minor league players to even up the contract numbers 

 

At least it saves us cap money right now, even if it doesn’t make the team any better.  The value of making enough cap space to not push the ELC bonuses (if we can also move a couple expiring players) would turn it into a win.
 

Anaheim has a ton of LTIR room, so absorbing Baertschi for the rest of the year doesn’t hurt them.

 

I just don’t get what Benning expects Heinen will bring to the team that isn’t already here. He’ll just be another tweener that’ll clog up the forward corps. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I get that, for sure. But, man, get with the program. You're making 2.5 million minus taxes and agent a year. Snap to it. What would you do for that kind of money?

yesss GIF

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I just don’t get what Benning expects Heinen will bring to the team that isn’t already here. He’ll just be another tweener that’ll clog up the forward corps. 

Don’t get me wrong... I think it is a terrible idea and that they should trade Jake just for a pick to save the cap space.

 

My post was how we could turn it into a positive IF Heinen was the piece coming this way.  The cap savings is how.

 

Based on Jim’s previous record though, it is straight up for each other... with the teams haggling about whether we throws them a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick as a sweetener.

Edited by Provost
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I just don’t get what Benning expects Heinen will bring to the team that isn’t already here. He’ll just be another tweener that’ll clog up the forward corps. 

Yes and apparently he's weak along the boards. :sadno:

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm looking at the Canucks players on the Cap Friendly draft simulator: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

 

For forwards there are the usual suspects who will be protected: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson with two slots remaining. The most likely players (most likely to most people) who will fill the remaining spots will be Gaudette and Virtanen.

 

I believe Virtanen is (and will be) a better player than Heinen. Assuming Virtanen were to be traded for Heinen, would you use Vitanen's vacated spot on the protected list for Heinen, or would you use it for someone else?

 

The point of the question is, if Virtanen was still with the Canucks at the time of the draft, then I believe it would be likely that he would be protected, and therefore another player viewed by many to have greater, current utility would be drafted from the Canucks (say Myers). If Virtanen were left unprotected (in favour of another forward), then I believe he could be the likely candidate to be taken by Seattle, leaving the Canucks with a guy they'd prefer to keep, but have to leave exposed.

 

So, assuming Virtanen were to be traded for Heinen, would you protect Heinen or not? And is he worth protecting, rather than using him as bait in an attempt to keep Myers, or another forward prospect (eg. Lind). And if he is potentially expendable as a chip in the expansion draft (for those who would leave him exposed), then why bother to trade Virtanen, at least not until after the expansion draft?

 

                                                     regards,  G.

Seattle is very much into advanced stats and already have one of the largest department in the league.  They even used advanced stats to assess the different GM candidates including contract efficiency and not just drafting.  If their numbers are anywhere near the public models then there is probably not much of a chance that they would take Myers or Virtanen (or Holtby).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Don’t get me wrong... I think it is a terrible idea and that they should trade Jake just for a pick to save the cap space.

 

My post was how we could turn it into a positive IF Heinen was the piece coming this way.  The cap savings is how.

 

Based on Jim’s previous record though, it is straight up for each other... with the teams haggling about whether we throws them a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick as a sweetener.

I’d like to see what Virtanen could do under an experienced coach first. He’s spent his entire NHL career under two coaches who haven’t been able to sustain success with their rosters. Seeing how lifeless the team is under Green leads me to believe that Jake would benefit from a more proven coach. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mll said:

Seattle is very much into advanced stats and already have one of the largest department in the league.  They even used advanced stats to assess the different GM candidates including contract efficiency and not just drafting.  If their numbers are anywhere near the public models then there is probably not much of a chance that they would take Myers or Virtanen (or Holtby).  

We don’t have any good players to pick... they will probably select a prospect from us like Lind. 
you are right, why would they take a player like Virtanen or Myers when they could get a comparable one in free agency for cheaper this offseason when money is going to be tight again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Provost said:

We don’t have any good players to pick... they will probably select a prospect from us like Lind. 
you are right, why would they take a player like Virtanen or Myers when they could get a comparable one in free agency for cheaper this offseason when money is going to be tight again.

I would just protect Lind over a guy like virtanen

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don’t have any good players to pick... they will probably select a prospect from us like Lind. 
you are right, why would they take a player like Virtanen or Myers when they could get a comparable one in free agency for cheaper this offseason when money is going to be tight again.

I still think Holtby is a good option for them. He'd have 1 year left and could possibly compete with another goalie that year for that spot long-term.

 

What are there other goaltending options? Talbot? Allen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, combover said:

Jim about to make another stupid trade.

no point trading JV let the next coach see if can get through to him.


only players that should be available are beagle sutter Ar le Myers Benn Pearson edler 

bearcheese 

Trading JV will Just another bad move by a gm who’s the worst gm currently employed in the nhl. 
 

Funny how you mention those names, other teams are probably saying they dont want them 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...