The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

34 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

What kind of player is Dahlen. Why does he continue to play Allsvenskan istead of stiffer competition in the SHL. What’s he trying to prove, I don’t get it 

My take on it is that when he began to hesitate(because he didn’t want to make mistakes due to the coach Greenalike behaviour) at the high speed/force in AHL, he got some concussions. Those concussions together with his known loyalty for Timrå IK is probably the reasons why he didn’t try at a higher level. Some teams in SHL offered some deals as I’ve heard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Am I missing something?  You made a claim that Green isn't communicating with Virtanen by making some tenuous connection that Dahlen claimed his AHL coach (not Green by the way) didn't communicate with him enough.

Not only was Green NOT Dahlen's coach... but Dahlen has since flopped out of the AHL with his NEW team and coach and is now playing in a 2nd tier Swedish league.... so it seems pretty clear that there is more keeping him out of the NHL than one coach not talking with him enough.

There is no way to correlate the two things at all really, and I have no idea why messaging DeNiro for a claim you are making would be appropriate.  If he thinks the same as you, then he can read my response to your claim.

I said ”if”... No wonder I get in a lot of ridiculus discussions when you guys try to pin words on me I didn’t say.

You know what the word ”if” means huh?

32 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Does anybody remember the history between Jake and Green?  Green spent a lot of one on one time holding Jakes hand in Utica.  They showed him film of the way they wanted him to play.  Basically drew him a picture and tried to build him up. 

Look, if Jake is dumb as a bag of hammers, don't hang it on Green.  He's tired of a player who was spoon fed and still doesn't get it.  I don't blame him a bit.

It's greens system Jake didn't understand.he had a really good year on the hitman during his draft year then things changed in Calgary the next year after he was drafted by Vancouver.

49 minutes ago, Violator said:

Canucks had no solid depth thus the reason why they pushed him to the show way to early.

thats true, but had he been age edible for Utica I think thats where he should have gone. I really don't understand why they still hang on to that rule.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Let’s revisit it in a few years and see who was completely incorrect 

for the record, Green is incapable of showing anybody the right way to play. Name 1 success story from his time in Utica. 

no clue how Green’s cult rationalizes his existence as a head coach when he frankly has a horrible record. Never taken a team to a title at any level if hockey and somehow now he is a star at developing players?

tell that to Jake, Gauds, Goldy  and the list goes on 

My comment was more about Jake than Green. 

There have been a bunch of dud's thru the system.  Benning and his spaghetti test for players.  Most haven't stuck to the wall.  Goldy was a dud and he's cycled right back to the KHL.  Where's Dahlen?  2nd div in Sweden I think.  You can't hang that on Green either because others haven't been able to turn them into players either.  Gauds is a work in progress and really a long shot imo.  But building a team has a lot of evaluating and many aren't going to pass.

I'm not sure what has happened this year frankly but the chemistry in the room took a body blow in the off season and now they're struggling to get it together.  People talk of what a tight group the Canucks were and they lost Tanev, Stecher and Marky who were all heart and soul types in the room. 

Guys like Miller can be great but he clearly brings a lot of negativity if things aren't going right.  Maybe the room can no longer absorb his influence (I'm speculating).  Kesler was another who needed to be on a team with a strong room.  Maybe they should be thinking about moving on from Miller.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Maybe they should be thinking about moving on from Miller.  

It is counterintuitive... but maybe also something to consider if they think last year was really his career year.

He has been more along the lines of a Pearson level producer most of his career before last year’s huge spike.  Lots of players have a career year in the middle and never reach those heights again... really that is the case more often than a guy hits a new level suddenly well into his career and then sustains it.

If there was a huge return for Miller you have to look consider it.  He would be a 1st round pick, a blue chip prospect, and a roster player territory in order for that to make sense... or if in the offseason we could get a package that also included a ton of cap relief.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Virtanen for Heinen? What’s the point? Does Benning actually think this will improve the team? As others have stated, Manson would make the trade worthwhile, as he adds a serious physical edge to the defense. 

Heinen isn’t anything special at all, and trading Jake for him makes zero sense. Clearly Benning is running out of options and ideas. Seven years is long enough. If Benning makes this trade, he has to go. 

You can't get significantly more than the player is worth. I wouldn’t trade Manson for Jake. Why would the Ducks? 

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

With this a lost season appearing most likely

If Jake is traded:

Is it more important to fans to trade within division and get a immediate return?

Best player available that would require quarantine and  possibly lose in ED ? 

Draft pick or protected ED player?

Draft pick ideally.

We are currently facing close to $5 million in ELC bonuses that will be pushed into next year when we already have a cap crunch in paying for raises for Petterson, Hughes, and Demko.

Moving Jake, Sutter, and Pearson (soon) mean that most of those bonuses could be paid with this year’s cap and not pushed.

It is what makes the Heinen a bad idea, especially as it is reported that the Canucks don’t want to accept just

a draft pick back.  If that is true, it is just being bad at considering cap implications... which is a hallmark of this regime.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

We are currently facing close to $5 million in ELC bonuses that will be pushed into next year when we already have a cap crunch in paying for raises for Petterson, Hughes, and Demko.

Moving Jake, Sutter, and Pearson (soon) mean that most of those bonuses could be paid with this year’s cap and not pushed.

My guess is that other GM's are aware of this and will not offer fair value in return ?

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

My guess is that other GM's are aware of this and will not offer fair value in return ?

I don’t think many other GMs think of us as competition right now... certainly not to the point where they would submarine additions to their team to make sure we didn’t benefit.

The teams looking to pick up rentals are ones looking for playoff help against other playoff teams... we don’t factor into that equation.

Fair value right now is getting rid of their cap hits for mid round picks, not getting equivalent players back.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Violator said:

It's greens system Jake didn't understand.he had a really good year on the hitman during his draft year then things changed in Calgary the next year after he was drafted by Vancouver.

Jake was a man among boys in junior hockey.  He’s unable to process the game at the NHL level fast enough. 

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I get these owners are penny pinching, but Heinen is at around 2.775 & will need to be qualified/paid at that or were basically losing Virtanen for nothing. AND we should have to retain to do it? Nah

Don't blame Aqua at all here. 

I was hoping that the trade was stalled because it’s a massive waste of time. And completely pointless. 

• Cheers 1