The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

With this a lost season appearing most likely

If Jake is traded:

Is it more important to fans to trade within division and get a immediate return?

Best player available that would require quarantine and  possibly lose in ED ? 

Draft pick or protected ED player?

Just move him. His value has never been lower. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Your need to blame the Canucks for a guy who’d barely hack it in the ECHL is puzzling at best. 

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. 
Catch up with DeNiro so maybe you understand more why. 
Or do you only want to troll me into some strange discussion again? 
I noticed gurn are on it to... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was hoping that the trade was stalled because it’s a massive waste of time. And completely pointless. 

Agreed. This seems like a dumb trade no matter which way you look at it. We don’t need another “Heinin” type in the lineup. Not to mention trading Jake to a team within our normal division. I can already see it backfiring and it hasn’t even happened lol. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

More I think about it the less likely this trade for Heinen happens. The Canucks are not making the playoffs this year and they have about 5M to pay out next year in Entry Level Contract bonuses. We are already right on the cap and need to re-up Hughes and Pettersson next year as well. I think Virtanen will be dumped for a pick. Who knows what Heinen will be awarded in his next contract as well (like you know he will be RFA).

Shame because I have more faith in Heinen’s potential than Virtanen’s potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Shame because I have more faith in Heinen’s potential than Virtanen’s potential.

Don’t worry... if we trade Jake for a 3rd, we can pick up Heinen in the summer as a UFA when he isn’t qualified by Anaheim (if we want him).

His salary is probably going to be $1.25 million then in another tight UFA market.

I like the idea of packaging Virtanen plus some cap dumps for Connolly to drop some cap space and upgrade a roster player at the same time.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Don’t worry... if we trade Jake for a 3rd, we can pick up Heinen in the summer as a UFA when he isn’t qualified by Anaheim (if we want him).

His salary is probably going to be $1.25 million then in another tight UFA market.

I like the idea of packaging Virtanen plus some cap dumps for Connolly to drop some cap space and upgrade a roster player at the same time.

Jake is $3.4 million next year and Heinen will only be $1.2  your thinking?

If you think Heinen has more potential then why are we paying almost 3x as much Jake next year?

23 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Jake is $3.4 million next year and Heinen will only be $1.2  your thinking?

If you think Heinen has more potential then why are we paying almost 3x as much Jake next year?

Ummm... because he was signed to that as part of a bad decision to qualify him by our management?

Virtanen being badly overpaid doesn’t have any impact on what a UFAs value will be this summer.

Heinen also doesn’t particularly have more potential than Jake either, not sure where you got that part.  I said I would only take him if we could dump cap along with him.

I also doubt we can really get a 3rd for Jake right now with his contract, at least without taking bad money back in the bargain ... but I remain hopeful.

Edited by Provost

7 hours ago, Violator said:

It's greens system Jake didn't understand.he had a really good year on the hitman during his draft year then things changed in Calgary the next year after he was drafted by Vancouver.

I wouldn't be surprised.  He was a point a game player with the Hitmen for his 2 final seasons there.  Then in Van and in Utica he was much much less.

2012-13 3.png Calgary Hitmen WHL 62 16 18 34 67 25 | Playoffs 15 2 4 6 27 -2
  16.png Canada Pacific U17 WHC-17 5 5 2 7 8   |              
2013-14 3.png Calgary Hitmen WHL 71 45 26 71 100 23 | Playoffs 6 1 3 4 4 -2
  31.png Canada U18 WJC-18 7 3 3 6 10 2 |              
2014-15 3.png Calgary Hitmen WHL 50 21 31 52 82 15 | Playoffs 14 5 8 13 28 -1
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 0 0 0 0 0 0 | Playoffs 10 0 1 1 6 2
  31.png Canada U20 WJC-20 7 1 3 4 4 4 |              
2015-16 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 55 7 6 13 45 -7 |              
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 2 0 0 0 0 0 |              
  31.png Canada U20 WJC-20 5 0 1 1 10 0 |              
2016-17 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 10 0 1 1 2 1 |              
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 65 9 10 19 48 -11 |
  • Thanks 1

I've been a Jake supporter from the start.  Patience for a young power forward is important.  But at this point, I was wrong.  More telling than his on-ice performance is his off-ice performance.  Being a top 10 draft pick for the NHL should come with expectations of professionalism.  The Canucks have spent valuable picks, time and of course money on Jake and in return he has not provided the return that an owner should expect.  Time to move on and grumble about who we could have picked.  Hopefully we can lose Eriksson's cap hit in the process and I'll be happier.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can't get significantly more than the player is worth. I wouldn’t trade Manson for Jake. Why would the Ducks? 

To get Manson add a sweetener, Jake and a pick - 3rd or 4th round, maybe in 2022.

I’m not keen on Heinen for Jake. May as well keep Jake and put him in psychotherapy to find out why he’s so lazy. Some childhood trauma? Or does he need to go on a diet and stop eating so many potatoes? He looks bloated. Find out what Hoglander  eats and feed him that. Really, he’s mentally sluggish and after one sprint down the ice he’s done. It’s a cry for help.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I've been a Jake supporter from the start.  Patience for a young power forward is important.  But at this point, I was wrong.  More telling than his on-ice performance is his off-ice performance.  Being a top 10 draft pick for the NHL should come with expectations of professionalism.  The Canucks have spent valuable picks, time and of course money on Jake and in return he has not provided the return that an owner should expect.  Time to move on and grumble about who we could have picked.  Hopefully we can lose Eriksson's cap hit in the process and I'll be happier.

Sounds like you know more than you're willing to say right now....

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So many fans are still bullish on Jake because they don’t want to admit they were wrong, good on you brother. I wasn’t happy with the pick when it was made but I wanted nothing but the best for him as him being productive would only help my favourite team. At this point the experiment should be over, we should cut our losses and get something for him. He’s in his draft+7 season and is as disappointing now as he’s ever been. 

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Sounds like you know more than you're willing to say right now....

What more do you want him to say? He admitted he was wrong about Jake, and so were a lot of people who thought he would pan out.