The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

43 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So many levels of bad:

- Wrong pick (many said, at the time)

- Arguably rushed

- Had value/trade interest despite repeated struggles, instead Canucks gave 2nd & 3rd chances here rather than moving him elsewhere. (like we often see)

- Then they signed him to a multi-year deal which was almost immediately (as soon as the puck dropped) an anchor.

So many times they could've moved him for value, or more recently let him go for nothing, and now here we are. 

Until the day he goes on waivers and goes unclaimed you are talking out your ass.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the what? from whom, from whom? 

love that "told" qualifier.  even firmer than "believe".

believe all the rumours!

my bad - on  twitter - so must be a reliable source - even better - must be an 'expert'!

In fairness to Engels, I think Eliotte has been saying the same thing; that the 2nd year of the deal is an issue

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

image.jpeg.580648916c5933e3750e73a9086e77e3.jpeg

I really don't even know who the guy who replied to that tweet was, let alone what kind of Insider knowledge he would have.

Seems like it's just a guy that replied to a tweet with about as much substance as the original rumor

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

In fairness to Engels, I think Eliotte has been saying the same thing; that the 2nd year of the deal is an issue

in fairness to Engels, if they said Engels and Marx as often as Marx and Engels...who is Engels?

does Elliotte thinking out loud/speculating about the '2nd year' have anything to do with a twitter Heinen rumour?

I have to ask - is Benning the one who's dumb if it's 'we' who believe any rumour we read?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I really don't even know who the guy who replied to that tweet was, let alone what kind of Insider knowledge he would have.

Seems like it's just a guy that replied to a tweet with about as much substance as the original rumor

that picture is literally "Patrick Johnston".

in other words, taken with a grain of smarm.

15 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Until the day he goes on waivers and goes unclaimed you are talking out your ass.

Well, I think he meant we could have walked away from him for nothing before now... but that ship has sailed and we would be lucky if a team claimed him off waivers at this point.

I think most folks agree that it would be doubtful.  Who knows, it only takes on GM to be on the hot seat or think he needs to make a move to pick up a project.  I mean Gudbranson got traded for and then traded again... so anyone can.  

Yikes... next year we will have bad cap/untradeable contracts of:

$3.0 million Luongo recapture
$4.7 million pushed ELC
$6.0 million in Eriksson
$3.5 million in Ferland
$3.0 million in Beagle
$3.0 million in Roussel 
$2.55 million in Virtanen
$4.3 million in Holtby

That is $30 million of the cap that on dead cap or players with negative value that would cost us assets/money to unload since no one would take them even on waivers.

$30 MILLION

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Man he’s not even getting underperforming RFA players under good contracts.

How many buyouts and dead cap can one GM collect?

Jake put up the best numbers of his career in his contract year and he was paid as if he was on the rise.  His point totals have gone up every year.  And now this year is possibly his worst to date.  

Why not spend $1M to save $2M and wave bye bye to this headache?

Why trade him for somebody else's similar issue especially if they are demanding the Canucks retain $800k?

• Thanks 2

Looking at Jake's last 2 contracts.  Both times, he played his best in the final year of his contract and conversely, he played his worst the year before the final year.  True to form (first year of a 2 year contract), Virtanen is having an off year this season.  If history repeat itself, next year should be a better one for him.  So if the Nucks can't trade him this year, they could trade him next year when his value could possibly be higher. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

in fairness to Engels, if they said Engels and Marx as often as Marx and Engels...who is Engels?

does Elliotte thinking out loud/speculating about the '2nd year' have anything to do with a twitter Heinen rumour?

I have to ask - is Benning the one who's dumb if it's 'we' who believe any rumour we read?

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Fking totalitarians!

True enough. Stalin et al should have realized that there were problems with their version of Communism... there were red flags everywhere.

regards,  G.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

Looking at Jake's last 2 contracts.  Both times, he played his best in the final year of his contract and conversely, he played his worst the year before the final year.  True to form (first year of a 2 year contract), Virtanen is having an off year this season.  If history repeat itself, next year should be a better one for him.  So if the Nucks can't trade him this year, they could trade him next year when his value could possibly be higher. 

1 year contracts

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

True enough. Stalin et al should have realized that there were problems with their version of Communism... there were red flags everywhere.

regards,  G.

everyone must get the joke.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

everyone must get the joke.

I suppose my favourite Russian KGB sort of joke is as follows:

It was a cold, dark night in Gorky Park. Natasha was waiting for her contact to appear. She turned at the sound of someone walking through the snow, and said, "Boris, dahlink. Is that gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

There was the sound of a gunshot, and Natasha fell to the ground... dead.

It was gun.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

200.gif

1 hour ago, Provost said:

we would be lucky if a team claimed him off waivers at this point.

3 hours ago, GetFocht said:

So if it goes lower, do you keep letting it go until he gets cut and you get nothing? Like Loui? Just ride out the contract. 

Guess that's a risk you gotta be willing to take. I would rather see Virtanen get an opportunity with a new coach here, then somewhere else and us take a bad trade back. We clearly have different opinions on the subject, nothing wrong with that.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:50 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I was hoping that the trade was stalled because it’s a massive waste of time. And completely pointless. 

They might be spending time because that could be the best offer out there - don’t know.  Virtanen is making 3.4M next season and cash might continue to be tight for most owners.  He’s been in and out of the lineup and sometimes barely playing.  A talent evaluator described him to Dayal as a bottom of the lineup player that lacks identity.  It’s quite the money to bet on someone that might not realize his potential.

He’s at over 300 games and some talk of 300 games as the mark to know what a player is about.  The pandemic has also pushed some teams to invest more into analytics and that could make teams hesitate.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Man he’s not even getting underperforming RFA players under good contracts.

How many buyouts and dead cap can one GM collect?

JB was in a tough spot though.  Jake gets 20 goals and is immature.  If he finally matures, his cap hit looks good.  JB gambled on his player and Jake took the money and ran.  One is worse than the other, but both are at fault.