The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

10 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Nope. I shall continue to seek clarification(s) for your lack of clarity.  :)

regards,  G.

The sentence speaks for itself. It's more clear than a guy who signs off posts on an internet forum.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

It's okay. If clarity is challenging to you then work it out at your own speed. The rest of us can wait.  :)

regards,  G.

Hold your breath. 

Sure thing. I have confidence that you can reach some form of clarity from your original comment.  I suspect that most folks could provide an answer, and we are all supporting you in this challenge.  :)

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Anaheim are stacked with young forwards, Heinen is one but Comtois, Milano, Lunderstrom and Zegras all have some star quality. 

Lunderstrom might be an interesting player, 5 goals in only a few games, 21 years old and can play center...

I think Virtanen barely gets us Heinen though but would be nice if we did something like:

Virtanen + Gaudette + Chatfield + 2nd for Heinen and Comtois

Comtois onto our 2nd line, Heinen onto our 3rd line, instant boost of offence.

The Ducks play a pretty boring brand of hockey too so they might really rack up some offence under Green's riskier style of play.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Anaheim are stacked with young forwards, Heinen is one but Comtois, Milano, Lunderstrom and Zegras all have some star quality. 

Lunderstrom might be an interesting player, 5 goals in only a few games, 21 years old and can play center...

I think Virtanen barely gets us Heinen though but would be nice if we did something like:

The Ducks play a pretty boring brand of hockey too so they might really rack up some offence under Green's riskier style of play.

I work with Heinens brother in Surrey. Apparently the deal fell through because of quarantine requirements. Maybe revisited in the offseason? 

Probably more to the story or deal, but it was a short convo. 

Edited by KKnight

Anybody else notice that Virtanen always hit people like a train until early in his career with the canucks? I remember Virtanen completely running over McDavid a few years ago when they were both early in their respective NHL careers and then the very next game he was very timid and seemed to have lost his way. And he has been that way ever since. If he goes to a team like Boston, everyone could see a very different player.

46 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Anybody else notice that Virtanen always hit people like a train until early in his career with the canucks? I remember Virtanen completely running over McDavid a few years ago when they were both early in their respective NHL careers and then the very next game he was very timid and seemed to have lost his way. And he has been that way ever since. If he goes to a team like Boston, everyone could see a very different player.

He had some monster hits. Ones that also stand out are Nichushkin and Kronwall.

But Jake had some shoulder injuries, which in turn led to him dialing back the hitting. He likely just can't do it anymore, without risking injury. Don't think that's going to change, regardless of where he plays.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, KKnight said:

I work with Heinens brother in Surrey. Apparently the deal fell through because of quarantine requirements. Maybe revisited in the offseason? 

In the offseason it is pretty likely that the Ducks don’t qualify him and he becomes a UFA.  If we have interest in the player, that is the time to do it.

We will also have a good sense of how expansion opportunities fall at that point.

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

In the offseason it is pretty likely that the Ducks don’t qualify him and he becomes a UFA.  If we have interest in the player, that is the time to do it.

We will also have a good sense of how expansion opportunities fall at that point.

I think Jake has the best value as an epxansion draft victim. I'd sooner lose Jake than a player like Motte. I could see Seattle taking Jake as a project player. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I think Jake has the best value as an epxansion draft victim. I'd sooner lose Jake than a player like Motte. I could see Seattle taking Jake as a project player. 

I agree that we should leave him exposed, certainly a better option than taking on a bad contract in return.

A young player with only one year left might be enticing.  Even with Motte and Lind protected, we still have extra expansion slots available I think.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KKnight said:

that doesn't sound like the full story... I mean why even begin talking to a US team if quarantine was going to be a problem? Unless it was ANA suggesting the deal initially. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

that doesn't sound like the full story... I mean why even begin talking to a US team is quarantine was going to be a problem? Unless it was ANA suggesting the deal initially. 

I'm just telling you, what he told me. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

I'm just telling you, what he told me. 

not criticizing, just trying to fill in the blanks. It makes sense if ANA was trying to drive the deal and Benning didn't want to wait 2 weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree that we should leave him exposed, certainly a better option than taking on a ad contract in return.

A young player with only one year left might be enticing.  Even with Motte and Lind protected, we still have extra expansion slots available I think.

Seattle taking Jake is interesting.... leaves us with Holtby which is OK since Demko is starting to establish himself but he won't be getting a huge deal next year so the goalie money shouldn't be outrageous. Jake vs Myers - who do you take if you're Seattle? 

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

hey, this proposal I like a lot, BUT

I doubt that Ducks would part ways with Comtois , because he leads the Ducks in goals. I think they consider him to be part of their next core.

Lundestrom is a first round pick in 2018 (23 overall).

Chances that Ducks trade away Comtois or Lundestrom are slim (remote).

Edited by Wolfgang Durst