The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

13 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Holtby has a higher PPG than Jake

BUT Holtby and the other goalies with more points than Jake clearly have more oZone starts than he does, so his lack of production is entirely understandable.

• Haha 4

You all laughed at me when I said trade virtanen for pool party last year while his value was low 

every one was like noooooooo wayyy virtanen is going to break out and be way better! Real top six next year 

I was just sitting here waiting for everyone to stop sniffing the glue and now it’s too late 

and when tofolli walked and virtanen got pay I had a feeling this season would be like this

#Filthy McNasty for GM

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

You all laughed at me when I said trade virtanen for pool party last year while his value was low 

every one was like noooooooo wayyy virtanen is going to break out and be way better! Real top six next year 

I was just sitting here waiting for everyone to stop sniffing the glue and now it’s too late 

and when tofolli walked and virtanen got pay I had a feeling this season would be like this

#Filthy McNasty for GM

A lot of people yes, but definitely not everyone. I watched this kid play a lot of junior games and I was staggered by how simple his North / South game was and how low his hockey IQ was. I’ve never seen him turning into more that a third liner who could bang (only when he feels into it) and pop in some goals now and then and I’ve been very vocal about that. 

You’re completely right though, when we allotted a chunk of our limited salary cap to him over Tofolli the season was off to a bad start. 

11 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

#Filthy McNasty for GM

In the summer it was probably 90% on the "He has turned a corner and will be Cam Neely now" side of things and 10% "Trade him now while his value is the highest!" side.

I don't know that Pujujarvi was the best deal we could have gotten (maybe), I would have packaged him up with a cap dump to keep guys like Toffoli and Stecher.

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 radio on earlier this week on where the Canucks and Ducks are with a Jake Virtanen – Danton Heinen potential package deal.

“I think we all kind of got carried away on Saturday with that one.  I don’t think it was even that close, I have to tell you Pat. I think I first mentioned on Tuesday last week that I heard Virtanen to the Ducks and that they were trying to work it out. But if you look at the situation, Virtanen is a million less than Heinen this year, and while Heinen doesn’t have a contract next year, Virtanen’s is $3.4. That’s cash not cap. Thats’s cash. I think the two teams are like dollar for dollar. They want dollar for dollar, and they couldn’t get it there.

I was told it was never a one-for-one. They were talking about other players. One of the players that I think Anaheim might have talked about in there was Derek Grant. That was one rumbling I heard. But it wasn’t anything that the two sides could agree on.

So, they may try again. Obviously, they’ve tried several times over the past week, but on Saturday I just heard people weren’t very optimistic.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

A lot of people yes, but definitely not everyone. I watched this kid play a lot of junior games and I was staggered by how simple his North / South game was and how low his hockey IQ was. I’ve never seen him turning into more that a third liner who could bang (only when he feels into it) and pop in some goals now and then and I’ve been very vocal about that. 

You’re completely right though, when we allotted a chunk of our limited salary cap to him over Tofolli the season was off to a bad start. 

Why was he so highly touted? There were a number of scouts, minus Craig Button and a couple of others, that pegged him from 6 to 18.

Edited by Dazzle

So far this season Virtanen has scored once and has no assists in 21 games. That works out to 4 goal in a full season. 4 freaking goals !! Forget about 6th overall. Forget even being a hockey player. I can guarantee and promise you 100% if we play this game with 4 players and placed a fire hydrant in front of the opposite net for a full 82 games season. The fire hydrant will get more than 4 goals. If all rumours are true about money. Then i really have to blame Jimmy Benny here as well. Why give him a back dive 2 year contract. He doesnt worth over 3 mill. next year or ever at all.  It seems like a stupid move in the summer and its back firing right now as we speak. I woke up to another disappointed morning. My only hope now is i wish he is a healthy scratch tonight and they will finally put the fire hydrant out tonight vs TO. Go Fire Hydrant!!!

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Eichel

BUF

Horvat

Virtanen

Eriksson

EP and QH will be asking for 10 mil each if this deal goes through kinda like what Marner did with the Leafs using Matthews contract.

Eriksson comes off shortly, we will be able to add a valuable piece then. I'd much rather get 3 good roster players than 1.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That wouldn't get Eichel. As good as Horvat is, you'd have to add value to him, not diminish it.

the only way that package works is if the deal is JE and Skinner coming back, and we give them more prospects. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Why was he so highly touted? There were a number of scouts, minus Craig Button and a couple of others, that pegged him from 6 to 18.

because like (allegedly) CDC, 90% fell on the "he will be Cam Neely" side of things....:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 radio on earlier this week on where the Canucks and Ducks are with a Jake Virtanen – Danton Heinen potential package deal.

“I think we all kind of got carried away on Saturday with that one.  I don’t think it was even that close, I have to tell you Pat. I think I first mentioned on Tuesday last week that I heard Virtanen to the Ducks and that they were trying to work it out. But if you look at the situation, Virtanen is a million less than Heinen this year, and while Heinen doesn’t have a contract next year, Virtanen’s is $3.4. That’s cash not cap. Thats’s cash. I think the two teams are like dollar for dollar. They want dollar for dollar, and they couldn’t get it there.

I was told it was never a one-for-one. They were talking about other players. One of the players that I think Anaheim might have talked about in there was Derek Grant. That was one rumbling I heard. But it wasn’t anything that the two sides could agree on.

So, they may try again. Obviously, they’ve tried several times over the past week, but on Saturday I just heard people weren’t very optimistic.

Funny how this website can take a quote like the one you posted, and turn it into the article that I have linked below.  What garbage.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/03/rumor-canucks-and-ducks-close-to-multi.html?fbclid=IwAR3nLCUvGX31NnbEIkZPcDsVTCVxZeMTWNrrjaK8UScIxojx9oGReMo9Se0

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Funny how this website can take a quote like the one you posted, and turn it into the article that I have linked below.  What garbage.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/03/rumor-canucks-and-ducks-close-to-multi.html?fbclid=IwAR3nLCUvGX31NnbEIkZPcDsVTCVxZeMTWNrrjaK8UScIxojx9oGReMo9Se0

it's a race to appear 'legit' - which winds up being mere parroting the vast majority of the time  - so no one appears behind the curve = they 'borrow'.

unfortunately it results in endless, unsourced noise.

and in the end, the Friedmans also "get carried away" -  so I don't get particularly invested or 'convinced' by any of it.

The problem with the current rumours....

They involve a pair of Canucks that are struggling to produce.

Virtanen for example has a 3.3 shooting % this season.   Much larger samples of 7.7, 9.7 and 12.0%....

Gaudette has a 4.3 shooting % - with larger samples of 9.1 and 16.0. 

Probably 'safer' to expect them both to return to a mean in the 10% range...in which case we wouldn't be talking about them as much.

But they also both represent positions that the team has arguably the most depth, so from an organizational need standpoint, dealing one or both of them could make sense regardless.   Further, teams come knocking when they smell blood or opportunity - and that's the nature of this market - always out for someone on the roster's blood.  Thankfully - real world NHL trade values aren't subject to the kind of extremities and bipolar short term thinking - yesterday's weather and tomorrow's forecast - that tend to 'inform' many posters in here.  Ie  - they have no value....because....1 month of covid hockey...