The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jake gonna get traded and turn into the next Bertuzzi...

If by that, you mean getting pulled over for drunk driving on the way home from his favourite nightclub after a night with the worst crew ever... then sure... he will absolutely be the next Bertuzzi.

(too soon?)  :D

drunk randy marsh GIF by South Park

7B061B32-DBB4-4D05-A477-79013B6106F7.jpeg

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I still feel like he drives better and makes better plays coming off the left wing. I know it’s his off wing but with his inconsistency I still can’t believe he hasn’t been tried out on the left wing just to see if that helped.

I reckon it has something to do with the defensive side of play. Regardless of point production, his stats indicate he is an effective player 5v5. I think the problem with playing his off wing must be it minimizes his defensive contributions and has a higher likely hood of him being a liability. I would love to see him given a good 5 games on his off wing in a top 6 role, just to see what happens.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I reckon it has something to do with the defensive side of play. Regardless of point production, his stats indicate he is an effective player 5v5. I think the problem with playing his off wing must be it minimizes his defensive contributions and has a higher likely hood of him being a liability. I would love to see him given a good 5 games on his off wing in a top 6 role, just to see what happens.

Maybe that’s the case I know it makes receiving and passing pucks a lot tougher being on the backhand but driving the net and shooting I feel is a huge advantage. He had a nice pass on the left wing where he pulled it back to his forehand and created a 2v1! I think it’s worth a look!

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Maybe that’s the case I know it makes receiving and passing pucks a lot tougher being on the backhand but driving the net and shooting I feel is a huge advantage. He had a nice pass on the left wing where he pulled it back to his forehand and created a 2v1! I think it’s worth a look!

Agreed. I think it's worth a look as well. The limitation Jake has is how north south predominant his game is. I wish he could work with some higher skilled players on the ice to cross sides and change up the wing the rush in mid attack. Something like a neutral zone drop where Virt could come in on his off wing and let the Horvat or Hog switch up and cover his wing might work. 

But I'm with you, I'm shocked after all this time they haven't given him a legitimate stretch on his off wing to see what happens.