The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

7 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Juulsen makes more sense honestly. Hasn't played much this year. A RHD from Surrey and a former 1st round pick that's only 23 years old. 

Could work out well for both teams

he does. I feel like Cybulski maybe pulled this one out of his arse a bit. I'm sure FLA would do this deal. Its not the worst return for us, but getting an overpaid 5/6 guy is a bit meh.

Helps with expansion tho, and does make sense if there's another deal brewing of some kind involving one of our other d. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he does. I feel like Cybulski maybe pulled this one out of his arse a bit. I'm sure FLA would do this deal. Its not the worst return for us, but getting an overpaid 5/6 guy is a bit meh.

Helps with expansion tho, and does make sense if there's another deal brewing of some kind involving one of our other d. 

Would it really be the end of the world if Virtanen were picked by Seattle...

However... he did peak my curiosity on the 

VESEY - HORVAT - VIRTANEN line...

Id like to see more.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Would it really be the end of the world if Virtanen were picked by Seattle...

However... he did peak my curiosity on the VESEY - HORVAT - VIRTANEN line...

Id like to see more.

nope. We don't really 'have to' make any kind of deal here. Maybe as part of a larger plan and setting up a 2nd move of some sort? 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

nope. We don't really 'have to' make any kind of deal here. Maybe as part of a larger plan and setting up a 2nd move of some sort? 

I do like Juulsen’s 6’2” 201lbs frame. Much better than the chump from Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The other player they tried was Heinen.  Seems to suggest that Virtanen’s value is pretty meh too.  Healthy scratched, not much production, at times inconsistency from game to game and earning 3.4M next season.  Other teams also talk of the 300 game mark as the threshold to know what a player is about.  Not sure there’s going to be anything other than a change of scenery type deal available.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

The other player they tried was Heinen.  Seems to suggest that Virtanen’s value is pretty meh too.  Healthy scratched, not much production, at times inconsistency from game to game and earning 3.4M next season.  Other teams also talk of the 300 game mark as the threshold to know what a player is about.  Not sure there’s going to be anything other than a change of scenery type deal available.

I'm pretty skeptical of that one tbh, I suspect that was driven by ANA in the media and not JB, at least I hope so.

I like the idea of trading Jake for defence vs. another problematic winger, even if its bottom pairing d. 

If we were judging this from the outside, a top 9 winger makes sense for a decent bottom pair d that could occasionally play up the line with injuries. 

If the ultimate transaction is Virtanen for Nutivaara straight up, then that will have to be incredibly disappointing.  Nutivaara had a couple of good seasons with CBJ.

I could live with something like Virtanen + Rafferty for Nutivaara + Juulsen for a bit more balance.  Virtanen had been reasonably productive in the past couple of seasons and has largely stayed healthy.  He's also younger than Nutivaara who will be a UFA at the end of this current contract whereas Virtanen will still be under team control.  The money works out between between Virtanen and Nutivaara but the value doesn't.  Upgrading Rafferty with Juulsen would make the deal a bit more palatable.

Virtanen for Juulsen also seems like a bit of overpayment considering Juulsen hasn't really played that much at the NHL level yet, but the clearing of some cap space would be valuable on its own to the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You willing to pay the rumoured asking price of a 1st, and elite prospect and a third asset? 

In a heartbeat most years. Only way I hesitate is if that first is looking like it may be top 10. But 2022 1st, Podkolzin and Pearson? 

Could you imagine the minutes Ekblad and Hughes would eat on the backend?

27 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

In a heartbeat most years. Only way I hesitate is if that first is looking like it may be top 10. But 2022 1st, Podkolzin and Pearson? 

Could you imagine the minutes Ekblad and Hughes would eat on the backend?

For Ekblad, definitely paying a 1st, Podkolzin and Pearson.

That makes us instantly better and for the next ten years as well.

Although Podkolzin... If they’d take Virtanen it’d be better. I’d rather give up Virtanen and Gaudette than Podkolzin.

1st, Virtanen, Gaudette, Pearson. 

But Virtanen OR Podkolzin isn’t a hill I’d die on.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

For Ekblad, definitely paying a 1st, Podkolzin and Pearson.

That makes us instantly better and for the next ten years as well.

Although Podkolzin... If they’d take Virtanen it’d be better.

1st, Virtanen, Pearson. 

But Virtanen OR Podkolzin isn’t a hill I’d die on.

Not a chance Ekblad would only be worth our first (which is not likely to be a top 3 pick), Podkolzin (our best prospect), and Pearson who isn't really that great. Ekblad can get better offers than that.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Not a chance Ekblad would only be worth our first (which is not likely to be a top 3 pick), Podkolzin (our best prospect), and Pearson who isn't really that great. Ekblad can get better offers than that.

Quite likely.... but the post I was quoting asked if you’d be willing to give up a 1st, elite prospect and another piece for Ekblad. I think, unless you’re giving away a top ten pick in that package, it’s a no brainer. 

• Vintage 1

Panthers are desperate to unload some of their D as they lose one in the ED.  I don't see why Canucks want to help them out (unless it's for a trade with another team).  Besides, they don't need another LD.  Regardless, any trade with the Panthers should tilt in Nucks favour.

Would rather see them pick up Gudas (RD) who has 2 more years on his (2.5m) contract. 

He's 30yrs and may not score much, but...

Gudas has been a wrecking ball this season, tallying 128 hits through 27 games. He only has five points, but he plays his role well in the Panthers' system and has averaged 18:11 of ice time -- his most since 2016-17.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1