The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Virtanen is close to negative value with the season he's having and what he's owed next year.  If we can flip him for a D to expose in the entry draft, that's almost a win at this stage.  Otherwise, he's a prime buyout candidate.  Probably some team would give him a second chance as a free agent at around 1 mil. but that's the best case scenario.  We just can't afford to keep him at the cost of losing players who actually contribute. 

• Cheers 1

I really hope owners don’t allow Jb to trade JV.

thus season a wash trading JV would just be stupid at this point.

Sutter Pearson beagle Ar Benn Myers hamonic are the guys that he should be trying to get rid of. 

Especially if the return is the one that’s being reported in Florida.

A desperate Jb is an even stupider Jb

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Sutter Pearson beagle Ar Benn Myers hamonic are the guys that he should be trying to get rid of. 

So... the almost whole vet group?

Not sure that’s how you get kids into the playoffs...

Edited by Me_

19 minutes ago, combover said:

My question for you would be, how many more seasons would you want to see Jake here?  Guess you see this season as an anomaly for him vs. last season when he broke out offensively.  Thing is, although he trended positively since his 2nd year in the league, he's now regressed to a rate of scoring that's even below his rookie season and close to his sophomore season.  Even if he doesn't get traded, would you also wish to protect him during the ED ahead of either Gaudette/ MacEwen or Lind/ Gadjovich (both of whom are AHL prospects who are breaking out)?  I find that he's maddeningly inconsistent (lazy during last year's play-in and taking dumb penalties this season), and we wouldn't know any better whether a new coach (if there is one) would bring out the best in him or if he'll remain all promise and no fruition on his power forward potential.  

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

My question for you would be, how many more seasons would you want to see Jake here?  Guess you see this season as an anomaly for him vs. last season when he broke out offensively.  Thing is, although he trended positively since his 2nd year in the league, he's now regressed to a rate of scoring that's even below his rookie season and close to his sophomore season.  Even if he doesn't get traded, would you also wish to protect him during the ED ahead of either Gaudette/ MacEwen or Lind/ Gadjovich (both of whom are AHL prospects who are breaking out)?  I find that he's maddeningly inconsistent (lazy during last year's play-in and taking dumb penalties this season), and we wouldn't know any better whether a new coach (if there is one) would bring out the best in him or if he'll remain all promise and no fruition on his power forward potential.  

I believe there's a good chance jv would thrive under the right coach/system. 

I dont think  he's as lazy/inconsistent as people say. Seems to me he cannot adjust to the way he's being asked to play. 

That said, you don't get rid of a coach for the sake of one player. 

I wonder what Travis greens lifespan is in Vancouver?   

22 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I believe there's a good chance jv would thrive under the right coach/system. 

I dont think  he's as lazy/inconsistent as people say. Seems to me he cannot adjust to the way he's being asked to play. 

That said, you don't get rid of a coach for the sake of one player. 

I wonder what Travis greens lifespan is in Vancouver?   

I think so too, if we stuck him on LW in an offensive role I feel like he could be that force barreling down the wing which would be tough to stop, but when your center is Brandon Sutter... don't expect many quality passes to catch you mid-stride while you're streaking toward the net.

However, firing management is of course a common remedial course of action after or even during a disappointing season, so wouldn't be surprised if Coach Green gets sacked.  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

VAN

Karlsson @ 50%

SJS

Virtanen

Eriksson

San Jose is absolutely screwed with that $11.500MIL juggernaut of a contract. 

Karlsson “doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild”

Karlsson at $5.750MIL until he’s 36 isn’t bad at all.

HUGHES - KARLSSON

EDLER - SCHMIDT

JUOLEVI - MYERS

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Karlsson @ 50%

SJS

Virtanen

Eriksson

HUGHES - KARLSSON

EDLER - SCHMIDT

JUOLEVI - MYERS

If Karlsson  was put up for bids at 50% he would go for a hell of a lot more.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:02 PM, Me_ said:

VAN

Karlsson @ 50%

SJS

Virtanen

Eriksson

HUGHES - KARLSSON

EDLER - SCHMIDT

JUOLEVI - MYERS

No thank you

I didn't think it was a good idea to be after him as a UFA (Glad we never got him)

We don't need to be saddled with another overpaid, under performing multi millionaire

Let Sharks pay and suffer for signing him, and let Karlsson pout ( so annoying to see these guys like him take such a big part of the cap, then complain of the team)

He showed to me that he is not a team player with that attitude

Have you forgotten how well the 6 yr $6 million contracts of Lucic, Louie and Neal etc worked out when they peaked and were never worthy of their contracts afterwards?

Edited by ba;;isticsports

There's hardly any news, only journalists taking turns spreading rumours. Media picks Virtanen as the trade chip because fans are attached to the hometown kid. He is most definitely not the worst forward we have out there, there's plenty of worse cap dumps people can complain about. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Plum said:

There's hardly any news, only journalists taking turns spreading rumours. Media picks Virtanen as the trade chip because fans are attached to the hometown kid. He is most definitely not the worst forward we have out there, there's plenty of worse cap dumps people can complain about. 

This. Virtanen is not as good or bad as most of CDC makes him out to be. I would be pleased for him to move on for his own sake and for a little peace and quiet...sick of hearing about it!

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

My question for you would be, how many more seasons would you want to see Jake here?  Guess you see this season as an anomaly for him vs. last season when he broke out offensively.  Thing is, although he trended positively since his 2nd year in the league, he's now regressed to a rate of scoring that's even below his rookie season and close to his sophomore season.  Even if he doesn't get traded, would you also wish to protect him during the ED ahead of either Gaudette/ MacEwen or Lind/ Gadjovich (both of whom are AHL prospects who are breaking out)?  I find that he's maddeningly inconsistent (lazy during last year's play-in and taking dumb penalties this season), and we wouldn't know any better whether a new coach (if there is one) would bring out the best in him or if he'll remain all promise and no fruition on his power forward potential.  .

He seems like a a lot of players under green no defined role. Maybe he’s not going to be a point producer but give him a defined role use his speed and size maybe his career is third line checker.

really what can we expect back a similar player or or worse unless we add throw/away more draft picks. 

A new GM and coaching group next season might get through to him if not then move him but trading him now is pointless. 

7 minutes ago, combover said:

He seems like a a lot of players under green no defined role. Maybe he’s not going to be a point producer but give him a defined role use his speed and size maybe his career is third line checker.

really what can we expect back a similar player or or worse unless we add throw/away more draft picks. 

A new GM and coaching group next season might get through to him if not then move him but trading him now is pointless. 

Jake has been given multiple roles, though, and hasn't taken advantage of any opportunity. At this stage, the only chance he has of it "getting through to him" is if he gets sent to another team. He isn't going to do it here with us. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

So... the almost whole vet group?

Not sure that’s how you get kids into the playoffs...

Except they aren’t kids anymore.

we aren’t getting into the playoffs and the vets didn’t help did they. 

Also these veterans  aren’t helping the kids that can’t get into the line up.

How can the likes of oj chatfield Rafferty develop or take the next step when we fill the roster m.

we will be in same position next season a bunch of 23- 26 year old rookies dmen because management and coaching is to short sighted.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Jake has been given multiple roles, though, and hasn't taken advantage of any opportunity. At this stage, the only chance he has of it "getting through to him" is if he gets sent to another team. He isn't going to do it here with us. 

the phrase that keeps pooping into my head is "peak Jake" - as in I think we've seen it. He's a capable top 9, scores in streaks sometimes. Thats about it.

Flip it around, would he be a guy we'd be targeting, or would we be saying nah, lets see if we can get a covid bargain instead? 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Plum said:

I dont know a lot of fans who are attached to him at all. Maybe he's attached like a flea?

• Cheers 1