The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

3 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I’m not sure how you can play 32 games and not get a single assist?

JAKE IS AN ENGIMA!

Wrong time to sell.

Last Summer was the wrong time to buy.

This team has worse problems then Jake though.

It’s because on the odd time he scores it seems to be a solo effort.

Every other time he seems out of sync with his line mates. It’s almost as if he’s running a different play than them every time.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s because on the odd time he scores it seems to be a solo effort.

Every other time he seems out of sync with his line mates. It’s almost as if he’s running a different play than them every time.

Might just be me,

but I think most of the time when he scores I’m like wow we scored but how did the goalie not stop that or bounces off a couple players and In.

but yes, solo effort shot from a long distance and goes in, no in zone set up 

4 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Might just be me,

but I think most of the time when he scores I’m like wow we scored but how did the goalie not stop that or bounces off a couple players and In.

but yes, solo effort shot from a long distance and goes in, no in zone set up 

Looking back at his Junior days that should have been a red flag.

Many of his goals were scored on solo efforts because he was just a way better skater than everyone else. His ability to get into the zone and use his line mates was very limited and is obviously still an issue most of the time.

That’s where hockey IQ is so important when scouting. A player can have all the physical attributes in the world but no coach is going to play them if they can’t play smart hockey.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Many of his goals were scored on solo efforts because he was just a way better skater than everyone else. His ability to get into the zone and use his line mates was very limited and is obviously still an issue most of the time.

That’s where hockey IQ is so important when scouting. A player can have all the physical attributes in the world but no coach is going to play them if they can’t play smart hockey.

Exactly. Having been involved in minor hockey for fifteen years I've seen this many, many times. A kid can skate like the wind, or is more mature and stronger than the others. Sometimes that kid never learns the game because he never had to. He would just shine by leaning on his given attributes. Thing is once all the other players catch up to them their lack of hockey sense or skill makes them look average. A lot of times they quit all together. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Agree 

And now he is part of the bad contract problem the Canucks have 

beagle 

roussell

sutter 

Virtanen 

loui 

the bottom six next year all that should be here from the current roster is 

Miller petey podz

Hoglander Bo Boeser 

Pearson _____ Motte 

______ Sutter(cheaper contrAct) ______

and I don’t think vesey or Boyd will be the answers 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Scouts saw his size, shot and skating. They thought that he could be molded into an elite power forward. Jake had other plans.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Agree 

And now he is part of the bad contract problem the Canucks have 

beagle 

roussell

sutter 

Virtanen 

loui 

You forgot Holtby and Baertschi... but the good news is 14 months from now we will have 30 million off the cap.

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Scouts saw his size, shot and skating. They thought that he could be molded into an elite power forward. Jake had other plans.

Can’t ignore a players smarts though.

Even power forwards need to know how to beat players one on one and see opportunities developing.

Jake seemed to think he could beat guys one on one simply by blowing by them. NHL defensemen are too good of skaters for that to happen though.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Hockey sense is a huge asset fo sure, but in Jake's case; I think his lack of passion for the game is the biggest problem.  I still think there's a GM somewhere out there willing to take a chance on him due to his draft pick.  Most high draft picks seem to get a second chance with another team.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea you’re probably right.

For whatever reason, the insane trend of overpaying bridge contracts for forwards, has yet to have the same level of idiocy applied to D men in their second deals.

• Upvote 1

The passion for defending Jake on the basis that he doesn’t get enough quality ice time and/or that Green doesn’t like him,  seems to be waning. :rolleyes:

Now we’re down to simply worrying that somehow he will suddenly go Cam Neely on us, once traded.  

We still have long memories, but the scars seem to be healing. I think that most are now in a good place regarding this enigmatic player. It’s time to set young Tuna free. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The passion for defending Jake on the basis that he doesn’t get enough quality ice time and/or that Green doesn’t like him,  seems to be waning. :rolleyes:

Now we’re down to simply worrying that somehow he will suddenly go Cam Neely on us, once traded.  

We still have long memories, but the scars seem to be healing. I think that most are now in a good place regarding this enigmatic player. It’s time to set young Tuna free. 

For me, the concern is that Jake is going to float around for another season and be cast off without anything coming back.  But, at this stage, Jake's cap space for 2023-2024 is more valuable than the player itself.  I would be thrilled if the Canucks could get a 3rd or 4th round pick back from him (highly ambitious, given how badly Virtanen's contract is structured and he's now in the category of a diminishing asset).

Other moves that would make me very happy: see Loui retire (or failing that, buy him out - $4M cap hit in 21-22 and $1M cap hit in 22-23); see Roussel retire (or failing that, buy him out - $1.74M cap hit in 21-22 and $634K cap hit in 22-23).  That would give the Canucks a little more flexibility than burying these two in the minors for 21-22.  Pain that would have to be accepted would be the $1.634M in dead cap in 2022-2023.  But I think that's worth it to gain $3.3M in additional cap space for 2021-2022.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

For me, the concern is that Jake is going to float around for another season and be cast off without anything coming back.  But, at this stage, Jake's cap space for 2023-2024 is more valuable than the player itself.  I would be thrilled if the Canucks could get a 3rd or 4th round pick back from him (highly ambitious, given how badly Virtanen's contract is structured and he's now in the category of a diminishing asset).

We're probably not getting rid of the cap hit. We're either getting another player of a similar hit back that also needs a change of scenery/better fits our organizational needs, or my hope, we add some other assets (additional player/prospect/pick) to upgrade one of our positions of need (3C or RD).

Especially if we can swing it for a player another team won't be able to protect in the ED. They get Virtanen + some assets for a guy they were going to lose for nothing.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Other moves that would make me very happy: see Loui retire (or failing that, buy him out - $4M cap hit in 21-22 and $1M cap hit in 22-23); see Roussel retire (or failing that, buy him out - $1.74M cap hit in 21-22 and $634K cap hit in 22-23).  That would give the Canucks a little more flexibility than burying these two in the minors for 21-22.  Pain that would have to be accepted would be the $1.634M in dead cap in 2022-2023.  But I think that's worth it to gain $3.3M in additional cap space for 2021-2022.

Maybe Aquaman has told JB,I have enough players on the bench ,in the minors, or not even playing at all and I am not buying anyone out after i outbid everyone you told me would help this team and if you cannot Manage this without costing me more, It will be you i will buying out. Successful Business men like Aqua do not like to see investments and returns fail

• Upvote 1

Trade virtanen if possible

do not resign 

pearson

sutter 

benn

hamonic

only resign Edler for low cap hit

keep motte unless you get a nice offer

and let the other contracts expire themselves next year

i just did jim’s job in a couple minutes lol

• Cheers 1