The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ironically, Nick Ritchie has never cracked 31 pts.

and happens to be Boston's 2RW right now.

That's who DeBrusk is 'competing' with.

Sam 18yr old Bennett taken over Virtanen - arguably no better, if as good.

Michael Dal Colle taken over Virtanen....19 career NHL points thus far.

Grass is always greener.

Hey man, take a deep breath. It's okay if many in this fanbase are tired of Virtanen. It's not like Green has been deservedly playing him of late or anything like that.

Is it also not fair that there are other posters who are suggesting that there are comparable players who could be flipped for Virt? Maybe a guy like DeBrusk could use a change of scenery as well. Not saying he's the best fit, but one could still make the argument that he is. Or someone like Bennett?

You're better than grasping at straws like this. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Ironically, Nick Ritchie has never cracked 31 pts.

and happens to be Boston's 2RW right now.

That's who DeBrusk is 'competing' with.

Sam 18yr old Bennett taken over Virtanen - arguably no better, if as good.

Michael Dal Colle taken over Virtanen....19 career NHL points thus far.

Grass is always greener.

Yeah, I didn't mention Bennett because he was already gone by the time the Canucks drafted. (Otherwise I'd be lamenting the Draisatl pick B))

Ehlers and Nylander seem to be the tow guys drafted after Virt that you could make an argument for, but after watching Tuch manhandle our D in the playoffs, I'd take him over any them right now.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hey man, take a deep breath. It's okay if many in this fanbase are tired of Virtanen. It's not like Green has been deservedly playing him of late or anything like that.

Is it also not fair that there are other posters who are suggesting comparable players whom could be flipped for Virt? Maybe a guy like DeBrusk (for whatever reason (and I'm not saying he's the best fit, either)) could use a change of scenery as well. Or someone like Bennett?

You're better than grasping at straws like this. 

wut?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm just going from memory, but at the time, I seem to recall a lot of complaining about the team passing on nick Ritchie and Nic Ehlers....

Looking back at it now, I'd say that Alex Tuch is the one that got away....

Virtanen @ 6th overall

Pastrnak @ 25th overall 

1 minute ago, ImConfused said:

Maybe Louie Debrusk would become a bigger and more vocal Canucks fan? Win-win IMHO

Never cared for Louie as a player - but he's a really good colour commentator imo - professional, no evident homer tendencies - I think he's one of the best, presently.

But still not a good argument for acquiring his son, who doesn't really make sense for this team imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

Maybe Louie Debrusk would become a bigger and more vocal Canucks fan? Win-win IMHO

Thing is, I've always wanted the Canucks to have a guy named Dunn in the lineup....as well as a guy named Unger. (yes, they'd still have to add Unger somehow)

That way, I could describe a player's vale as "Over Unger, but under Dunn"....B)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thing is, I've always wanted the Canucks to have a guy named Dunn in the lineup....as well as a guy named Unger. (yes, they'd still have to add Unger somehow)

That way, I could describe a player's vale as "Over Unger, but under Dunn"....B)

Dunn done &^@#ed up again. 

Looking at Virtanen’s 2014 draft...

Quite an amount of talk has gone on in here regarding many of those players:

6th Virtanen

7th Fleury

10th Ritchie

14th Honka

19th DeAngelo

24th McCann

25th Pastrnak

27th Goldobin

28th Ho-Sang

4 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

really hope they dont get rid of OJ, that would be stupid...unless were doing virtanen and OJ for Cal Foote please.

If Tampa were to deal Cal Foote, it would probably be for no other reason than the expansion draft.

So you'd probably have to give them someone/something exempt  - ie a 1st round pick.

And still, because they're in a  window - they also probably aren't going to want to weaken their roster, so they'd probably want an affordable roster player?

Hamonic and a 1st?  :ph34r:

Gaudette for Nick Paul.

Virtanen - we keep - simply because that skillset is bloody difficult to find/acquire - and as patient as people here believe they've been, they don't really know patience imo.  I'm not ready to sell low on Virtanen - and most people here tend to assume the return would be low - so what is the point?  He's a better risk than selling low for a longshot asset, or poor fit.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I didn't mention Bennett because he was already gone by the time the Canucks drafted. (Otherwise I'd be lamenting the Draisatl pick B))

Ehlers and Nylander seem to be the tow guys drafted after Virt that you could make an argument for, but after watching Tuch manhandle our D in the playoffs, I'd take him over any them right now.

Not knocking you, but there's some guy named Pastrnak, who was chosen next pick after McCann. Later rounds, there was Point. The reality is, it's hit and miss. We've actually been extremely fortunate the last six years with our drafting. Not perfect, but much better than most.