The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The song has been played at the end of countless graduation, retirement, and other ceremonies, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the song choice. As braindead as Bell is, it's still hard to believe they purposely picked a song called Good Riddance to be malicious. It's realistic that, like in most of these situations, the person in charge said something like "Let's go with that 'Time of Your Life' Green Day song" and the person at the controls put on the song.

I don't think they were being mean, I think they were being lazy.

Gonna just disagree with you there. This was a corporate decision to eliminate an entire station (along with others). Not a graduation lol.

Why did they pick any song? Why not dead air? Why not some jazz?  I think you are missing the message here.

2 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Ah crap...I have Bell tv and am in the process of trying to figure out Telus Optiks or Shaw... who is best , better PVR etc

any opinions appreciated 

been with Bell for a decade , they started off great but have gone downhill

looks like I’m gonna have fun when I decide who to go with and attempt to cancel :(

I am having withdrawals of no 1040 listened a lot 

hate Bell for taking it away from us 

oh ... give the damned gov’t money back ,wow

I would go with shaw myself, never had an issue with them. Ive had several issues with telus over the years plus they fired me from a cell phone sales job so im a little biased against them

Edited by Hamhuis Hip Check
  • Cheers 3

21 hours ago, Wilbur said:

For me, when drawing parallels between the two stations, the morning show is where 1040 had a huge edge over 650 and where I'll miss 1040 the most.

Same I listened with my morning coffee and on the treadmill 

Rintoul is knowledgeable but lacks humour etc, too businesslike for me , I enjoyed the goofing around 

my mornings are not the same :(

Edited by nucksnavsfan

6 minutes ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Rintoul is knowledgeable but lacks humour etc, too businesslike for me , I enjoyed the goofing around 

This morning, still, I reach over to my clock radio, and punch on 1040.  A morning ritual. Some eighties one hit wonder song is playing.  Whaaaaa?  Oh yeah, then my brain fully wakes up and I remember.  No more waking up to Halford and Brough. I switch it over to 650.  Ahg. I can't stand their morning zoo. Nothing worth listening to until Rintoul at 9. But I still prefer H & B.

I hope Bell pays in some way for this. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Gonna just disagree with you there. This was a corporate decision to eliminate an entire station (along with others). Not a graduation lol.

Why did they pick any song? Why not dead air? Why not some jazz?  I think you are missing the message here.

I began typing a reply with additional reasons why I think it was just a braindead move by Bell and not malicious, but then I backspaced it all and wondered why the hell am I wasting precious braincells giving Bell the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Man I'll miss Don Taylor. 

I grew up in Haida Gwaii in the 90s. Didn't have cable. I'd sit in my room listening to CKNW on my Dad's radio. I'd spend half the game fiddling with the antenna.... and then the post-game show. I can still hear it. Don Taylor made me howl. I'd lay in bed throwing a baseball up and down trying to get it as close to the ceiling without actually hitting it. When games were really intense I'd whip a tennis ball against the wall and try to catch it like I was Bob Essensa/Felix Potvin (yeah, the goalie graveyard was a thing back then). I wanted so badly to be part of the team that I "punished" myself for losses. Every goal against with 20 situps and 10 pushups. A loss was an extra 50 and 25. Getting shutout was another 50 and 25. 

Radio will always be special to me because as a kid it was all I had to connect to the Canucks (except when my grandparents would send me VHS tapes of a game that happened like a month ago and I would watch it 10 times). 

Sucks to see hardworking people let go. I think I disagreed with guys on 1040 far more than I agreed with them, but I would always listen to 1040 over 650 because I felt that at least these people were passionate and their rants were either entertaining or at least somewhat thought-out (even if I disagreed with it I could understand why they felt that way). 

Listening to 650 is like drinking water. It goes down, you digest it, but you don't really taste it. Hopefully that changes. 

I agreed 100%. I listened to 650 on my commute yesterday, made no mistake the hosts are great, but it kinda missing that dynamic between the 1040 hosts used to have. May be it was the first time I am listening to the show...

1 hour ago, nucksnavsfan said:

The thing about the 1040 hosts is that they would bring in the entertainment value into their show while talking sports. Occasionally I would laugh at their jokes while listening in my commute.

The young talents at 650 should learn a thing or two about that.

• Cheers 1

I miss most of those 1040 radio personalities.   After the game, I went to 1040 to listen to the Post-Game and it's not there.  It's disappointing, especially how the cuts were made.  I'm really going to miss Ferraro's and Rick Dhaliwal's clips.  I'll miss Donnie and the Moj too.  

I wish the TSN 1040 sports staff all the best.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Other than Toronto, Vancouver 1040 has strongest numbers!

Baffling, makes no sense

spacer.png

I read somewhere (forget where) that somewhat conveniently it looks like Bell and Rodgers have some type of back-room deal to split the sports markets because following the closures there is very little overlap in terms of coverage in any major Canadian city outside of Toronto.

The less "tin foil" reason/theory is that TSN 1040 had an insanely high overhead due to the hosts/talent being paid way more than other markets.

Edited by TheCustodian