The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, rychicken said:

Both are a hard pass for me. 

I miss Barry Macdonald.... he was professional, on point, fun and intelligent. 

There is nobody in better in sports broadcasting then Don Taylor IMO

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

CKNW aired every Canucks game on radio from their inaugural season in 1970 to 2006, before losing the rights to Team 1040. Rogers-owned Sportsnet 650 has held the Canucks radio rights since 2017, but that deal is set to expire at the end of the 2021-22 season.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cknw-serious-look-canucks-radio-rights?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

CKNW aired every Canucks game on radio from their inaugural season in 1970 to 2006, before losing the rights to Team 1040. Rogers-owned Sportsnet 650 has held the Canucks radio rights since 2017, but that deal is set to expire at the end of the 2021-22 season.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cknw-serious-look-canucks-radio-rights?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

So what? They are all conglomerates. It's not like NW is independent, or locally owned. It's owned by Corus. 

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Man, what I would give to turn back the clock and listen to Robson and Larscheid on the radio calling out names like Bure, Linden, McLean, Courtnall, Ronning, Adams, Lumme, Odjick..... the list goes on.... lost count the number of times I brought my walkman to restaurants to listen during dinner...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Frustrating. 1040 worked so well. 

I disagree... Certain hosts weren't moderate or professional in their opinions and it seeped through there commentary.  I don't want homers either, but when there's a constant cynical, apathetic undertone relayed hour after hour, day after day, re-enforced by fans that attach to those themes and that energy.  No wonder why there has been a reputation that Vancouver has a toxic media and fanbase.  There needs to be balance.  Since TSN 1040 has been gone, I've noticed a little bit of a reprieve.  Like the collective whole has a moment to just look at what's in front if them, rather than a constant barrage or focus on all the negative aspects of the managements moves or lack there of (past, present, and future). 

What's really sad is, right now, RIGHT NOW, this team is shaping up to be one if the best teams in franchise history and yet many here ignore this and focus  (100+ pages) talking about signing Poolman, a player we haven't even seen play in our colors.... This is no coincidence folks...

I for one appreciate this reprieve from constant negativity.  Taking a deep breath and getting excited to watch what will be a GREAT year from my favorite team.  

I believe those that miss the tsn 1040 (excluding Donny Taylor) are people that are glass half full or are somewhat cynical by nature.  Do I like 650?... No not really.  A little to amateurish and vanilla.  As a result, I don't listen to it much but if I do, at least it isn't negative.  Truth be told, there are other good sources on line that I can get quality canuck news, with a measured enjoyable approach.  I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to radio... Kinda over having to listen to all the ads.  Info can be had just as fast in other mediums.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz

I still want Bell to pay for their idiotic decision to close down 1040.  I will boycott and let them know why, every time I can.  How's that comedy format going, with back to back out-of-context snippets of performances from the 80's?  Complete with canned laughter tracks.

I don't miss Sekeres and Price, per say, but I do miss the dynamic between all the shows. (Okay it was mainly Brough vs. Sekeres) Their new Saturday afternoon Canuck hockey show was a welcome new addition too. The fact that they blew out of the water the biggest ratings vs. 650  despite losing the Canuck broadcast rights to them, even years later, was telling. 

That and that they used taxpayer COVID relief "wage-subsidy" to reward their CEO's, executives, and shareholders with it instead of paying the wages, and keeping employed, not only the 'stars', who will be fine with podcasts, but all the folks who worked behind the scenes at 1040.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/02/08/top-telecoms-took-in-almost-a-quarter-billion-dollars-from-canadas-wage-subsidy-program-and-kept-paying-dividends.html?utm_source=vancouver is awesome&utm_campaign=vancouver is awesome&utm_medium=referral

"Rogers, Bell and Telus collected more than $240 million from Canada’s wage-subsidy program — and Bell and Telus raised shareholder payouts"

One of the most arrogant, greedy, elitist moves by a corporation ever in Canada.

• Cheers 1

I hope 650 retains the rights and sticks around, it's nice having an all sports radio station.

As far as 1040 I think it going under has worked out great for Halford & Brough - now they get Canucks guests more often - and Taylor/Dhaliwal.

Feels like the most invigorated Donnie has been in years, their show is fantastic. So much better than what they were doing at 1040.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Imagine the comments if we returned to a Dan Russell style post-game show! 

Would be absolutely fine by me; as long as it is the Sports Talk Show that was on air prior to the NHL going 4 on 4 for overtime.

Just about that time his whole show and atitude definately jumped the shark.

Should mention that to me, it was also Rick Dahliwahl's peak.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I disagree... Certain hosts weren't moderate or professional in their opinions and it seeped through there commentary.  I don't want homers either, but when there's a constant cynical, apathetic undertone relayed hour after hour, day after day, re-enforced by fans that attach to those themes and that energy.  No wonder why there has been a reputation that Vancouver has a toxic media and fanbase.  There needs to be balance.  Since TSN 1040 has been gone, I've noticed a little bit of a reprieve.  Like the collective whole has a moment to just look at what's in front if them, rather than a constant barrage or focus on all the negative aspects of the managements moves or lack there of (past, present, and future). 

What's really sad is, right now, RIGHT NOW, this team is shaping up to be one if the best teams in franchise history and yet many here ignore this and focus  (100+ pages) talking about signing Poolman, a player we haven't even seen play in our colors.... This is no coincidence folks...

I for one appreciate this reprieve from constant negativity.  Taking a deep breath and getting excited to watch what will be a GREAT year from my favorite team.  

I believe those that miss the tsn 1040 (excluding Donny Taylor) are people that are glass half full or are somewhat cynical by nature.  Do I like 650?... No not really.  A little to amateurish and vanilla.  As a result, I don't listen to it much but if I do, at least it isn't negative.  Truth be told, there are other good sources on line that I can get quality canuck news, with a measured enjoyable approach.  I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to radio... Kinda over having to listen to all the ads.  Info can be had just as fast in other mediums.  

Its funny how people perceive that 1040 was "constant negativity"  and 650 is the opposite.  I heard and still hear criticism and questioning of Canuck management on both stations. Satiar, a popular host, has been one of the most prolific in criticism during his whole stint on 650. 

Here's a thought, maybe the Canucks deserved to be criticized during all the years before they lucked out with the Pettersson pick.  Maybe inking deals with the "final pieces" like Eriksson, Gagner, Gudbransen, and others, by shedding picks and prospects, while still landing on the bottom of the standings each season was kinda inviting criticism?  Call me cynical, but it seems to me that if you want to call yourself a journalist, sports or not, it would have been a dereliction of duty and professionalism to ignore paying attention to how a local team is managed, and questioning decisions if they don't work out, and just acting as a cheerleader.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Would be absolutely fine by me; as long as it is the Sports Talk Show that was on air prior to the NHL going 4 on 4 for overtime.

Just about that time his whole show and atitude definately jumped the shark.

I enjoyed his show!  I don't think he would be well received by fans now however.

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Its funny how people perceive that 1040 was "constant negativity"  and 650 is the opposite.  I heard and still hear criticism and questioning of Canuck management on both stations. Satiar, a popular host, has been one of the most prolific in criticism during his whole stint on 650. 

Here's a thought, maybe the Canucks deserved to be criticized during all the years before they lucked out with the Pettersson pick.  Maybe inking deals with the "final pieces" like Eriksson, Gagner, Gudbransen, and others, by shedding picks and prospects, while still landing on the bottom of the standings each season was kinda inviting criticism?  Call me cynical, but it seems to me that if you want to call yourself a journalist, sports or not, it would have been a dereliction of duty and professionalism to ignore paying attention to how a local team is managed, and questioning decisions if they don't work out, and just acting as a cheerleader.

And 1040 doesn’t exist anymore, right?  Fans want to be fans, and not listen to their loved club being overly criticized all day long.  

650, if they get too negative, will lose their fan listeners too, especially if they lose Canuck rights.  

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I enjoyed his show!  I don't think he would be well received by fans now however.

Happy, upbeat Dan would work out fine; bitter, disallusioned Dan, not so much.

Epic shows on Wed. nights with Burke, and a big shout out to Rocket Rod Beaton, who was simply the BEST baseball reporter I've ever heard.

The man knew everything and everyone in baseball from highschool upto the pros. Amazing guy, who had a health issue and was off air for a bit, the cameback but passed away just after that.- Quick google search says he had Parkinsons, and Lew Body Dementia.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And 1040 doesn’t exist anymore, right?  Fans want to be fans, and not listen to their loved club being overly criticized all day long.  

650, if they get too negative, will lose their fan listeners too, especially if they lose Canuck rights.  

Meh,  Its totally subjective this perception on if a station is "overly criticized all day long" towards the Canucks.   I didn't perceive 1040 that way at all.  They actually helped to air and reflect my own feelings on how the team was being managed in the initial Benning years.  Not all hosts are going to be perfect either.  Sekeres I found was the worst at stirring up the controversy, and making a mountain out of a mole hill.  But 650 has its own chicken little moments, and "negative" hosts at certain times as well.

The worst of it for me was a loss of having two dedicated local sports stations.  Selfishly, it was great to be able to flip stations if one of them was droning on about some sporting event, like March Madness, that I had no interest in. 

Also, fans chose 1040... based on ratings.  So maybe fans DID want to listen to whatever 1040 brought, however negative some here want to remember them as being.  I see that Donnie and Dhali are quite popular still. And Halford and Brough were snapped up quite quickly by 650.

Edited by kilgore

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Meh,  Its totally subjective this perception on if a station is "overly criticized all day long".   I didn't perceive 1040 that way at all.  They actually helped to air and reflect my own feelings on how the team was being managed in the initial Benning years.  Not all hosts are going to be perfect either.  Sekeres I found was the worst at stirring up the controversy, and making a mountain out of a mole hill.  But 650 has its own chicken little moments, and "negative" hosts at certain times as well.

The worst of it for me was a loss of having two dedicated local sports stations.  Selfishly, it was great to be able to flip stations if one of them was droning on about some sporting event, like March Madness, that I had no interest in. 

Also, fans chose 1040... based on ratings.  So maybe fans DID want to listen to whatever 1040 brought, however negative some here want to remember them as being.  I see that Donnie and Dhali are quite popular still. And Halford and Brough were snapped up quite quickly by 650.

image.gif.fea8774b563f750a8cdf113e4c51218e.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Obviously you didn't get the gist of my post.  I'm definitely not a journalist therefore not a great writer, so as a result I can see why you may have perceived my post as a only seeing the positives and being a cheerleader.  However, my intent is kinda a microcosm of your post.  Right away you call the Pettersson pick a lucky one.... So that tells me you're not balanced in your view point either.  Benning is a middle of the pack GM overall and deserves some criticism for sure, but it's pure insanity when posters like you call Pettersson a lucky pick, rather than giving credit where credit is due.  What's wrong with giving criticism and praise for the same organization?  I mean is that like a bad thing?  All has to be black and white? 

As for the 650 vs 1040.  It's about the underlying energy that permeates from the station as a whole.  Where is Sekeres and Price?  Where are most of the 1040 hosts besides Donny and Dhali?  They're out of a gig because ultimately they leaned to far to the side of cynicism and that just isn't sustainable for long lasting radio personalities. 

So agree to disagree....

I'll tell you what though... I'll be having a lot more fun  enjoying this awesome team kick some ass team season while you choose to die on your hill screaming "but... But Gudbranson!!!!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

That last part is exacctly how 650 operates.  They are a station for "Millenials" who don't believe in critisism or reality. as they rarely call things the way they are and sugar coat the poor performance by the canucks and live in a make believe world - afraid to confront the failures this management team and the team itself has bestowed upon the good people of Vancouver for over 7 years now........ and counting.

At least the older - wiser - more experienced guys like Donnie & Dhali are still around with their new show to bring people back down to reality and call things the way they are - not being afraid to offend anyone by asking tough - realistic questions and not letting everything slip under the rug to be politically correct.

When I see how sports radio has gone in the city with a bunch of Millenials pretending to be journalist and spew incomplete information to the unsuspecting "Participation-Trophy" generation" I pity what the future holds for them.  Being in denial, afarid to confront and offend where justified, does not hold well for the future for the "Zombie" generation.  You see this type of Millenial pandering in the workplace now with some employers alowing that generation to play ping-pong and  text all day long, instead of actually working and earning their money by putting in a good days work.   OMG, are they going to be in trouble..... 

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That last part is exacctly how 650 operates.  They are a station for "Millenials" who don't believe in critisism or reality. as they rarely call things the way they are and sugar coat the poor performance by the canucks and live in a make believe world - afraid to confront the failures this management team and the team itself has bestowed upon the good people of Vancouver for over 7 years now........ and counting.

At least the older - wiser - more experienced guys like Donnie & Dhali are still around with their new show to bring people back down to reality and call things the way they are - not being afraid to offend anyone by asking tough - realistic questions and not letting everything slip under the rug to be politically correct.

When I see how sports radio has gone in the city with a bunch of Millenials pretending to be journalist and spew incomplete information to the unsuspecting "Participation-Trophy" generation" I pity what the future holds for them.  Being in denial, afarid to confront and offend where justified, does not hold well for the future for the "Zombie" generation.  You see this type of Millenial pandering in the workplace now with some employers alowing that generation to play ping-pong and  text all day long, instead of actually working and earning their money by putting in a good days work.   OMG, are they going to be in trouble..... 

Man you couldn't have said it better!!!!. Most come from youth and school progammes to believe that is the way the world works. It's tiresome and takes year of dedication and thick skin to bring them back to reality, some never make it sorry to say and end up at Strathcona Park. The PC movement I want to believe meant well but completely removed it's self from reality and has lead the unwitting in the West down a dangerous slope, it's easy for countries like China over take us. Apparently authoritarianism is the only solution, I hope not. The good part is if youngsters are hard workers, heck fill your boot the field is open for success

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1