The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Coda said:

What possible rationale can be behind this then?  Bell is alienating most of the hardcore sports fans in the lower mainland with this move.  

Talk radio is on the way out. Everyone listens to podcasts now. 

Their thinking is probably: why pay a bunch of radio personalities when you can just play a bunch of prerecorded content from Toronto?

You might not agree with it but that’s the way things are trending. Bell is just getting ahead of it.

What I don’t agree with is the way they treated long time employees. That is not the way to do business and I hope they receive a bunch of backlash because of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Coda said:

What possible rationale can be behind this then?  Bell is alienating most of the hardcore sports fans in the lower mainland with this move.  

The industry itself is dying and big corporations want to get out asap.

1040 had 250000 listeners daily and 80% of the sports radio market share.

They also added personalities and shows over the past year. They definitely were doing fine financially

This is a greed move that accelerates the timeline of where they forecast the industry going. They’d rather allocate resources elsewhere 

This sucks.  I liked/disliked many 1040 hosts over the years, but they were always my go to station for sports talk.  650 just isn't good.  Even their Canucks broadcasts are cringy.  

Horrible when this many people lose their jobs.  Even harder when there is an emotional connection.

12 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I haven't paid attention to sportstalk radio for quite a few years now. How long has BMac been off the air? Anybody know what he's been doing?

About 5 years? He was having  mental health challenges (which he has talked about on-air, and his colleagues have mentioned).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Bell:

Shuts down radio stations

Bell:

We  were right radio has died.

Podcasts.

They’re free and so widely available. I think most radio stations around North America see the writing on the wall. Not too different than what happened to the print industry.

1 minute ago, rychicken said:

About 5 years? He was having  mental health challenges (which he has talked about on-air, and his colleagues have mentioned).

I remember the talk about his depression ... which was interesting because it in no way played out in his job. I liked the guy, thought he was always relatable. Stuff happens, I guess. 

The details of this plug-pulling seem to be pretty heartless. But isn't that what large, fluid corporations often are?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Podcasts.

They’re free and so widely available. I think most radio stations around North America see the writing on the wall. Not too different than what happened to the print industry.

Radio is free too.

And almost all the radio stations have podcasts of their programs as well.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

But the content is not as good or wide ranging.

Plus it’s not “free”, you gotta listen to ads.

Podcast are full of adds too. 

Yes you can fast forward most of them, but you could change a radio station pretty easily too.

Just now, gurn said:

Podcast are full of adds too. 

Yes you can fast forward most of them, but you could change a radio station pretty easily too.

Every one I listen to have ads in the beginning that you can easily fast forward and then listen to uninterrupted.

Why would you wanna flip around stations constantly until you find something good?

Ill miss the old days of sports talk radio, but I can see the way things are trending.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

Not just them as I’m sure phone calls are being made to some of them to come to 650

meaning 650 staff are probably squirming 

the trickle down effect

If any good can come out of this hopefully one good station can be made with bringing over the good talent from 1040 and eliminating the garbage talent @ 650

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Lol then Julio was like that gotta feel good for him

Very quick witted of Julio.

Add Julio to the list of the fallen.

Julio's  story of his  familytrip across the  American border was a classic.

" Hey Momma, fix that man a sandwich"

• Haha 1