The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this THAT bad?...really...

Rate this topic

Call me crazy, but I am curious what this team looks like when they aren't playing their 3rd in 4 days or 4th in 6 or 5th in 7, and can practice more than once every two weeks. I think there is an outside chance it could improve their form.  The problem is, with a short season they really need to get it going now if they want to get back in the playoff picture without having to go on an extreme heater at some point. The good news is they are relatively healthy.

• Hydration 1
41 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Canucks need a gm coach and roster changes. This current roster lacks the motor, we need more players that actually move their feet their always once step behind the opponent. We need more players like Hoglander, hope Podz is the same.

You can't fault half the roster atleast.

Living away from your family, isolated, expected to perform at 90 percent working as much as they do. Sad to say but the biggest take away from this season is how selfish fans are.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Freeridebc said:

You can't fault half the roster atleast.

Living away from your family, isolated, expected to perform at 90 percent working as much as they do. Sad to say but the biggest take away from this season is how selfish fans are.

Canucks arent the only one living away so are the other teams

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I still think that if we replace Baumer with literally anyone, the defense will improve.  A lot of the issues are caused by our defensive system being a steaming pile of garbage.  Firing the unqualified idiot responsible for this group is the first step necessary.  Firing Green is a positive move too now that he's decided to allow Eriksson to disgrace our jersey once again, and Brown's idea of a power play is sticking a fork into the wall socket.

Replace Baumer with Bieksa 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ImConfused said:

I love posts like these.

Things could always be worse!

That said, I heard Dan Cloutier is out of retirement, and looking for a Goaltender position in the NHL - should we sign him up?

Nah, he's been supplanted by Alex Auld 

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, The Lock said:

This season is just evidence at how impatient people are. I keep hearing "well when is the right time to complain if not now?" My answer to that is give it at least a couple of years from now. We need to develop and grow as a team. Losing like this, there's a good chance it'll strengthen us for later on. If anyone seriously thinks nothing but negative about this team right now, they really need to sit down and question it,

In fact, I'll tell you what. If we're still playing like this in 2 years, I'll jump on that bandwagon of "we didn't do enough". However, we need to actually be playing as bad as we are now for a looooong period of time.

if we play this bad for 2 whole seasons

that would be record breaking

I don't think the Islanders, Seals, Capitals or KC/Devils played thius bad for 2 years

I mean if they postpone the draft that gives our scouts another season to be certain they are getting it right. So having a high pick would be great.

If not I feel like a lot of teams are going to hit the jackpot later in the draft. Hopefully JB can amass some bulk late picks. 

I feel like Tanner at 50% should be worth a late 1st or a late 2nd +. 

Sutter at 50% you have to be able to recoup a 3rd or 4th

Jake for Bennett or a 5/6 Defensive D

I don't wanna give up on Gaudette yet though I think he needs to be converted to the wing.  JT Miller probably doesn't need to baby sit Pete anymore IMO he could take his rightful place as our 3C

2010-11 Avalanche to 2016-17. The Av's were in 1 playoff round. 

Despite one of the best records in the NHL at 55 wins, and 22 loses, they still lost in the first round in 2013-14.

I don't think all is lost. 

We've got good pieces. We just need better ones going forward. I don't want a team of Justin Bailey's.

But we need more players like him. Cheap role-players that will play hard every shift. 

I think the bigger question is what do we do with our pending UFA's?

Do we only keep players if they are willing to take cheap 1-2 year deals? 

Or do we let players like Pearson/Sutter/Edler walk?

If this team has a problem its pro scouting existing players in the NHL. 

We seem to focus way too much on signing expensive vets that don't pan out. 

I get we don't want to be like Edmonton feeding our young players to the wolves. 

But our pro scouting seems to be more miss than hit.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

i can let this season slip and benefit for a high pick before all the mecanisms start clicking. 

But...

my concern is Miller. keep an eye on him. He's a ppg producer, a competiter and seems to be so upset with the team.

I don't want him to make a statement about a hypothetical wish to be traded. If we lose him we'll make a couple of huge steps back.

Every team goes through a cycle of being good and being very bad. 

Many of us  thought we were past that point in our cycle but for whatever reason(S) weak coaching, systems employed, lack of practice time, too many games in a short time, new players, weak coaching, Dip in goaltending performance, poorer défense  etc etc is all adding up to give us this product on the ice. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe it’s no one persons fault the shortened season is just exposing our weaknesses and making them more pronounced. These guys have little room to breath right now, but hope they get their mojo back in time. 

7 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

The more I've been watching, cursing, throwing things... it got me thinking...

Man, there is a light at the end of this tunnel, and it's bright as eff word.

Never in history have we played this many games, in such a short time.

So here is my take. 

Next year we will see Toffolli twice? Next.

Hoglander looks legit.

Oli looks like he can serve a purpose.

JV is def done. And our Big Russian looks like he's ready to break our top 6.

Would a high pick hurt us? No.

There's a clear picture of who everyone is and who is expendable.

Let's wash this season up to what it is. A freak show. We all watched to watch the 'nucks win. 

But its not the end. 

If that is how you watch games, you need help.

Toffoli lit us up because he knows our systems because they have not changed. 

JV is not done. I think he needs to get away from Green. Posted reasons in other threads.

I really like Pod and his style of play but we shall see how he does over here when he gets here.

I do not like defeatist attitudes. So, a high pick will hurt as it produces an Its ok to lose attitude. I do not want to be the Oilers.

11 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Lol 2 years are you crazy? Look we made playoffs only last year. The time to complain is now

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

I hope you're not serious...

It's funny how social media has given people the tools to look and feel like they're in a position of power yet they're too young to even understand what they're talking about. Ah the internet, it's a beautiful place.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Hydration 1

Hockey without fans is uninspiring anyways. I say whatever happens this year who cares. As long as we’re stuck with LE’s contract we’re kinda effed anyways. If we can steal another prospect or two in the draft that would be a great reward for this bunk ass year. 

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Definitely not the end.  They could even turn things around if they got hot.  If anything it's a good way to purge and sell off any peaked assets and consolidate the roster and figure out what we have to work with going forward.  Next season probably looks something like

Miller - Petey - Brock (don't fix what's not broken)
_____ - Bo - Hoglander (if TP doesn't come back this duo can still carry things)
Roussel - _______ - Podkolzin? (presuming AG, JV and BS are all gone, they could maybe sign a center to help the 3rd line gel) 
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen (not a terrible 4th line if TM and ZM keep developing, the wingers can help drive play)

_______ - Schmidt (Edler's probably done, unless he takes a big reduction in price and role)
Hughes - Myers* (that's unless TM gets picked by Seattle; or bring back Benn?)
Juolevi - Chatfield (maybe not as a pairing but there's good pieces to work with here)
(Hopefully Hamonic can return, this blueline will need help)

Demko (he'll need help if Holtby goes in ED)

Benning hasn’t shown much for good trading, plus what assets do we have that are expendable and have value?

Benning is in no position of power to be making trades with the vultures that are circling overhead

Edited by chilliwiggins
13 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

The more I've been watching, cursing, throwing things... it got me thinking...

Man, there is a light at the end of this tunnel, and it's bright as eff word.

Never in history have we played this many games, in such a short time.

So here is my take. 

Next year we will see Toffolli twice? Next.

Hoglander looks legit.

Oli looks like he can serve a purpose.

JV is def done. And our Big Russian looks like he's ready to break our top 6.

Would a high pick hurt us? No.

There's a clear picture of who everyone is and who is expendable.

Let's wash this season up to what it is. A freak show. We all watched to watch the 'nucks win. 

But its not the end. 

Is it that bad, really, that another thread had to be started to advise people not to be doom and gloom

the answer is yes, it is really THAT bad that another thread had to be started....

What I think is indicative of the team's biggest problem is the shear amount of shots we give up, almost every game. This is not a one year trend. Last 3 years are getting worse. This year, we are the worst in the league at 34.7 shots against per game. Last year, 33.3 (4th worst), year before that 31.7 (middle of the pack) (Stats from TSN). The defense is getting looser, and we no longer have Markie back there to bail us out. I thought (and its in this forum) that Holtby would be a good replacement and Clark's coaching would get him back to where he was. So far, this is far from happening. 

Second biggest is coaching. Something is definitely wrong with the team. I know the schedule has been BRUTAL (!), but even when the guys have had a day between games, they've come out flat. Really flat. They are giving all the appearance of an ill-prepared team, not coached up on the other team's tendencies and no changes to their own, leaving them to be very predictable. 

Something has to give. We have some really good players, especially top two lines and Hughes. Too good to be beaten this bad, repeatedly. I hope this time off will give them a chance to recharge a little and reflect on the errors.