The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Career Goals - What are yours?

Mainly Mattias

I am luckily employed during this difficult time. Have been doing the same thing at work for the past few years and am not quite sure where to point myself anymore, in terms of goal setting.

Happy to hear from you people as to what your goals are to see if it would spark some sort of epiphany in me. Thanks in advance for anything shared, including advice, tools, recommendations, stories, etc..

Have tried to do a brain dump of things I want to do and there really isn't anything there to work with. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd love to become a teacher or instructor at some point because I've enjoyed teaching/tutoring so much in the times I've gotten a chance to do so. My goal now is to become an accounting instructor, but the education and experience requirements make it seem so unbelievably far away. It's more a long-term goal really that I'll keep in mind if things go that way. Being an accountant is fine and all, but teaching is more something I'm actually passionate about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll have my social services diploma by June, I've applied to continue and do a bachelors of social work so we'll see what happens there. So I suppose my career goals entail working in social work in some capacity? 

Not entirely sure what I'd like to do, but I lean towards the idea of working with youth and young adults. 

I've pondered the idea of a masters and getting into counselling in some capacity if I muddle my way through a bachelors, but that seems a long ways away. 

Way I see it is that the years are gonna fly by regardless of what I do with em, I may as well try and do something productive with em while I'm reasonably young. We only have so much time, and while there's inherently pressure to be productive sometimes you've just gotta roll the dice. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

my goals are in my rear view mirror now but after years of working different jobs, i realized what i was really meant to do with my life. i think it started from coaching little league baseball and my love of writing. i once thought if i could write stories and teach kids baseball i would be most happy.

first my son and i shared a sports column in our local paper. not a paying situation but fulfilling.

then i got a job working with developmentally challenged adults. i taught them to play sports like floor hockey and baseball.

then i got a job helping young offenders change their lives

then i got a job as a companion to seniors in a nursing home

i believe my purpose  in live was to walk alone side others, teaching, guiding and making their lives a little fuller. 

i got to do what i really enjoyed and got paid for it. i still like writing as some of you can remember. 

i feel fulfilled. good luck to everyone.

Now that is some good advice, Joe. Have you ever met anyone whom you helped later on in life? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now that is some good advice, Joe. Have you ever met anyone whom you helped later on in life? 

i don't kniw, but i helped people before my health went south. 2017 was my heart operation, and since then a series of health failings. i've been a slouch ever since. main thing is i found my calling and lived and worked at jobs i loved and felt fulfilled with. what else could a person want?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1