The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators interested in Adam Gaudette

19 hours ago, gurn said:

Has Benning made a trade this season?

No, well I guess he is not desperate then. When a lot of people thought J.B. was going to be desperate to " do something" to immediately help the team, he drafted Podkolzin, a guy he knew wouldn't be playing for a couple of years.

imo, J.B. doesn't panic, and will not make a deal, just to save his job.

Well, Myers  was an act of desperation, ”we must have bigger defenceplayers”. Especially since he got rid of both Stecher and Tanev later for similar money.

A typical desperate move that hunts the cap space later.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Myers  was an act of desperation, ”we must have bigger defenceplayers”. Especially since he got rid of both Stecher and Tanev later for similar money.

How's Tanev and Stecher doing? 

MYERS- Signed for less AAV and term to sign with Vancouver. 

Stecher and Tanev are terrible comparisons.

Go ahead, get Dunn and Deangelo and watch the magical d zone play.

Hughes Deangelo

Schmidt Dunn

Edler Hamonic

Benn OJ

THAT'S ONE AMAZING D CORE, DYNASTY INCOMING!!!

:towel:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Refresh my memory, in what decade didJ.B. trade for Myers. And in what decade did Stecher and Tanev leave?

And if free agents go to different teams as free agents, it is not the current team g.m "getting rid" of them.

your post is a typical desperate move to wrongly discredit a g.m.

• Cheers 3

When Gaudette actually gets to play he hasn't done too poorly. He has not hit 12 minutes this year but when he has hit the 11 minute mark in the 3 games he has 2 goals and another game where he had 5 shots. You can't expect him to produce offence getting 6 or 7 minutes per night on the 4th line. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Drop Em said:

Pretty good? Yeah ok. Their defense sucks, both on paper and on the ice.

Care to show your work on this one instead of making a statement with zero reasoning to back it up? I'm not arguing on ice our team has been good, it has been in shambles defensively. That goes for the D core and our forwards. But on paper our D core by no means sucks.

Any any average NHL team

Hughes- top 1A defenseman

Schmidt-top pairing D

Edler- top 4

Myers- top 4

Juolevi- bottom pair

Benn- bottom pair/extra

Harmonic- bottom pair

We have each positional need filled in the D core. On paper it isn't a top 5 or even top 10 D core in the league by any means, but I'd like to hear your reasoning to why "they suck on paper".

Edited by shayster007

25 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

When Gaudette actually gets to play he hasn't done too poorly. He has not hit 12 minutes this year but when he has hit the 11 minute mark in the 3 games he has 2 goals and another game where he had 5 shots. You can't expect him to produce offence getting 6 or 7 minutes per night on the 4th line. 

His offensive production isn't the issue.

13 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Nuh-uh.

Hughes is a bust now because he's a minus.

Schmidt was overrated playing for a good team.

Edler is a boomer.

Myers is the worst defenseman in the league because he's paid too much and since Benning signed him he's therefore bad.

JuoLeVi cOuLd hAvE bEEn TkAcHUk.

Benn is only signed because he's a local boy.

Hamonic is not Tanev.

Worst defense in the league, possibly ever.

You... my friend... should be replacing Bob McKenzie.

• Haha 1

If we trade the Hobey Baker award winning Adam the hockey ‘Gaud’ ette.... when he is one of the few showing flashes of greatness.... kids still young why would we give up on him?! For what reason, to make the playoffs? Growing pains are thing and learn to deal with it fans. 

Send him and Jake to Boston, yeah ok. Do we want Neely 2.0 situation? Come on JB don’t you dare move either!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quinn12 said:

If we trade the Hobey Baker award winning Adam the hockey ‘Gaud’ ette.... when he is one of the few showing flashes of greatness.... kids still young why would we give up on him?! For what reason, to make the playoffs? Growing pains are thing and learn to deal with it fans. 

Send him and Jake to Boston, yeah ok. Do we want Neely 2.0 situation? Come on JB don’t you dare move either!

flashes of greatness are all well and good.

but you don't win with flashes - it starts with a steady effort and attention without the puck.

In 12 games playing less than 10 minutes (including a minute and a half on the powerplay, he is second worst on the team at -8.

1.2 on ice goals for, 3.7 against.   And it's not simply a small sample where he has struggled - he's been getting beaten badly for 142 games now...

Regardless of that - he's a talented young player, he's only 24, he's going to get better.  He looked like he'd taken a step early this year, but he's flagged rather quickly.

However the real question is "where is Gaudette's path to remaining on this roster?"

He's not tracking as a capable NHL center, at least certainly not a 'bottom 6' center, or the kind of bottom 6 this team can utilize in the forseeable future.   As a RW conversion - he has no path to the top6 - he's not a good fit on Sutter's line with the kind of minutes Sutter plays - he's at the position of the most young depth in the franchise....

So you see if you can move him for a player at a position of greater need - but you only do so if the return makes sense/is reasonable.

It isn't reducible to 'giving up' on a player, or simply looking short term.  He's essentially a surplus young player - dealing him makes a lot of sense.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

If I'm not mistaken, the Preds have been interested in Gaudette for awhile now. I think the fact that other NHL teams want Gaudette is more of a reason to keep him. Sutter won't be back next year and Gaudette will be looked to more -- especially now that he's putting on weight after diagnosing his previously un-diagnosed stomach condition. I still believe in Gaudette, he's on a cheap contract, and I think he's still the 3C of the future.

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

flashes of greatness are all well and good.

but you don't win with flashes - it starts with a steady effort and attention without the puck.

In 12 games playing less than 10 minutes (including a minute and a half on the powerplay, he is second worst on the team at -8.

1.2 on ice goals for, 3.7 against.   And it's not simply a small sample where he has struggled - he's been getting beaten badly for 142 games now...

Regardless of that - he's a talented young player, he's only 24, he's going to get better.  He looked like he'd taken a step early this year, but he's flagged rather quickly.

However the real question is "where is Gaudette's path to remaining on this roster?"

He's not tracking as a capable NHL center, at least certainly not a 'bottom 6' center, or the kind of bottom 6 this team can utilize in the forseeable future.   As a RW conversion - he has no path to the top6 - he's not a good fit on Sutter's line with the kind of minutes Sutter plays - he's at the position of the most young depth in the franchise....

So you see if you can move him for a player at a position of greater need - but you only do so if the return makes sense/is reasonable.

It isn't reducible to 'giving up' on a player, or simply looking short term.  He's essentially a surplus young player - dealing him makes a lot of sense.

my concern here is we haven't actually seen AG at his healthiest or best. From the reports it sounds like he's got a handle on his health issues, so I wonder what he'll be at 190 a year from now, vs. the clearly overmatched guy we've seen many nights. 

He's not in the untouchable category by any means and if there's a good hockey deal then sure, but I don't think we've seen the best from him yet. By comparison I do think we know what we have in Jake and have a much better idea of what Virtanen's ceiling is. I'm not sure we can say the same about AG.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my concern here is we haven't actually seen AG at his healthiest or best. From the reports it sounds like he's got a handle on his health issues, so I wonder what he'll be at 190 a year from now, vs. the clearly overmatched guy we've seen many nights. 

He's not in the untouchable category by any means and if there's a good hockey deal then sure, but I don't think we've seen the best from him yet. By comparison I do think we know what we have in Jake and have a much better idea of what Virtanen's ceiling is. I'm not sure we can say the same about AG.

well - it was candida -  but imo it has had very little to do with size, physicality, battle -  those aren't concerns regarding Gaudette (I think he plays 'big' enough for his size) - for me it's about reading the play, getting to the right areas of the ice, having the instincts of a defensive center....24 is still young, but at the same time, players that play 3C or bottom 6 C roles - tend to have a 'foundation' to their game.  I think Gaudette is either an ozone start, secondary scoring type center (which doesn't really fit with this team at this stage or the near future imo) or he's a winger conversion - and as a winger conversion, he has a tough path in Vancouver.  I only trade him if there's a comparable talent and slightly different type of player - at a different position.  He's an easy player to like - and the truth is that for long streches for this franchise he would have been their top prospect / best young player - but he's somewhat surrounded by a wealth of young forward talent.

I think the focus of the forward group has to shift to succession plans at middle six LW and possibly 3C - Pearson expiring, Rousel is someone I'd look to move and replace with a young forward...  really, with Motte, Virtanen, MacEwen, Bailey, Hawryluk, they have young 'bottom 6' wingers.

Edited by oldnews

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Nah it’s basically middle of the pack on paper. 

Agree to disagree I guess. The last couple of years they had a goalie that won them a lot of games that they shouldn't have won. And this year without having that, their ineffectiveness has shown even more. Maybe sucks on paper was a bit harsh.....putrid might have been a better choice of words.

2 hours ago, Quinn12 said:

Flashes of greatness , lol

21 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As far as a trade who would you target? Both pie in the sky trade, and a more realistic trade?

Considering how young and promising defenceman are basically impossible to acquire, I would target players that are a bit older.

Two players that I would be interested in are OEL and Adam Larsson.

Larsson is a UFA although who knows if he makes it there. If the Oilers are in the playoff hunt, they are unlikely to trade him in the season even if they can't re-sign him. 

If he does make it to the UFA market, then we might need to clear cap space, ideally Eriksson but Roussel is more feasible. Unless Gaudette surprises in the remaining 3/4 of the season, I would consider trading him to dump either Eriksson or Roussel in the offseason.

Larsson would replace Tanev on the pairing with Tanev.

OEL trade didn't go through and it might be responsible for losing Tanev (although that's a lame excuse). Arizona is in the playoff race so I doubt they would entertain the trade right now, so it's something that I would re-visit in the offseason. Don't know what the costs are going to be, but I'd assume that they would want our first rounder... that might be a price too steep to pay given our struggles this season. But if Arizona really can't afford his salaries, they might lower their price.

For now, we just have to ride it out and hopefully the players will figure it out.