The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators interested in Adam Gaudette

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Nonsense.

Centers that can handle 38% ozone starts, generate territory for your top 6 in the process, win 53.4% of their faceoffs, kill 3 minutes of penalties a game - and bring that high end shutdown 'foundation' are not easy to replace.  You are deluding yourself if you believe that's the case - there are typically about one player that hits the market any given summer with those kinds of credentials, and not necessarily who come with Sutter's ability to counterpunch (capable of scoring 20 goals in the process = those players are actually very rare).

If you believe Gaudette can/is ready to step into that roll - you haven't been paying attention.

The bottom six that people complain so much about around here - have 'dragged this team into the fight' this season - the've been the only consistent, hard working, performing element of this team thus far, aside from a few of the blueliners (ie particularly Edler).

Great post.

• Cheers 2

Not looking to trade Gaudette, but if I were I might be looking at someone like Scott Laughton. He's about the same size (maybe 10+ lbs heavier), but seems to play a fairly physical game, has reasonable points for what is a 3C(?), and has a pretty good faceoff percentage ( much better than Gaudette). I think this is someone after whom I'd like Gaudette to pattern his game.

I've only done a minor amount of research here, so please give me the low down on this guy beyond cap hit. I also expect that there would have to be a significant add by Vancouver.

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Not looking to trade Gaudette, but if I were I might be looking at someone like Scott Laughton. He's about the same size (maybe 10+ lbs heavier), but seems to play a fairly physical game, has reasonable points for what is a 3C(?), and has a pretty good faceoff percentage ( much better than Gaudette). I think this is someone after whom I'd like Gaudette to pattern his game.

I've only done a minor amount of research here, so please give me the low down on this guy beyond cap hit. I also expect that there would have to be a significant add by Vancouver.

regards,  G.

I liked him with the flyers!

Edited by 73 Percent
Hes still with the flyers!

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

I dont know how it works value wise or if carolina has interest in trading him but I like me some jordan martinook. Little older (28) but he checks all my boxes.

To be fair, Gaudette was excellent last year.

He was on pace for about 45 points as a mostly 3rd liner.

2g in 16 gp is unacceptable, that being said he's had some major health concerns the last while and seems to be getting back to where he was last year.

His value in a trade versus what we would get back is where this proposal should end.

He's by far more valuable especially with his contract to the canucks then some random 3-7th round picks down the road that will take several years to develop. 

JV on the other hand needs to go

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

2g in 16 gp is unacceptable, that being said he's had some major health concerns the last while and seems to be getting back to where he was last year.

His value in a trade versus what we would get back is where this proposal should end.

He's by far more valuable especially with his contract to the canucks then some random 3-7th round picks down the road that will take several years to develop. 

*He was excellent at producing complimentary offense last year. His defensive play and faceoffs weren't great.

And apparently fancy stats say he's creating offensive chances just as well this year (albeit limited actual production). But he's still struggling in those other areas.

He can certainly play in the NHL and may even become a decent middle 6 offensive player (winger conversion?) but he may not be a fit for what we need here.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

TO Be faaaaaaiiiiiirrrrrr......

I’m wondering if Gaudette is made of that “big man motor” where it takes a while to get the gears going and after a certain amount of games they start firing on all cylinders...

Bertuzzi was like that... he looked lazy. Until a certain point and BAM. there he was. Even sometimes just in time for the playoffs...

I am not doubting Gaudette’s dedication. He’s got it and that’s what you need in the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’m wondering if Gaudette is made of that “big man motor” where it takes a while to get the gears going and after a certain amount of games they start firing on all cylinders...

Bertuzzi was like that... he looked lazy. Until a certain point and BAM. there he was. Even sometimes just in time for the playoffs...

I am not doubting Gaudette’s dedication. He’s got it and that’s what you need in the playoffs.

Did you just compare Gaudette's 6'1 170 lb hybrid to Bertuzzi's 6'3 240lb deisel?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I think it was something to do with his digestive system refusing nutrients( if he ate his body would evacuate it) 

This past off-season he was successfully diagnosed and treated for it but missed training properly with his health and marriage etc

So I'd argue he just needs playing time/ some bounces/ confidence. He had a wicked wrap around last game that he almost scored on.

Here's hoping hockey gaud can get going!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I agree, I haven't seen enough of Gaudette to want to trade him but I have seen enough to know he has a lot of potential to be a solid secondary scorer.

Of course the major flaw is some defensive deficiencies but he is young enough to learn how to be a pro as long as he is willing to learn.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Maybe... but a 3rd round pick as currency for the expansion draft?  That can be flipped for a big asset that another team might not be able to protect.

We shovel he stocking up as many mid round picks (assuming we don’t go on a crazy run the next couple weeks and get back into the playoff picture).  Those picks and some cap space can turn into players a lot more useful than Gaudette... like any number of #4D who will be unprotected during expansion 

I think Gaud should cut his hair to try and get over his offensive drought. He has created quite a few chances vs Calgary, Markstrom just has his number so far this year.

Would definitely hold onto him now that he has his health in control and should be able to gain some weight during the off season and will be relatively cheap to sign, maybe to a 2 or 3 year deal that pans out well for the Canucks if he gets back to last years Gaudette

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

*He was excellent at producing complimentary offense last year. His defensive play and faceoffs weren't great.

And apparently fancy stats say he's creating offensive chances just as well this year (albeit limited actual production). But he's still struggling in those other areas.

He can certainly play in the NHL and may even become a decent middle 6 offensive player (winger conversion?) but he may not be a fit for what we need here.

It really doesn't help that he's now playing with guys on whose sticks plays have come to die (Roussel only has 1 goal, and Gaudette wasn't in for any of the goals that Sutter scored).  Of course, it seemed like he and Jake had something good going on last season but something just seems to be missing for both of them.  Wonder if it's time to mix up the lines to help everyone get going (if the offense dies again)?  No better way to max out a player's value than by putting them with the hot hand, e.g.

Miller - Pete - Jake (might as well try to up Jake's value since Miller and Pete set him up pretty often last year)
Pearson - Bo - Boeser (Pearson and Bo have worked well, and Bo and Boeser have worked before as well)
Hoglander - Sutter - Gaudette (not a way to punish Hoglander, but moreso to help out defensively and also put his transitional skill/ play-making to good use)   

Edited by Phil_314

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

It really doesn't help that he's now playing with guys on whose sticks plays have come to die (Roussel only has 1 goal, and Gaudette wasn't in for any of the goals that Sutter scored).  Of course, it seemed like he and Jake had something good going on last season but something just seems to be missing for both of them.  Wonder if it's time to mix up the lines to help everyone get going (if the offense dies again)?  No better way to max out a player's value than by putting them with the hot hand, e.g.

Miller - Pete - Jake (might as well try to up Jake's value since Miller and Pete set him up pretty often last year)
Pearson - Bo - Boeser (Pearson and Bo have worked well, and Bo and Boeser have worked before as well)
Hoglander - Sutter - Gaudette (not a way to punish Hoglander, but moreso to help out defensively and also put his transitional skill/ play-making to good use)   

My issue with Gaudette and his fit here, isn't his offensive production.

17 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I don't mean to interrupt. But shaking up two lines that seem to be clicking fairly well just to get one guy going doesn’t make a tonne of sense imo.

Edit - but wait. Sorry this just made me grumpy on second look. You demote Hoglander to the third line and put Jake on the first. Bruh.

W

T

F

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2