The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators interested in Adam Gaudette

14 hours ago, brian42 said:

Gaudette, Rafferty and 2 or 3 for ekholm.

ekhold is 30 which isn’t ideal but his cap hit(3.75)and position(D) are. 

aaron paul what GIF by Breaking Bad

I’m all for using our extra expansion slot for acquiring a top-4 D-man. And I like Ekholm as a player. But he’s 30, and has only 1 year remaining on his contract. It stands to reason that he will make more on his next contract, and at his age likely regress during that contract.

We have a young team, which won’t truly be ready to contend for a couple more years. We shouldn’t be spending quality assets like Gaudette and a 2nd/3rd to target just next season. Ekholm makes a lot more sense for a team that is contending this year and next.

A better example of a player for us to spend assets on is Devon Toews in Colorado. After the playoffs, Colorado might be looking to move him prior to the expansion draft. He’s 27, and has 3 years remaining at good value ($4.1M per). His age and contract make a lot more sense for our team.

• Cheers 3

On 3/17/2021 at 3:42 AM, D-Money said:

aaron paul what GIF by Breaking Bad

I’m all for using our extra expansion slot for acquiring a top-4 D-man. And I like Ekholm as a player. But he’s 30, and has only 1 year remaining on his contract. It stands to reason that he will make more on his next contract, and at his age likely regress during that contract.

We have a young team, which won’t truly be ready to contend for a couple more years. We shouldn’t be spending quality assets like Gaudette and a 2nd/3rd to target just next season. Ekholm makes a lot more sense for a team that is contending this year and next.

A better example of a player for us to spend assets on is Devon Toews in Colorado. After the playoffs, Colorado might be looking to move him prior to the expansion draft. He’s 27, and has 3 years remaining at good value ($4.1M per). His age and contract make a lot more sense for our team.

I agree that Ekholm would not be a good move at this stage of his career and being a UFA in another year. Furthermore I agree that Toews would be a much more suitable target due to his skill set, term and age.

However, I disagree that Colorado would be looking to move Toews. Essentially the Av's don't have enough protection spots for their excellent D corps and THEY ARE LIKELY TO LOSE ONE GUY. They probably don't want to move out another Dman because then they are down TWO Dmen instead of just losing the one to Seattle.

I wouldn't mind betting that they will protect Johnson (nmc), Makar, Girard. This will leave Toews and Graves exposed. It is likely that Seattle selects Toews or Graves.

It actually makes it even more important that they keep the other guy that Seattle doesn't select.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, mll said:

Would be surprised if Seattle takes Myers.  They are too invested into analytics.  Ownership even calls it a way of life.  They talk of wanting to be a team that knows how to evaluate players and their worth.  The analytics community didn’t seem to like the contract the moment it was signed.

We should definitely expose Myers in the draft... would be ridiculous not to. I like him as a player but his contract is big enough that Seattle passes. Basically gives us another protection slot. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

We should definitely expose Myers in the draft... would be ridiculous not to. I like him as a player but his contract is big enough that Seattle passes. Basically gives us another protection slot. 

That is what I did in NHL 21 and they took Holtby and I kept Myers win/win 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, coryberg said:

Let's say Myers is overpaid, I don't think that but if Myers gets claimed who will be signed to replace him? Top RHD will get paid regardless and the options are Hamilton or Barrie. Dougie even if he wants to come here will be getting 7.5+ Barrie without PP1 isn't a fit here.

A trade costs assets I'm not against exposing him but only if Benning has a side deal to keep him from getting claimed.

People act like he's making 8 million a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Let's say Myers is overpaid, I don't think that but if Myers gets claimed who will be signed to replace him? Top RHD will get paid regardless and the options are Hamilton or Barrie. Dougie even if he wants to come here will be getting 7.5+ Barrie without PP1 isn't a fit here.

A trade costs assets I'm not against exposing him but only if Benning has a side deal to keep him from getting claimed.

Adam Larsson or David Savard. 

Larsson has twice as many blocks and almost three times as many hits as Myers. Savard blocks and hits more as well. 

Edler’s getting older and the team already needed a couple more defensive/physically minded D. 

Myers isn’t terrible but these guys would be a better fit with what we have now(Schmidt/Hughes) and  what we have in the system(OJ/Rathbone/Jurmo?). 

Team needs to be more harder and physical to play against defensively. These guys would likely come in cheaper as well due to COVID and Savard having an off year.  We’d likely save cap. 

32 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Tryamkin probably would, but if Tryamkin. Comes over would much rather have him AND Myers on the team. 

the only other way would be to trade for a decent RHD RFA potentially, but will not be cheap 

4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Tryamkin probably would, but if Tryamkin. Comes over would much rather have him AND Myers on the team. 

the only other way would be to trade for a decent RHD RFA potentially, but will not be cheap 

Imagine they take Myers, we’re able to sign two of Savard/Larsson/Hamonic and we bring in Tryamkin?

Good luck in front of the net. 

Pipe dream though. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

There is going to be a lot of decent Dmen available leading up to the expansion draft. Teams can only protect 3 and there are a handful with 4-5 good dmen. I'm sure Seattle will follow the Knights game plan and draft a boatload of D and flip some for picks (ie methot for a 2nd). This is also a flat cap era where nate schmidt went for a 3rd round pick. No shortage of options.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, coryberg said:

LOL!  A 6' 8" , 229 lb , Mobile, NHL proven Dmen with Offensive prowess do not grow on trees. Protecting him in the draft is a no brainer. You NEED a player like this if you want to be successful in the Playoffs.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, coryberg said:

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

LOL!  A 6' 8" , 229 lb , Mobile, NHL proven Dmen with Offensive prowess do not grow on trees. Protecting him in the draft is a no brainer. You NEED a player like this if you want to be successful in the Playoffs.

As a wise man once said... I like him as a player but his contract is big enough that Seattle passes. 

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Offensive prowess is a slight exaggeration, wouldn't you say?  Capable offensively, serviceable defensively and decent veteran in the 4-spot would be my description of Myers.  I like Myers at $4.5M AAV; I like him a lot less at $6M AAV.

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2021 at 1:17 AM, brian42 said:

Gaudette, Rafferty and 2 or 3 for ekholm.

ekhold is 30 which isn’t ideal but his cap hit(3.75)and position(D) are. 

With our cap restraints a high impact low cap hot player is ideal.  We can recoup the pick by trading Pearson who we won’t have cap space to sign.  This also puts pressure on Edler to sign for a hometown discount.

id protect Schmidt ekholm and Juolevi in the expansion draft and expose Myers.  I’m not a Myers hater but in this flat cap environment we could easily replace him with a better D for his 6 million or use that money else where. 

ekholm schmidt

Hughes Hamonic?

edler Juolevi 

it would be more ideal if he was right handed and or played the right side but I wouldn’t pass on him because of it. 

out Myers Gaudette Pearson 11+ million

in ekholm 3.75m

Cap space is needed for Hughes Demko and Petey 

Gaudette,  Rafferty and a 2 or 3 for Ekholm...

No chance, Nashville's GM would not bite. It starts with a 1st round pick and a quality prospect. Let's look at the Muzzin trade from L.A. to TOR. L.A. got a 1st round pick and a quality prospect if I remember correctly.

I do believe that Ekholm has more value than Muzzin had a the time of the trade from L.A. to TOR, because Ekholm contributes more offensively than Muzzin.

No chance that Jim Benning is giving up another 1st round pick after Jim used last years 1st round pick to trade for JT Miller.

17 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Offensive prowess is a slight exaggeration, wouldn't you say?  Capable offensively, serviceable defensively and decent veteran in the 4-spot would be my description of Myers.  I like Myers at $4.5M AAV; I like him a lot less at $6M AAV.

Myers played on  the third pairing in Winnipeg.

Myers playing on the third pairing in VAN, together with Benn.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Myers played on  the third pairing in Winnipeg.

Myers playing on the third pairing in VAN, together with Benn.

2nd in icetime behind Hughes and was Top 4 in Winnipeg. 

Not sure why so many parrot this 3rd pair b.s. story...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1