The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a President of Hockey Ops

Rate this topic

Just now, tas said:

no gm is ASKING his owner for an immediate superior to breathe down his neck. 

He should be when it is clear he is not capable of performing all the duties required of him. It is delegating and not just some oversight. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

He should be when it is clear he is not capable of performing all the duties required of him. It is delegating and not just some oversight. 

yeah, that's just not how things work in real life. 

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Hell no!  Unless he gives back the cap recapture money or un-retires and goes to LTIR!  Premadonna... The best goalie we've ever had but excluding the Dallas series, he was average during post season.  When it mattered most he crumbled... beat out by Tim Thomas... Nuff said.

Wow I couldn't disagree more. What a ridiculous take. Remind me how many goals the Canucks scored in game 7? If I remember correctly the Canucks won 2 games in that series 1-0 one to nothing sooo hanging the loss on Bobby is simply the stupidest narrative. The Canucks scored exactly 8 goals in 7 games and somehow it is Luongos fault we lost the series. 

If MG hadn't circumvented the cap Luongo would have been a 9m dollar goalie and we would have never made the finals and we would not be having this conversation at all. 

Give back the recapture money?? You realize it's a penalty right? He isn't being paid the money. It sucks he retired a Panther but he doesn't owe the Canucks org a damn thing he did what was best for him and his family as any normal human being would. 

I for one am pretty sick of butt hurt nux fans besmirching Canucks legends with their false narratives. You are the reason we can't have nice things. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Money talks, but whether or not the Aquilinis are willing to pay up is another thing.

Best candidates tend to be more discriminating (they'll always get paid and can afford to be choosy).

Linden wasn't the right guy for the job I would have loved to keep him in the org a la Stanley Steamer but that just wasn't realistic. Realistically we very much need a Prez someone to handle contract negotiations, cap management the finer points that JB seems ham fisted with.

I'm curious if Claude Lemieux could be a candidate. He is currently one of the top player agents. 3 cups knows what it takes to win. Just a random thought I'm not even really sure if it would be allowed. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Linden wasn't the right guy for the job I would have loved to keep him in the org a la Stanley Steamer but that just wasn't realistic. Realistically we very much need a Prez someone to handle contract negotiations, cap management the finer points that JB seems ham fisted with.

I'm curious if Claude Lemieux could be a candidate. He is currently one of the top player agents. 3 cups knows what it takes to win. Just a random thought I'm not even really sure if it would be allowed. 

So 'promote' JB to President of hockey ops then hire a more experienced manager GM under him?

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So 'promote' JB to President of hockey ops then hire a more experienced manager GM under him?

Honestly I'm fine with leaving JB where he is he has assembled a great young core his trade history I'm fine with. We just need someone to prevent him from being his own undoing. the window is beginning to open.  I am terrified of leaving him in charge of the Hughes Pettersson extensions and future FA signings. 

650 sports net = a bunch of kids in their 20’s and early 30’s that believe they are smarter than GM’s in this league that dare to place importance on qualities other than just advanced stats.    

Bring back Team 1040 already.  :-(

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would agree.  Burke and Nonis worked very well together.  We need Benning to focus on drafting and player management and we need a President who can oversee everything and approve of all trades.  I would be okay with this.  This is why they brought in Linden, but the problem with Linden was he had no experience.  Benning did fine when he was in Boston and wasn't the main guy.  We should have the same setup here as well.  We don't need a GM per se, we need a guy who can oversee the entire operations and perhaps get Aquilini away from being involved in the day to day decisions of the club.

You know who else had no previous experience? Lou Lamoriello and he built that New Jersey dynasty team.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Wow I couldn't disagree more. What a ridiculous take. Remind me how many goals the Canucks scored in game 7? If I remember correctly the Canucks won 2 games in that series 1-0 one to nothing sooo hanging the loss on Bobby is simply the stupidest narrative. The Canucks scored exactly 8 goals in 7 games and somehow it is Luongos fault we lost the series. 

If MG hadn't circumvented the cap Luongo would have been a 9m dollar goalie and we would have never made the finals and we would not be having this conversation at all. 

Give back the recapture money?? You realize it's a penalty right? He isn't being paid the money. It sucks he retired a Panther but he doesn't owe the Canucks org a damn thing he did what was best for him and his family as any normal human being would. 

I for one am pretty sick of butt hurt nux fans besmirching Canucks legends with their false narratives. You are the reason we can't have nice things. 

Legends don't demand to be traded when they are sat out for an outdoor game.

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I suppose you're a Virtanen apologist too.  Of course it wasn't just on Luongo, I didn't say it was BUT...   In game 7 he needed to steal that game and he didn't.  That's why McLean is revered in this market more... Because he took his game to another level during the post season.  Luongo is not in the hall of fame but he sure feels like he should be.  It is common knowledge that when here, he was a control freak with a big ego, that a number if his teammates didn't appreciate.  As far as the cap penalty... And the main reason I dislike the guy so much is when the management was trying to move him, he himself said "my contract sucks!".  Now we all know that it did and he was stating the obvious but WOW... The guy is getting that much money and he has the audacity to tell the world that he's upset that he's overpaid!!!  Seriously, he should have been the last person to go public with that.  He's a me first guy period.  We don't need him.  You can make your own fantasy country club full of jerks like him if you wish.  

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

Legends don't demand to be traded when they are sat out for an outdoor game.

You know full well that was just the straw.  Honestly that was just another terrible decision by one of the worst coaches of the Canucks in history. And what kind of career did Lack go on to have anyway? Luongo was consistently disrespected by the coach, media, and fans in this city. And yet people point the finger at him as the catalyst in how this saga played out.  Luo remained a competitive tender right up until his retirement at age 40. He also returned Jaccob Markstrom so I guess we can blame him for that too. 

22 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I suppose you're a Virtanen apologist too.  Of course it wasn't just on Luongo, I didn't say it was BUT...   In game 7 he needed to steal that game and he didn't.  That's why McLean is revered in this market more... Because he took his game to another level during the post season.  Luongo is not in the hall of fame but he sure feels like he should be.  It is common knowledge that when here, he was a control freak with a big ego, that a number if his teammates didn't appreciate.  As far as the cap penalty... And the main reason I dislike the guy so much is when the management was trying to move him, he himself said "my contract sucks!".  Now we all know that it did and he was stating the obvious but WOW... The guy is getting that much money and he has the audacity to tell the world that he's upset that he's overpaid!!!  Seriously, he should have been the last person to go public with that.  He's a me first guy period.  We don't need him.  You can make your own fantasy country club full of jerks like him if you wish.  

Suppose he did steal that game. You still don't win 0/0 well maybe in AV's heart. But in real life you dont. He already pitched 2 shutouts in the series but its his fault he didn't pitch 3? 

Na Virtanen made his bed he deserves no respect. 

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You’re comparing Trevor Linden to Lou Lamoriello?  

Yes.

Neither of them had previous NHL front office experience before taking the job.

Linden was also the president for the NHLPA for quite sometime.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Suppose he did steal that game. You still don't win 0/0 well maybe in AV's heart. But in real life you dont. He already pitched 2 shutouts in the series but its his fault he didn't pitch 3? 

Na Virtanen made his bed he deserves no respect. 

Yah that's what the best do.  Yes he he needed to... If he had, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now and he would probably be in the hall of fame flying canucks colors.  Luongo was an elite goaltender for sure... Numbers wise, he was the best tender the nucks have had... That we can agree.  But his ego was hall of fame level and his attitude showed this.  Patrick Roy is a jerk too but hey... He backed it up at least.  We'll agree to disagree.