The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a President of Hockey Ops

Rate this topic

DSVII

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious if Claude Lemieux could be a candidate. He is currently one of the top player agents. 3 cups knows what it takes to win. Just a random thought I'm not even really sure if it would be allowed. 

This guy was the dirtiest player in the nhl, ruined and ended multiple careers.... sure he knows what it takes to win, by wrecking those he played against.    This guy is a puke!    

don’t want him anywhere near this organization, and honestly.... the position hasn’t been filled because the Aqua is the president.   He probably feels why hire anyone when I the final word comes from me anyways,  

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Wow I couldn't disagree more. What a ridiculous take. Remind me how many goals the Canucks scored in game 7? If I remember correctly the Canucks won 2 games in that series 1-0 one to nothing sooo hanging the loss on Bobby is simply the stupidest narrative. The Canucks scored exactly 8 goals in 7 games and somehow it is Luongos fault we lost the series. 

If MG hadn't circumvented the cap Luongo would have been a 9m dollar goalie and we would have never made the finals and we would not be having this conversation at all. 

Give back the recapture money?? You realize it's a penalty right? He isn't being paid the money. It sucks he retired a Panther but he doesn't owe the Canucks org a damn thing he did what was best for him and his family as any normal human being would. 

I for one am pretty sick of butt hurt nux fans besmirching Canucks legends with their false narratives. You are the reason we can't have nice things. 

dude was a premadona for sure, crying that noone was pumping his tires to the media. him not shutting up and playing hockey is why we lost the cup 

1 minute ago, MoldyTaco said:

dude was a premadona for sure, crying that noone was pumping his tires to the media. him not shutting up and playing hockey is why we lost the cup 

I cant understand how so many posters have so much hate for luo . if this is really how so many nux fans feel about him that really only serves to prove how under appreciated he was by this fanbase. it's truly too bad. He was one of the very best we ever had. and we didnt deserve him. why would anyone want to play for us. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Yes.

Neither of them had previous NHL front office experience before taking the job.

Linden was also the president for the NHLPA for quite sometime.

Lou Lamoriello has won 3 Stanley Cups and a GM of the Year Award. Trevor Linden is currently teaching people how to ride bikes and lift weights. I don’t see the comparison at all. 

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lou Lamoriello has won 3 Stanley Cups and a GM of the Year Award. Trevor Linden is currently teaching people how to ride bikes and lift weights. I don’t see the comparison at all. 

You clearly missed the focal point of the argument.

You said, the problem was hiring Linden, because he had no prior front office experience. Lou also didn’t have any experience prior to being hired by the Devils in 1989. Yet, he still was successful at building that dynasty team despite being a “rookie” president. 

Like the old saying goes, we all gotta start somewhere.

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

You clearly missed the focal point of the argument.

You said, the problem was hiring Linden, because he had no prior front office experience. Lou also didn’t have any experience prior to being hired by the Devils in 1989. Yet, he still was successful at building that dynasty team despite being a “rookie” president. 

Like the old saying goes, we all gotta start somewhere.

Sure I get your point.  However, once Linden got the job you could tell he was clearly in over his head and he wasn't capable of running an organization.  Lamoriello proved he could that's why he stuck around.  If teams felt that Linden could do a better job with their teams than he did with the Canucks then I am sure he'd get another shot elsewhere.  It doesn't look like he is at this point.  Was he even on Pittsburgh's list to interview?

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Can he unretire, go on LTIR and get paid $3 million to be our team President so his cap recapture comes off?

When Friedman put Luongo's name out there I immediately figured it was nonsense.  They guy showed his loyalty by not going on LTIR (as he easily could have) to save Florida a tiny bit of cap space... knowing it was going to badly screw the Canucks with a big hit.

No thanks to the guy.  I would rather we go after someone else.  I think Larionov would be an excellent executive if he ever decided to come back to North America.  He has been a player, and agent, and a manager.  Probably one of the smartest minds in the game as a player.  He has a Canucks connection as well so brings some of that along with him.  Russian player values are depressed in the league due to the KHL fallback... so maybe having a Russian President or GM gives us a leg up for some contract efficiencies.

I fully endorse this idea

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Can he unretire, go on LTIR and get paid $3 million to be our team President so his cap recapture comes off?

When Friedman put Luongo's name out there I immediately figured it was nonsense.  They guy showed his loyalty by not going on LTIR (as he easily could have) to save Florida a tiny bit of cap space... knowing it was going to badly screw the Canucks with a big hit.

No thanks to the guy.  I would rather we go after someone else.  I think Larionov would be an excellent executive if he ever decided to come back to North America.  He has been a player, and agent, and a manager.  Probably one of the smartest minds in the game as a player.  He has a Canucks connection as well so brings some of that along with him.  Russian player values are depressed in the league due to the KHL fallback... so maybe having a Russian President or GM gives us a leg up for some contract efficiencies.

Larionov might be an interesting candidate if Aquaman can make it work but that would be an interesting dynamic if JB remains and Weisbrod is still lingering in the backgroung.  

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Larionov might be an interesting candidate if Aquaman can make it work but that would be an interesting dynamic if JB remains and Weisbrod is still lingering in the backgroung.  

I don’t think the plan would be to keep Benning and Weisbrod if a boss was out in place above them. 

I also don’t think you get a guy like Larionov without him getting some say in how to (and who) runs the club.  The guy is hockey royalty and instantly gets the respect of other guys on the BOG like Shanahan, Yzerman, Sakic, Burke, etc.

hockey hall of famer 

3 time Stanley Cup winner

2 time a Olympic Gold

6 time World championship medallist... four times gold

2 time World Junior gold

medallist

Coach, agent, executive experience...

That is a guy you woo with control... not a guy you saddle with a GM he didn’t pick.

Of course he was a team mate of Linden’s so he might pick up the phone and ask how all that went down before accepting a job.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I don’t think the plan would be to keep Benning and Weisbrod if a boss was out in place above them. 

I also don’t think you get a guy like Larionov without him getting some say in how to (and who) runs the club.  The guy is hockey royalty and instantly gets the respect of other guys on the BOG like Shanahan, Yzerman, Sakic, Burke, etc.

hockey hall of famer 

3 time Stanley Cup winner

2 time a Olympic Gold

6 time World championship medallist... four times gold

2 time World Junior gold

medallist

Coach, agent, executive experience...

That is a guy you woo with control... not a guy you saddle with a GM he didn’t pick.

Of course he was a team mate of Linden’s so he might pick up the phone and ask how all that went down before accepting a job.

Makes sense - thats why I said 'IF' JB remains and if Aquaman decides to go this way, he might be asked by Larionov to be a hands off owner (if the meddling rumours are true). 

Imo, it will be great add if Larionov is hired as team president and it will also change the team culture - he just knows how to win (based on your list listing his accomplishments).

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure I get your point.  However, once Linden got the job you could tell he was clearly in over his head and he wasn't capable of running an organization.  Lamoriello proved he could that's why he stuck around.  If teams felt that Linden could do a better job with their teams than he did with the Canucks then I am sure he'd get another shot elsewhere.  It doesn't look like he is at this point.  Was he even on Pittsburgh's list to interview?

How so?

When Linden took over, the team had no direction and was a total mess. Hampered with NTC, aging stars, and a shallow prospect pool.

He drastically improved the scouting system by hiring a former scout as GM and promoted Brackett. Signed one of the top FA in Ryan Miller, and while Willie D was somewhat a disappointment. He did improve the team standings by 20 points from the previous year and revitalize the Sedins’ career.

As for other teams asking for his service? Maybe he just wants to step away from hockey and enjoy life as it is? He got a young son now, and has his own businesses to run. 

21 hours ago, Pickly said:

I'm sure there will be hoards of candidates lined up on the sidewalk outside Roger's after what happened with Linden. 

This is one thing, that i hope at one point, we as fans get a better understanding of what happened.   A lot of assuming and supposition going on, yet nothing really has been said about it.  Always felt Linden was abused - like a shield between the fan base and ownership or whomever to gloss over the re-tool - which had no real hope of succeeding.    A Linden tell all - would sure be nice - right now would be perfect timing wouldn't it? 

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is one thing, that i hope at one point, we as fans get a better understanding of what happened.   A lot of assuming and supposition going on, yet nothing really has been said about it.  Always felt Linden was abused - like a shield between the fan base and ownership or whomever to gloss over the re-tool - which had no real hope of succeeding.    A Linden tell all - would sure be nice - right now would be perfect timing wouldn't it? 

Agreed. I don't think anything will come out anytime soon, but with time I bet we will get the full story. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Agreed. I don't think anything will come out anytime soon, but with time I bet we will get the full story. 

Lindens influence is massive with with the fanbase.   Glad there hasn't been a tell "all" because it's kind of petty.   Doesn't mean i wouldn't like it either. 

Edit:  I'm also sure at one point he might come back into the Canucks management group in some capacity. His influence over our fanbase is equal to what Gretzky had with the Oilers and the league in general.   Massive. 

Edited by IBatch

On 2/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, DSVII said:

Was listening to this segment from 650 and honestly think this has been a problem going back to Gillis, but regardless of what we feel about management, it's impossible to really have an accurate picture of how much of the moves were the GM or ownership's meddling. Say what you will about Trevor, but he at least acted as a shield between ownership and operations and provided some structure to how things are run.

Whatever changes need to be done, at a bare minimum, we need to bring in an experienced President of Hockey Ops that can insulate the team from the owner and not have Benning assume dual roles of Prez/GM. And if we clean house, we need to do what Pittsburgh has done and hire a GM and President at once.

We may not have Eugene Melnyk level ownership, and frankly, that is a low bar, but we are subtly inching closer to Jerry Jones level of ownership here if any of the reports over the last few years is accurate about Aquilini influencing the Virtanen pick, the Eriksson/Myers signing, and denying trades.

BTW..............Isn't it called "Hockey OOPS" here in Vancouver ???

I tend to think JB appreciates loyalty more than a good sounding board, a bit like Trump really. Loyalty comes 1st, 2nd the 3rd with smarts falling to an also ran category.:) So an overlord situation wouldn't unfortunately serve a lot of purpose, not that it isn't a good idea, it's a great idea just wasted 

Edited by Fred65