The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breaking news: Bo Horvat debunks "losing on purpose" conspiracy theories

Rate this topic

ImConfused

Tanking conspiracy  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But the sports guys on the radio who are all smart and have big time connections told me that you aren't trying BO.  They told me that you are mad and are sucking on purpose.  Should I believe them or you?  Such a tough decision to make really...

Yes.  But they are the expertz!  Horvat is just reading the script.

Everyone else is wrong - a bunch of flat earthers who lack the attention span to read twitter.

The solution is obvious - JD Burke, the next GM of this team. 

Go smarm go!

Vancouver - where media never fail to set a new standard of mindless.

You gotta love this market (when they're not burning the city down).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/10/2021 at 7:37 PM, Chris12345 said:

No one loses on purpose. They might play disinterested but once you get hit you want blood.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it happens all the time. They 100% are not playing well 

on purpose. No idea why its just the way it is. Listen if you think for 1 minute that sports

are not fixed on some level you have not been paying attention.

The current NHL draft lottery has destroyed the NHL, its a horrible product and 

it will dissolve trust me. Look at the hockey we have right now its awful how many 5+ goal

games? Funny how in a time were we "need" entertianment here we have an unusual amount

of goals being scored by all teams.

You need to read a book called "The fix is in". Its impossible to broach the subject because

you dont want to believe it could be all fixed when your team is winning. But you also dont

want to bring it up when they are losing because you look like your complaining.

Look at the Ottawa games that was like playing a AHL team and I think (if you believe everything

is fixed) teams are getting tired of it and not "making a good show of it". I liked that we won agaist

Ottawa but the games were so un-inspired that it didnt feel like a win. It meant nothing to me at all

those wins.

The NHL has teams that purposely tank 100%. No one argues that its a thing teams do. But when

you get these wins against teams when you shouldnt it means you have an inflated sense of condifence

that makes you fragile under pressure.  Look at Vegas, huge market its becoming and within a few years

of its inception Vegas is considered to be a favourite to win the cup. Teams have been waiting for decades

to get a team that good and poof there is Vegas at the top. It makes zero sense.

Watch Seattle when they come in and poach players from other teams. On paper you may think 

ya this looks awesome but what about chemistry, what about drafting young players and building 

a team that way. NOPE says the current NHL! LOL no you can just draft 30+ guys and they will

magically gel and you will have a cup contender out of the box.

Its all bullshyt. I remeber the Sedins retirement game how nice it was they way they scored

but how highly unlikely it was. It made for a great story and thats why they scored imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I guarantee Seattle will be in the playoffs year 1 and probably win a round. Meanwhile Buffalo fans 

have almost lost all interest in that team. The NHL today is a total shyt show. Some of the calls

that have been made by refs have been astoundingly bad. Like a layman can look at some of

the calls that are made and think the refs are total hacks.

Columbus had a penalty reversed but the goal that was scored on the penalty was 

not reversed LOL! The product is absolutely awful.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:38 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

You don’t get to be a NHL caliber player by having ever even considering throwing games, the compete level required is so high that I would never buy into an actual purposeful tanking theory.

That's one of the best posts i've seen you make.  

6 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it happens all the time. They 100% are not playing well 

on purpose. No idea why its just the way it is. Listen if you think for 1 minute that sports

are not fixed on some level you have not been paying attention.

The current NHL draft lottery has destroyed the NHL, its a horrible product and 

it will dissolve trust me. Look at the hockey we have right now its awful how many 5+ goal

games? Funny how in a time were we "need" entertianment here we have an unusual amount

of goals being scored by all teams.

You need to read a book called "The fix is in". Its impossible to broach the subject because

you dont want to believe it could be all fixed when your team is winning. But you also dont

want to bring it up when they are losing because you look like your complaining.

Look at the Ottawa games that was like playing a AHL team and I think (if you believe everything

is fixed) teams are getting tired of it and not "making a good show of it". I liked that we won agaist

Ottawa but the games were so un-inspired that it didnt feel like a win. It meant nothing to me at all

those wins.

The NHL has teams that purposely tank 100%. No one argues that its a thing teams do. But when

you get these wins against teams when you shouldnt it means you have an inflated sense of condifence

that makes you fragile under pressure.  Look at Vegas, huge market its becoming and within a few years

of its inception Vegas is considered to be a favourite to win the cup. Teams have been waiting for decades

to get a team that good and poof there is Vegas at the top. It makes zero sense.

Watch Seattle when they come in and poach players from other teams. On paper you may think 

ya this looks awesome but what about chemistry, what about drafting young players and building 

a team that way. NOPE says the current NHL! LOL no you can just draft 30+ guys and they will

magically gel and you will have a cup contender out of the box.

Its all bullshyt. I remeber the Sedins retirement game how nice it was they way they scored

but how highly unlikely it was. It made for a great story and thats why they scored imo.

I'm concerned for your mental health.   Read the first paragraph and the last.  Yes the Sedins are so darn good they could end out in that fashion.   If this were true, watching Wayne Gretzky's last game, why didn't he have 99 points?  Instead of an assist or something in a loss.   Cant tell if your being sarcastic - if so apologies - if not maybe go do some evaluations, physcotropic stuff going on here.   Agree the draft is a bust.   GMs already are making waves to reel it back a little.   Tanking is a management only theme - players and coaches future relies on stats.    If you've played sports before, for sure locker room morale might be an issue - but winning is all you want to do, even if your the worst team in the league, it's the last game of the season and your playing the best team - you want to beat them.  

An NHL player would never lose on purpose. These guys are highly competitive and driven to in. 

Earlier in the week Sopel said the players quit on the GM. What a load of crap, sure you miss old team mates but you need to win with who you have on your team and the players know that. 

Anyone who thinks differently can put on their tin foil hats and hide in their bunkers, or their parents basement will also suffice.

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

An NHL player would never lose on purpose. These guys are highly competitive and driven to in. 

Earlier in the week Sopel said the players quit on the GM. What a load of crap, sure you miss old team mates but you need to win with who you have on your team and the players know that. 

Anyone who thinks differently can put on their tin foil hats and hide in their bunkers, or their parents basement will also suffice.

Pierre-Luc Dubois' last shift last night (1/21/21 vs Lightning) was a full blown men's league shift. - YouTube

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

what I find truely astounding is that his story has legs.

NHL. com atricle is hillarity

there are some things that will never be said, like We lose on purpose , or I meant to hurt that guy, or I will sleep with my team mates wives.

I think it is funny that the players have to answer these questions, but I do not expect anything but a stoock answer.

Maybe we need Justin Trudeau to weigh in, he's honest and knowledgable

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

But the sports guys on the radio who are all smart and have big time connections told me that you aren't trying BO.  They told me that you are mad and are sucking on purpose.  Should I believe them or you?  Such a tough decision to make really...

On 2/10/2021 at 7:37 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

The Canucks aren’t playing disinterested.  They are playing in a very tough division (sans Ottawa) and had a difficult schedule to begin the season in which practice time was limited.  

The guys perpetuating this “Canucks are disinterested due to losing players,” myth are the wankers over at the athletic along with some other “media rats” in our city (Thomas Drance, JD Burke, $&!#iar Shah, etc.).   

HF Canucks takes what these guys say at gospel and then perpetuate their toxicity on social media.

Not saying they didn't, but did anyone actually say that X player or the Canucks as a whole are purposely playing bad? Or has it just been rumors about the team being unhappy with management in general and it may be having an effect on the on-ice results.

There's a big difference. I don't follow the local media very close so I'm curious.

Edited by kanucks25

17 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not saying they didn't, but did anyone actually say that X player or the Canucks as a whole are purposely playing bad? Or has it just been rumors about the team being unhappy with management in general and it may be having an effect on the on-ice results.

There's a big difference. I don't follow the local media very close so I'm curious.

I think  it was just a feeling from some fans

then Brett Sopel,( he of the cracker based back injury) gave it some credibility

then Sportsnet ran with it

and NHL.com got involved

Don't you wish they would have asked Miller, Holtby, Edler, Schmidt or just about anyone but Bo?

heck ask Green or Jimmer ot Trotz or Voracek

Bo is a good guy, but his answers are dry as paste

Edited by lmm

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think  it was just a feeling from some fans

then Brett Sopel,( he of the cracker based back injury) gave it some credibility

then Sportsnet ran with it

and NHL.com got involved

Don't you wish they would have asked Miller, Holtby, Edler, Schmidt or just about anyone but Bo?

heck ask Green or Jimmer ot Trotz or Voracek

Bo is a good guy, but his answers are dry as paste

Bo wears the C and the team is floundering right now, so he should be the one speaking for the team, anyway.

And that'd be a low-blow question to any of the new guys, Holtby and Schmidt especially, because they probably feel like a big part of the problem (they replaced the guys that all the humbug is about).

"So, any comment on your teammates hating you because you suck and they want their old teammates that you replaced back? Any thoughts at all?"

Edited by kanucks25
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Bo wears the C and the team is floundering right now, so he should be the one speaking for the team, anyway.

And that'd be a low-blow question to any of the new guys, Holtby and Schmidt especially, because they probably feel like a big part of the problem (they replaced the guys that all the humbug is about).

"So, any comment on your teammates hating you because you suck and they want their old teammates that you replaced back? Any thoughts at all?"

yes I agree

I'd just like to hear a Voracek answer.

I would have said Petey, but he seems quite low right now and I feel it would be kicking him while he is down

17 minutes ago, lmm said:

yes I agree

I'd just like to hear a Voracek answer.

I would have said Petey, but he seems quite low right now and I feel it would be kicking him while he is down

Hate that they beat the personality out of Petey, it was part of his swagger and that swagger doesn't seem to be there right now.

I don't know if it was the soft media complaining or the Canucks being overly proactive in being PC but they never should have stopped him from doing his death stares and snarky interview answers.

Edited by kanucks25

Team is more demoralized not only their long time friends and key parts of the team left, but they are demoralized after looking at the reasons behind it.

It isn't like the Canucks brought in a big name UFA to significantly improve the team and as a result their key players have to leave, it is because management screwed up a few off seasons ago and it is the deadweight and overpaid bottom 6/taxi squad guys that are still here instead of them.

I don't think they would have a problem with key player departure if we don't have these deadweights. Letting your best teammates walk because of your deadweights is very demoralizing.

For example, if I show up to work and the boss have to cut the most productive workers/team members from your team to save budget because they can't get out of the contracts of that were sign with the less productive members, I would not be very happy about it too. I would still try hard and do what I can, but the morale is definitely lower and sub-consciously it is not good.

I am sure some of the players show up to the team and have that thought slip in their mind that "if it weren't for you at this cap hit, we could've still have Tanny, Stech and Tofu," it would be at their back of the mind. Especially once the losses starts to pile up, that thought would only get stronger.

It is not that they are playing to lose but they are just playing not to lose which in most cases would end up losing. They are not playing with confidence because I don't think they trust one another. They are not the team that we saw in the bubble who rallied for one another and got each other's back.

It was rumoured that Benning was going after OEL whole off season and he was stubborn in parting ways with draft picks or prospects to dump bad contracts. He was not willing to. I think what should've happened was for Benning to dump of anyone of Beagle/Roussel/Sutter by giving Jake/2nd/Kole Lind as sweetenders (young players who are not named Podkolzin, Hoglander and Rathbone should be available/considered as sweeteners). I think somewhere along the lines of that or any combination of player + prospect/pick would work. By not moving out bad contract and let popular and important parts of the team walk, it sends a wrong message to the core. The core believes that they are close last year and now they are force to reset after losing so many quality players in 1 off season.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Team is more demoralized not only their long time friends and key parts of the team left, but they are demoralized after looking at the reasons behind it.

It isn't like the Canucks brought in a big name UFA to significantly improve the team and as a result their key players have to leave, it is because management screwed up a few off seasons ago and it is the deadweight and overpaid bottom 6/taxi squad guys that are still here instead of them.

I don't think they would have a problem with key player departure if we don't have these deadweights. Letting your best teammates walk because of your deadweights is very demoralizing.

For example, if I show up to work and the boss have to cut the most productive workers/team members from your team to save budget because they can't get out of the contracts of that were sign with the less productive members, I would not be very happy about it too. I would still try hard and do what I can, but the morale is definitely lower and sub-consciously it is not good.

I am sure some of the players show up to the team and have that thought slip in their mind that "if it weren't for you at this cap hit, we could've still have Tanny, Stech and Tofu," it would be at their back of the mind. Especially once the losses starts to pile up, that thought would only get stronger.

It is not that they are playing to lose but they are just playing not to lose which in most cases would end up losing. They are not playing with confidence because I don't think they trust one another. They are not the team that we saw in the bubble who rallied for one another and got each other's back.

It was rumoured that Benning was going after OEL whole off season and he was stubborn in parting ways with draft picks or prospects to dump bad contracts. He was not willing to. I think what should've happened was for Benning to dump of anyone of Beagle/Roussel/Sutter by giving Jake/2nd/Kole Lind as sweetenders (young players who are not named Podkolzin, Hoglander and Rathbone should be available/considered as sweeteners). I think somewhere along the lines of that or any combination of player + prospect/pick would work. By not moving out bad contract and let popular and important parts of the team walk, it sends a wrong message to the core. The core believes that they are close last year and now they are force to reset after losing so many quality players in 1 off season.

I agree 100%