The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nosek Covid Positive during NHL game; Games not cancelled?

Rate this topic

This is really perplexing? Disturbing! Why are Vegas & Anaheim players not considered close contacts...

https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-golden-knights-anaheim-ducks-game-remains-scheduled/c-321283684

image.thumb.png.62d0317af7825cd5af20c6fbe4885ece.png

Thomas Nosek was playing in Tuesdays Vegas / Anaheim game. But was pulled from the ice in the middle of the game after playing 9:05 minutes.  This report says it was discovered during the game he had tested positive pre-game.  The rest of the game continued? Their next game against Anaheim is also scheduled to go ahead

• Cheers 3

I like hockey!  I also wish the community to be safe?

People go to restaurants.  Come home then test positive 5 days later. From having sat at the next table to another positive person out & about?

NHL hockey players sit next to each other in locker rooms. Breath, sweat and punch each other on ice? 

I believe we have to be more careful than this! 

A baseball player tested positive during the final game of the World Series, are you suggesting they should've cancelled the game?  Same goes for Kevin Durant during an NBA games recently.  He tested inconclusive, was held out, then allowed to play and pulled midway through the game since another test a returned positive.  It's not just hockey happened in every sports.

If everyone else tested negative, once the guy is removed I don't there is any additional risk by resuming the game.  If Nosek contaminated other players these guys won't know until a few days, but are not a risk to anyone on that night.  They are going to keep a close watch, but happened all season long in the NFL.  Pretty sure, all these scenario were discussed with NHL, NHLPA and local health authorities before season started and what would be the protocal.

Edited by timberz21

21 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

A baseball player tested positive during the final game of the World Series, are you suggesting they should've cancelled the game?  Same goes for Kevin Durant during an NBA games recently.  He tested inconclusive, was held out, then allowed to play and pulled midway through the game since another test a returned positive.  It's not just hockey happened in every sports.

If everyone else tested negative, once the guy is removed I don't there is any additional risk by resuming the game.  If Nosek contaminated other players these guys won't know until a few days, but are not a risk to anyone on that night.  They are going to keep a close watch, but happened all season long in the NFL.  Pretty sure, all these scenario were discussed with NHL, NHLPA and local health authorities before season started and what would be the protocal.

Remember the guy from the Utah Jazz? I blame that guy for all of this. 

8 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I don't there is any additional risk by resuming the game.  If Nosek contaminated other players these guys won't know until a few days, but are not a risk to anyone on that night. 

In real life?

Any close contact is asked to self isolate immediately. Only interact once a negative test is returned.  Not run amok with 40 others. Plus coaches, trainers. Then test...

I guess the only difference is we know all of them will get tested after the game.  

On 2/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, timberz21 said:

The player was already a transmission risk.  Quote below in bold because that’s what’s causing Covid to spread like wildfire despite PCR testing which is the most accurate available.

“It takes four days to test positive after exposure, but you can spread it before in the negative test window, especially with the new variants in circulation,” said Morice.

Dr. Bill  Morice is the president of Mayo Clinic Laboratories and Chair of Lab Medicine and Pathology at Mayo Clinic. 

There is apparently growing suspicion that there is on ice transmission between teams.  They are doing genetic sequencing of the virus found in players for confirmation.  They can then trace if players have been exposed to the same strain.

The virus likes the cold and the worry is that it lingers significantly longer than in a warmer environment.  The NHL and NHLPA are adjusting protocols as they are learning more and more about the virus.  The glass behind the benches has been removed to improve air circulation there, they are looking to add additional ventilation, etc.  

Russo will have Dr Morice on his podcast next week.  I’ll post it here once it becomes available.

On 2/12/2021 at 12:01 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

In real life?

Any close contact is asked to self isolate immediately. Only interact once a negative test is returned.  Not run amok with 40 others. Plus coaches, trainers. Then test...

I guess the only difference is we know all of them will get tested after the game.  

PCR testing takes about a day to process so they get the results often after the game but they will be introducing also rapid testing.  It still won’t cover the gap above between having the virus and finally testing positive.