The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are people in the West being persecuted for their political beliefs?

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why does one mean the other isn't happening?

https://www.google.com/search?q=blm+wage+gap&oq=blm+wage+gap&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.5115j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wonder how Asians would feel about their pay being downgraded to the average? I mean, it should be fair across the board shouldn't it if we're going to go down that road? And what of the handicapped, they make worse than everyone, shouldn't they be upgraded as well?

Edited by canuckster19

7 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=blm+wage+gap&oq=blm+wage+gap&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.5115j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wonder how Asians would feel about their pay being downgraded to the average? I mean, it should be fair across the board shouldn't it if we're going to go down that road? And what of the handicapped, they make worse than everyone, shouldn't they be upgraded as well?

Are you equating earnings with a lack of discrimination? If so why?

4 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I always wonder who actually believes there is a wage gap.  I mean... it's been illegal for decades and I doubt any company would wish to be sued up the wazoo because of it.  

The problem is that many look at the numbers and come up with conclusions that fit their own narratives.  Black earning less than "Whites" on average?  Must be racism.  Asians and Jews earning more than "Whites".... "well, let us remind each other of the struggle for all classes of people, that we need to come together for more goodness, equality, equity..." basically nothing. 

When you factor in type of profession, hours worked (especially OT), levels of education, geographical locations, etc... there pretty much is no wage gap.  Jews and Asians statistically have higher level of education... and there's strong correlation between higher education and higher wages, especially if in the STEM fields.... which most Jews and Asians tends to go into. 

I'm Asian and almost all my friends/family who are also Asian are engineers, accountants, working in legal, medical professionals, CompSci, or teachers.  This is assuming they're not business owners too.  Only my white friends majored in Arts or something non-STEM.  

Then where do most Asians and Jews live?  Mostly big cities.... I mean there aren't lots of Chinese folks up in Nova Scotia compared to say Toronto or Vancouver.  Not a lot of Jewish folks in Manitoba too I'm willing to bet than say... Toronto or Montreal. 

Using the US... I'm probably going to guess that you can go on for days driving around Alabama and Louisiana and not find many Asians out and about.  But you will see lots of whites and black.... and those two states are some of the poorest.  When you think of Asian-Americans, what do you picture?  The software engineer on the Westcoast and maybe the financial folks in NYC.  Places incidentally with higher salary and higher threshold requirement regarding education.  

Then it goes back to why is the average Asian and Jews more educated than Whites, Blacks or Latinos?  Or that being Jewish or Asian makes you're less likely to have a violent confrontation with the police than even whites?  Is it racism?  That there's some Asian-Zionist conspiracy to oppress the whites/black/latinos/aboriginals?  Sure... if you want to hear something satirically comedic.  Is it some type of genetic superiority?  Not unless you really believe in eugenics (another topic for another day).  So it comes down to cultural values.  Some cultural norms from certain demographics is not conducive to being competitive in the marketplace.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

See we can agree on something! But why downgrade someone’s pay? Let’s get everyone’s pay up to a liveable wage. We should stop

fighting downstream and focus on the real problem.

9FF20033-DCA9-4F07-B919-7A02A4F9DA0E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah could be for sure.

I find this thread a little bit funny. People get persecuted legally all the time in the US, but when it happens to right-wingers we're all supposed to :frantic:

Just want to be clear; because I (intentionally) bumped the thread.

What's going on with the radical identity politics types/push is a threat to liberalism itself. This ranges beyond merely 'right-wingers', liberals are an enemy in this game aswell. 

When it gets to the point of objectivity, mathematics, & the scientific method being questioned as white supremacy, I think it becomes time for anyone short of the alt-left to atleast start asking questions.

By today's CRT standards MLK himself would have internalized oppression, and likely internalized colonialism. 

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What's going on with the radical identity politics types/push is a threat to liberalism itself. This ranges beyond merely 'right-wingers', liberals are an enemy in this game aswell. 

When it gets to the point of objectivity, mathematics, & the scientific method being questioned as white supremacy, I think it becomes time for anyone short of the alt-left to atleast start asking questions.

By today's CRT standards MLK himself would have internalized oppression, and likely internalized colonialism. 

SJW aren't liberals.  In fact, they are far more socially conservative, imo.

However, cancel culture isn't censorship and it's certainly not persecution.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

cancel culture isn't the law. You can ignore it if you want to. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

but there's far more questioning/ignoring of basic science going on from the right wing these days. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but there's far more questioning/ignoring of basic science going on from the right wing these days. 

Because the right has been co-opted by the evangelical, born again movement.  They have one agenda.........to bring about the rapture

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Because the right has been co-opted by the evangelical, born again movement.  They have one agenda.........to bring about the rapture

Whataboutism. They can both be wrong. 

The right does deny science on some issues, but this alt left is taking swings at the scientific method itself. 

Both can be taken seriously. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I agree. And it's become annoying to me when ignorant conservatives lump 'snowflake' progressive or alt left ideas on liberals. 

The social conservatism point is interesting. Would that be with an entirely different set of beliefs - but hard beliefs nonetheless - rather than the traditional social conservatism from the right? in your view?

I responded to the thread to go at something a little different, that I feel is kinda underlying CC. I dont totally agree with the last part however, CC can be censorship at times - tho not always. 

I know, I have relatives like that back in the old country (Saskatchewan).

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Whataboutism. They can both be wrong. 

no its an actual -ism. Climate and health policy in particular are punching bags for even mainstream right wing people. 

The right does deny science on some issues, but this alt left is taking swings at the scientific method itself. 

Both can be taken seriously. 

Can you give me an example? I really can't think of something the alt-left is using anti-science thinking to push. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no its an actual -ism. Climate and health policy in particular are punching bags for even mainstream right wing people. 

Can you give me an example? I really can't think of something the alt-left is using anti-science thinking to push. 

Objectivity being 'white supremacy' culture? 

On 2/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, The Lock said:

Even thinking further about it, if even just Mexico became strong economically, immigrants from other Central American countries would likely just stop in Mexico and not even reach the US border. They'd have no reason to continue moving north.

They already do that.

If Mexico stops selling everything so cheap they would be better off economically.Problem is most of the stuff Mexico produces alot of other countries will gladly sell.