The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are people in the West being persecuted for their political beliefs?

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I can tell you first hand after hardly going anywhere for years this doesn't always work like that. If you don't have the experience that other jobs are looking for, your name pretty much sums up what happens to you. And it wasn't for a lack of trying either.

Maybe this is your best life?

17 hours ago, Violator said:

They already do that.

If Mexico stops selling everything so cheap they would be better off economically.Problem is most of the stuff Mexico produces alot of other countries will gladly sell.

Not on the scale that I'm suggesting. You can also create a reputation for quality products and then charge more for it. It's not easy, but it's possible.

But in terms of what I'm suggesting, clearly what they're doing now is not enough, so I'm suggesting ramping it up more to have hopefully greater effect.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I did, but not everyone has that luxury. I didn't for a while.

The steps or being content? Everyone has the luxury of being content, few use it. 

As for changing your situation, everyone has that luxury as well but it isn't the same for each. Some people are more fortunate because of their families etc before them. 

My goal is to leave my family with more than I will be left and to pass along that line of thinking.

I was homeless. Some of us have to make our own luck, wealth etc. Expecting those more fortunate to give in order to level the playing field is a gross starting point. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

The steps or being content? Everyone has the luxury of being content, few use it. 

As for changing your situation, everyone has that luxury as well but it isn't the same for each. Some people are more fortunate because of their families etc before them. 

My goal is to leave my family with more than I will be left and to pass along that line of thinking.

I was homeless. Some of us have to make our own luck, wealth etc. Expecting those more fortunate to give in order to level the playing field is a gross starting point. 

I don't see it as "expecting". It's more like helping. Giving that extra push.

If you've been homeless than you'd know that everyone's situation is different. There's also kind of different levels of homelessness that no one ever really speaks of. For some, it's a lot easier to get out of such a situation than others. While it's ideal for everyone to be able to change their situation, for some it's a lot easier than others. Sometimes that extra push is what actually does it and not just their own effort.

Sometimes you can have all the effort in the world, and feel like you're not getting anywhere. It's a hard spiral down of hopelessness that's not as simple as how you're playing it out to be. Good for you for getting out of homelessness, but I know what it's like too, and your story only works with some.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't see it as "expecting". It's more like helping. Giving that extra push.

If you've been homeless than you'd know that everyone's situation is different. There's also kind of different levels of homelessness that no one ever really speaks of. For some, it's a lot easier to get out of such a situation than others. While it's ideal for everyone to be able to change their situation, for some it's a lot easier than others. Sometimes that extra push is what actually does it and not just their own effort.

Sometimes you can have all the effort in the world, and feel like you're not getting anywhere. It's a hard spiral down of hopelessness that's not as simple as how you're playing it out to be. Good for you for getting out of homelessness, but I know what it's like too, and your story only works with some.

Expecting anyone above you to hand out to make you better is never the right mentality. They are not obliged to assist. I donate quite a bit, but I would never expect someone to level the field field because they could easily fall. 

1 hour ago, GetFocht said:

Those with massive amounts of wealth owe no one anything. 

I’m not sure that anyone is debating that people who work hard and manage their finances well don’t deserve what they have they have. If you make it by your hard work and innovation, fine more power to you.

Amassing a fortune by by paying ridiculously low wages or hiring children and pretending that you are “teaching them a trade” is not. Paying employees an unliveable wage is not. If you think the business practices of someone like Martin Shkreli (contrary to popular opinion on these boards, this is the most punchable face not  Matt Tkachuk) are okay then I guesss we’ll never agree. 

I don’t want to put words in your mouth but surely you don’t believe that the world should be controlled by the very few of the wealthiest people.

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

Expecting anyone above you to hand out to make you better is never the right mentality. They are not obliged to assist. I donate quite a bit, but I would never expect someone to level the field field because they could easily fall. 

Like I said though, it's not expecting. It's helping. All "expecting" is is the way you're interpreting it.

Not only that, but it also helps the economy in the end. It puts more money in people's pockets, allowing them to spend that money in business, which then actually gives businesses more money. There's even an economic benefit in all of this.

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sure that anyone is debating that people who work hard and manage their finances well don’t deserve what they have they have. If you make it by your hard work and innovation, fine more power to you.

Amassing a fortune by by paying ridiculously low wages or hiring children and pretending that you are “teaching them a trade” is not. Paying employees an unliveable wage is not. If you think the business practices of someone like Martin Shkreli (contrary to popular opinion on these boards, this is the most punchable face not  Matt Tkachuk) are okay then I guesss we’ll never agree. 

I don’t want to put words in your mouth but surely you don’t believe that the world should be controlled by the very few of the wealthiest people.

Who controls the world? It isn't Shrek.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:49 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

no its an actual -ism. Climate and health policy in particular are punching bags for even mainstream right wing people. 

Can you give me an example? I really can't think of something the alt-left is using anti-science thinking to push. 

IMO, @Smashian Kassian is correct in saying both left-wingers and right-wingers are guilty of science denial/sabotage. I personally believe that the Left will end up doing more harm to science than the right, especially during today’s political climate.

You asked for an actual example so I will give you one written by Kate Kelland from Reuters: 

https://news.trust.org/item/20190418094429-rl1l2

Science is under attack by BOTH extremes of the political spectrum, however; only the Left has been able to cancel entire branches of science because particularly loud individuals were offended by the results. Yes the Right cries about scientific results but the research is published no matter how much they whine. The Left keeps scientists in a state of fear that keeps them from doing the research at all. 

More people need to be aware and combat this anti-progressive, scientific “cherry-picking”. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Like I said though, it's not expecting. It's helping. All "expecting" is is the way you're interpreting it.

Not only that, but it also helps the economy in the end. It puts more money in people's pockets, allowing them to spend that money in business, which then actually gives businesses more money. There's even an economic benefit in all of this.

There is no proof that 'giving' poor people money is better for them. Some will become better, most will fall back. 

A lot of it is education. 

Merely expecting, wanting, wishing, hoping, asking etc for those wealthy to help is the same as the homeless people in your neighborhood asking, hoping etc for help. 

The world is your oyster.

3 minutes ago, Kryten said:

IMO, @Smashian Kassian is correct in saying both left-wingers and right-wingers are guilty of science denial/sabotage. I personally believe that the Left will end up doing more harm to science than the right, especially during today’s political climate.

You asked for an actual example so I will give you one written by Kate Kelland from Reuters: 

Science is under attack by BOTH extremes of the political spectrum, however; only the Left has been able to cancel entire branches of science because particularly loud individuals were offended by the results. Yes the Right cries about scientific results but the research is published no matter how much they whine. The Left keeps scientists in a state of fear that keeps them from doing the research at all. 

More people need to be aware and combat this anti-progressive, scientific “cherry-picking”. 

The extremes on all sides are some of the worst, regardless of party affiliation.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Would you perhaps be able to give a specific example of a field that's been lost because of the left?

I think the problem's more how a lot of scientific studies are being conducted. John Oliver did a good show once on scientific studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

Basically, there's a lot of "science" happening at the same time, where you have results that are funded by corporations and are just on in the best interest of the populace as a whole. So while, yes, there are issues happening that you are bringing up and I'm not denying that, there's also "science" that's not really science.

I think, when it comes to science, there's just a lot of murky waters. Don't get me wrong. I love science and read a lot about space and technology and learn a lot about physics, but how many studies are promoting chocolate and wine, and then saying the opposite a few years later?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

There is no proof that 'giving' poor people money is better for them. Some will become better, most will fall back. 

A lot of it is education. 

Merely expecting, wanting, wishing, hoping, asking etc for those wealthy to help is the same as the homeless people in your neighborhood asking, hoping etc for help. 

The world is your oyster.

But not everyone thinks like this. If everyone did, we'd have a lot more entrepreneurs out there. Just because you're a certain way, it's kind of ignorant to expect others to be the same way.

I want to add something to one of your sentences: A lot of it is the RIGHT education. Meaning you can go to school, get the "wrong" degree (ie. philosophy), and come out with... pretty much where you were before.

You say there is no "proof", yet that same sentence proves that some people will become better: your own words even, and that's the point. It's not a perfect solution. Nothing is, but it's better than nothing.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Not on the scale that I'm suggesting. You can also create a reputation for quality products and then charge more for it. It's not easy, but it's possible.

But in terms of what I'm suggesting, clearly what they're doing now is not enough, so I'm suggesting ramping it up more to have hopefully greater effect.

Weirdly enough they are the number one buyer of American goods as it means quality and dependability.

The bad tariff word would be the best for them.

Edited by Violator