The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are people in the West being persecuted for their political beliefs?

20 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

It’s interesting that very developed places like Japan. S.Korea, western Europe, Canada, Singapore etc. have very low birth rates.

On the other hand, birth rates are exploding in Yemen, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia etc.

To me this trend is disturbing because places that are ripe with extremism, wars, human rights issues, medieval mentality etc. are growing in population, while countries that are trying to eradicate those things are shrinking.

Yet many seems to protest in West for "overpopulation".  

Remember all those signs around Vancouver about how people shouldn't have kids?  Funny how they put them in Canada and not like... in Somalia or Brazil or Indonesia.  

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Remember all those signs around Vancouver about how people shouldn't have kids?  Funny how they put them in Canada and not like... in Somalia or Brazil or Indonesia.  

Canada fertility rate 1.5, Sub Saharan Africa 4.7, enough said.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

It’s interesting that very developed places like Japan. S.Korea, western Europe, Canada, Singapore etc. have very low birth rates.

On the other hand, birth rates are exploding in Yemen, Afghanistan, Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia etc.

To me this trend is disturbing because places that are ripe with extremism, wars, human rights issues, medieval mentality etc. are growing in population, while countries that are trying to eradicate those things are shrinking.

Actually, this is a normal trend that's to be expected in developing countries. Health care typically elongates people's lives while families who don't have much typically have more kids. So what happens is the health care goes us increasing life expectancy in these countries while it takes longer for families to be better off and have less kids as a result.

We saw this same boom in Europe during the Industrial age. In fact, I'd say if it doesn't happen that way, that would be more of a concern since it would mean nothing's improving at all. Basically for these other countries to develop they need to go through this stint first.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Haha, there was? I never saw them.

Some places with the high birth rate are really annoying. Why is it? I suppose culture, religion, economics, lack of education...

Still best thing for the planet is to breed reasonably. And obviously I would only want immigrants that come to Canada to enrich our great country. I think our stats look pretty good and that we vet well. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Haha, there was? I never saw them.

Some places with the high birth rate are really annoying. Why is it? I suppose culture, religion, economics, lack of education...

Still best thing for the planet is to breed reasonably. And obviously I would only want immigrants that come to Canada to enrich our great country. I think our stats look pretty good and that we vet well. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/vancouver-overpopulation-ads-climate-change_ca_5f6e717cc5b64deddeedbf08

Ads Telling People To Have Fewer Kids Appear In Vancouver

But the movement’s been criticized as racist and connected to eugenics.
By 
09/25/2020 07:21pm EDT | Updated September 26, 2020

A transit ad created by the non-profit World Population Balance.

WORLD POPULATION BALANCE

A transit ad created by the non-profit World Population Balance.

A series of bus ads and billboards across Vancouver has caused quite a stir this week for suggesting people have less children to quell overpopulation.

The ads, purchased by U.S. nonprofit World Population Balance, feature slogans such as “the most loving gift you can give a child is not having another” and “conservation begins at contraception.”

They promote the idea of having one child or no children as a way to quell overpopulation, and therefore the climate crisis.

According to the group’s site, the organization was founded in 1992 to “solve the overpopulation crisis.”

WATCH: Worldwide fertility rates have fallen. Story continues below.

“Our mission is to chart a path for human civilization that – rather than causing greater misery – enables good lives on a healthy planet,” they argue.

In a new release, WPB executive director Dave Gardner said they are not “dictating anyone’s choice,” but rather, “we’re celebrating and thanking people for small-family decisions.”

It’s a movement with some high-profile endorsements. At a conference in January, famed primatologist Dr Jane Goodall claimed that human population growth is responsible for the climate crisis, and that most environmental problems wouldn’t exist if our numbers were at the levels they were 500 years ago.

The myth of overpopulation

However, overpopulation as a legitimate danger to society has largely been debunked as a myth by the scientific community. Research shows population growth is one of the least important factors in calculating climate change, especially compared to heavy industrial emitters.

Many social media users were quick to criticize the Vancouver ad campaign as playing into racist or eugenic connotations.

Nah mate, overpopulation is a Malthusian myth rooted in ecofascism. There's not too many of us, resources are just being distributed inefficiently, and the market demands they're produced in the cheapest, most damaging way possible. The problem is capitalism, not people.

— Chairman Malibu (@GeorgeT_Simpson) September 23, 2020

Research has shown that an unequal distribution of resources is actually more to blame for the climate crisis than increasing numbers of people.

“Focusing on human numbers obscures the true driver of many of our ecological woes. That is, the waste and inequality generated by modern capitalism and its focus on endless growth and profit accumulation,” Nottingham University researcher Heather Alberro wrote in The Conversation.

“Blaming human population growth – often in poorer regions – risks fuelling a racist backlash and displaces blame from the powerful industries that continue to pollute the atmosphere.”

And even then, researchers note that the world population is actually expected to decline on its own.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

When I was younger I would ask my my parents why did people in poorer countries have more children than those in richer countries.

She answered that children are one of the few joys that people in those countries enjoy.

Also I believe a bit of nature is going on,some children will die so they have more kids to compensate for this.

18 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

When I was younger I would ask my my parents why did people in poorer countries have more children than those in richer countries.

She answered that children are one of the few joys that people in those countries enjoy.

Also I believe a bit of nature is going on,some children will die so they have more kids to compensate for this.

Yeah, my parents used to tell me the same story.

That and that since people had no TV’s they were bored so what else was there to do.

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

That and that since people had no TV’s they were bored so what else was there to do.

I know you are joking but when my parents told me that it left a deep impression on me.

No matter how many times I see the world vision adds where they show malnourished or dying children it still almost brings me to tears,especially since I became a parent.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I know you are joking but when my parents told me that it left a deep impression on me.

No matter how many times I see the world vision adds where they show malnourished or dying children it still almost brings me to tears,especially since I became a parent.

Yeah, I remember my parents buying UNICEF cards during Biafra famine in the 1980s.

It always bothers my how much food gets wasted every year while there are starving people.

Even now, I finish all my food 99% of times, that includes eating my kids leftovers.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, I remember my parents buying UNICEF cards during Biafra famine in the 1980s.

It always bothers my how much food gets wasted every year while there are starving people.

Even now, I finish all my food 99% of times, that includes eating my kids leftovers.

From the World Food Program USA web site:

https://www.wfpusa.org/articles/8-facts-to-know-about-food-waste-and-hunger/

Global hunger isn’t about a lack of food. Right now, the world produces enough food to nourish every man, woman and child on the planet.

But nearly one-third of all food produced each year is squandered or spoiled before it can be consumed.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Not trying to sound crass... but oral, anal and/or pulling out would alleviate a lot of the pregnancies....

13 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not trying to sound crass... but oral, anal and/or pulling out would alleviate a lot of the pregnancies....

Or having the same "game" as someone like me.  I strike out more often than Reggie Jackson going for hone runs at every at bat.

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

But you aren't. What you are doing is taking a few examples and generalizing an entire demographic. It's like me calling you a racist asshole because there are some boomers that are

Ever heard of peer pressure or as we called it in the boomer days, keeping up with the Jones. 

• RoughGame 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:51 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

It is increasingly difficult for "young people" to get by in this country, never mind have the capital to start a family, largely in thanks to the governments

The problem I have with that opinion is that it infers that somehow the new generations somehow have it harder than previous generations. 

• RoughGame 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:17 PM, spur1 said:

Ya for sure...like how can I afford a big truck and a quad and a snow mobile and a new home. Tim’s coffee and breakfast sandwiches on the way to work while texting on the latest greatest cell phone and planning a trip to Mexico after seeing the commercial the night before on the 72” smart TV. And don’t forget to take the wife out to the pub for dinner. 
Ya... no way I can afford kids...the way the government taxes beer. 

this is literally the first time I have ever threw this at someone and I am somewhat disgusted with myself for using it because I dislike gen Z but...... okay boomer!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, spur1 said:

The problem I have with that opinion is that it infers that somehow the new generations somehow have it harder than previous generations. 

Financially? That would be an astounding yes, unless you grew up in a developing/war torn country. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Financially? That would be an astounding yes, unless you grew up in a developing/war torn country. 

Nope...grew up right here in BC. No indoor plumbing until I was 10.  5 kids in one bed 8 kids in all in a old 2 bedroom house. If you think for one second that boomers had it easier you are sadly mistaken. 

• Cheers 1