The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are people in the West being persecuted for their political beliefs?

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Financially? That would be an astounding yes, unless you grew up in a developing/war torn country. 

Mum grew up in the great depression here in Aus,they lived on a farm so they had enough to eat but were dirt poor.

Dad grew up in the great depression in the UK, lived on a couple of spuds a day for long periods of time.

I grew up through the 60's and 70's we had meat and 3 veg and some fresh fruit.

Not many toys.

I got some new clothes being the oldest however my little brother got my hand me downs.

Sick of hearing how young people do it tough just because house prices are high.

Your general standard of living is pretty damn good.

5 hours ago, spur1 said:

Nope...grew up right here in BC. No indoor plumbing until I was 10.  5 kids in one bed 8 kids in all in a old 2 bedroom house. If you think for one second that boomers had it easier you are sadly mistaken. 

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Mum grew up in the great depression here in Aus,they lived on a farm so they had enough to eat but were dirt poor.

Dad grew up in the great depression in the UK, lived on a couple of spuds a day for long periods of time.

I grew up through the 60's and 70's we had meat and 3 veg and some fresh fruit.

Not many toys.

I got some new clothes being the oldest however my little brother got my hand me downs.

Sick of hearing how young people do it tough just because house prices are high.

Your general standard of living is pretty damn good.

Let me re-phrase. 

It's harder to have upward financial progress. Standards of living are stagnant and starting to slowly worsen. 

Let's take your guys' two examples - it obviously sounds like your families started from very poor living conditions. What I'm saying is that if you were to be in comparably poor living conditions in today's world, you'd be more hard-pressed to dig yourself out of such a situation. If you were to grow up in a middle class family today, you'd be hard-pressed to progress out of the middle class, or better yet, maintain your middle class lifestyle. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that quality of life is stagnant. I'd further argue that it's slowly deteriorating, especially for the middle class. 

Housing prices compared to stagnating wages and rising household debt are the two critical indicators that sum up my entire point. 

On 3/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, Lancaster said:

The ads, purchased by U.S. nonprofit World Population Balance, feature slogans such as “the most loving gift you can give a child is not having another”

I get the idea behind it, but that quotation is totally ridiculous. 

My wife and I didn’t really plan on having kids. But once we were going to have one, it was obvious that we should have a 2nd. Growing up with a brother or sister is far preferable to being an only child. This has only been amplified during the pandemic.

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thoughts on the Bill Burr situation? He isn’t getting canceled but has received a lot of backlash from the Grammys and some people are targeting his marriage with Nia Hill. 

I didn't know anything about it until you mentioned it, so I went and checked it out. It's hard to get nuance through text, but from what I read, I didn't see anything wrong with what he said.

He apologized for mispronouncing one of the winners' names and then made a self-deprecating joke about why he (a white male) was announcing the winner in a Latin category.

Unless there is more to the story that I didn't see, (not gonna lie, I don't care enough to do a deep dive) I'd file this one under STFU, keyboard warrior....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thoughts on the Bill Burr situation? He isn’t getting canceled but has received a lot of backlash from the Grammys and some people are targeting his marriage with Nia Hill. 

Nia's response to that one woke clown suggesting he might still be a racist as she could just be Bill's sex slave was hilarious.

Was surprised it got that much reaction tbh, wasn't much. His shot at white women on SNL had much more too it.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Nia's response to that one woke clown suggesting he might still be a racist as she could just be Bill's sex slave was hilarious.

Was surprised it got that much reaction tbh, wasn't much. His shot at white women on SNL had much more too it.

Like Rupert, I wasn't aware of this situation until it was posted. I'm not sure if this is the same guy but the "woke" tweet in question was from a guy named Clayburn Griffen who, after googling his name, happens to be a politician and surprisingly enough a republican to boot. He doesn't look old enough to be a gen Z either, not that any of this matters. 

16 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Like Rupert, I wasn't aware of this situation until it was posted. I'm not sure if this is the same guy but the "woke" tweet in question was from a guy named Clayburn Griffen who, after googling his name, happens to be a politician and surprisingly enough a republican to boot. He doesn't look old enough to be a gen Z either, not that any of this matters. 

Never mind, he was quasi politician and blogger.

https://www.clayburngriffin.com

Edited by CBH1926

16 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

He went in as republican but he was very anti-trump after digging in. Barely won any votes. 

Here’s a quote. He doesn’t sound like a republican at all

was motivated to run largely out of seeing the hateful rhetoric that had overtaken the Republican Party with the ascension of Donald Trump. New Mexico is a state with a large immigrant population, and a large Latino population, with many families living here long before here became America. The other candidates largely pushed the same hateful, racist messaging that we were hearing from Donald Trump. So, it was important to me that these Republican voters heard another voice on the campaign trail, one that wasn’t focused on hate and understood the immense value diversity and immigration brings to our country.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Checked the dudes Twitter. He is retweeting AOC. Posting very SJW stuff. 

This dude is a progressive Dem who just went in as a republican for whatever reason? 

Another “social media personality”

15 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Another “social media personality”

Not the brightest guy it appears. Not sure why he’d go in as a republican when he views are very far away from that. What he did would be the equivalent of a Trumper/alt-right going in as a Democrat, pushing for a Trump/alt-right agenda. 

This guy shouldn’t be taken seriously besides that one Twitter post implying that Bill Burrs wife is possibly a sex slave because apparently that can happen in interracial couples in order to paint the white guy as racist. A reply to his post was right, worst post on Twitter.

If any good comes from this it’s that both sides of the spectrum were flaming this guy for his posts. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

5 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Let me re-phrase. 

It's harder to have upward financial progress. Standards of living are stagnant and starting to slowly worsen. 

Let's take your guys' two examples - it obviously sounds like your families started from very poor living conditions. What I'm saying is that if you were to be in comparably poor living conditions in today's world, you'd be more hard-pressed to dig yourself out of such a situation. If you were to grow up in a middle class family today, you'd be hard-pressed to progress out of the middle class, or better yet, maintain your middle class lifestyle. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that quality of life is stagnant. I'd further argue that it's slowly deteriorating, especially for the middle class. 

Housing prices compared to stagnating wages and rising household debt are the two critical indicators that sum up my entire point. 

I don’t entirely agree. If you compare buying a 400,000 dollar home now to the 50,000 dollars 12% interest I paid for my first house making $4.50 a hour. It is actually cheaper to buy now due to the lower interest rates. Note: The same job I was doing then is now paying approximately $30 a hour. 

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My thoughts: people are too sensitive. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

My thoughts: people are to sensitive. 

I do not want to be that guy, but I couldn't help noticing you didn't use the extra"o" when spelling too.

Normaly I'd let things like that go, but recently every little thing is begining to bug me.

Not sure why.

:)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Oh, and BTW....I'm not sure an internet forum is capable of conveying how little I care for awards shows. Especially the Grammys..

Agreed. The only time I've ever watched the Grammys was when Arcade Fire won Album of the Year for The Suburbs. Watched because they were performing. Then Eminem's manager cried about it :) 

The Suburbs is a perfect album btw..

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grammy-awards-fallout-who-the-hell-are-arcade-fire-778521

Here they are after they won...didn't expect to or perform again :)

EDIT: I think The Suburbs is best album of the last 20 years..  

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I do not want to be that guy, but I couldn't help noticing you didn't use the extra"o" when spelling too.

Normaly I'd let things like that go, but recently every little thing is begining to bug me.

Not sure why.

:)

am that guy...   I correct my grammar on here a lot. Hell, it's saved as my sole entry as reason for editing lol...  thanks :) 

Edited by Gnarcore
grammar

6 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Agreed. The only time I've ever watched the Grammys was when Arcade Fire won Album of the Year for The Suburbs. Watched because they were performing. Then Eminem's manager cried about it :) 

The Suburbs is a perfect album btw..

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grammy-awards-fallout-who-the-hell-are-arcade-fire-778521

Here they are after they won...didn't expect to or perform again :)

EDIT: I think The Suburbs is best album of the last 20 years..  

As a 60 year old, all of my favorite bands have either had members pass away, or have long since broken up.

The last "new" bands that I can honestly say I like are Big Wreck and Collective Soul.....there are also a couple of newish Canadian Bands that I enjoy as well. The Sheepdogs out of Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia's The Trews....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As a 60 year old, all of my favorite bands have either had members pass away, or have long since broken up.

The last "new" bands that I can honestly say I like are Big Wreck and Collective Soul.....there are also a couple of newish Canadian Bands that I enjoy as well. The Sheepdogs out of Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia's The Trews....

I'm 42...I can say the same. But I am more receptive to new music more than most. BUt 95% of what I what I hear today is crap. 

• Cheers 1