The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great talent, too soft?

Rate this topic

justathought

How would bringing in some tough guys help our top end players from being "Knocked off the puck continuously"? I don't like this notion of bringing in tough guys as the be all end all fix when things aren't going right. Unless you're suggesting we replace our top end talent with size and strength, I'm not sure how bringing in a bunch of tough dudes who will be relegated to the 4th line is going to help us. We've brought in tougher players but they never seem to stick with the team's chemistry, change their style of play, or face unfortunate injuries. So which players specifically should we be going after that's going to turn this around?

What we need is a coaching system that's built around our current talent to accentuate the positives that we do have.

2 hours ago, ImConfused said:

How many groups of 20-25 year old kids do you know of in 2021 that would not accurately be described as "too soft"?

I mean, they get offended by gluten and global warming for god's sake lol

That's a new one on me. Caring about global warming as an insult.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

toughness sure is a minor factor, but let's be real its minor... game is all speed and skill now. Tampa Bay has 4 lines that can dust you on the scoreboard, they have been a powerhouse for some time now . 

Tampa has a big heavy team though.. and their smaller players are feisty. 

Cirelli, Gourde dont take crap from anyone. then they have middleweight pests like Coleman, Killorn, Goodrow. Even Stamkos is no push over, he will push back if he gets abused. 

lets look at their defence. Hedman 6'6, Shenn 6'4, Cernak 6'3, Foote, 6'4, Sergachev 6'3. all of these guys hit. Oh and I almost forgot about Maroon whose 6'3 240 lbs..

we have the skill, I hope our new GM surrounds it with size. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 12:13 AM, Drakrami said:

Toronto is full of soft players too, but they have done ok in the past 3-4 regular seasons at least. Soft is probably not our most glaring problem.

no it pretty much is, 2011 we had a tougher team besides our skilled guys, and if we had of had more depth that lost cup would have been ours...

On 2/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, Trebreh said:

Tampa has a big heavy team though.. and their smaller players are feisty. 

Cirelli, Gourde dont take crap from anyone. then they have middleweight pests like Coleman, Killorn, Goodrow. Even Stamkos is no push over, he will push back if he gets abused. 

lets look at their defence. Hedman 6'6, Shenn 6'4, Cernak 6'3, Foote, 6'4, Sergachev 6'3. all of these guys hit. Oh and I almost forgot about Maroon whose 6'3 240 lbs..

we have the skill, I hope our new GM surrounds it with size. 

what new GM? only a fool would hire a new GM now

Edited by iceman64

On 2/11/2021 at 9:49 PM, justathought said:

Can we all just agree that the experiment of small talented players, without some third line gritty size guys just doesn't work? We are way too soft. Knocked off the puck continuously and tossed to the ice. Granted I'm ranting a tad, but something's got to change. Virtanen isn't acting his size and, if a trades available for similar talent with a size upgrade and grit-jump on it. Gaudette same-same, I like his play but if we can get some grit and size with a comparable talent-do it. Yes I would love a talent/size/grit top or 2nd line but with what we can offer up...Maybe next year?

Lazy Jake is a goner.  He'll be traded shortly.  Gaud still needs a bit more time to see and JB shoulda picked Ka-Chuck instead of you know who but was afraid to bring a character Canadian tough player into a room full of sheep-whipped Swedish brainwashed finesse players.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Vancouver Charmins been soft for nearly 20 years, need some grit and size....players who will drop the gloves if need be and will hit and wake up the team when they are all sleeping on the bench. 

1 hard nosed D man and 1 physical F would be nice to add, can't we find someone like that thru drafting over the last 7 years...or is it Team Sedin Ultra Soft Charmin 10 ply forever and ever??

Same could be said to 90% of the league unfortunately although it's been more like 15 not 20.   Hate to say this but that Charmin team your not to happy about could probably lick the one we have right now.  It's just the way things have gone - league wide.   Doesn't mean it's not exciting because yes it still is - the league has reverted back to rolling four lines and zero enforcers... problem is after 3 decades of having guys like that watching your back, players have literally been bred out of how things were prior to expansion, when pretty much everyone was expected to stand up for themselves and fight their own battles - nobody can earn a spot just fighting anymore - fighting for a roster spot literally is long gone. 

ANA was the last truly tough team that won a cup (meh Boston was so so on that front, aside from Chara, Lucic, Boychuk and Thornton, who also won with ANA, pretty average outside of that - ANA had twice as many). 

Team toughness still and will always matter,  but players have changed.   Who's the last tough young guy to make the league anyways?   Do power forwards even exist anymore too? 

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Same could be said to 90% of the league unfortunately although it's been more like 15 not 20.   Hate to say this but that Charmin team your not to happy about could probably lick the one we have right now.  It's just the way things have gone - league wide.   Doesn't mean it's not exciting because yes it still is - the league has reverted back to rolling four lines and zero enforcers... problem is after 3 decades of having guys like that watching your back, players have literally been bred out of how things were prior to expansion, when pretty much everyone was expected to stand up for themselves and fight their own battles - nobody can earn a spot just fighting anymore - fighting for a roster spot literally is long gone. 

ANA was the last truly tough team that won a cup (meh Boston was so so on that front, aside from Chara, Lucic, Boychuk and Thornton, who also won with ANA, pretty average outside of that - ANA had twice as many). 

Team toughness still and will always matter,  but players have changed.   Who's the last tough young guy to make the league anyways?   Do power forwards even exist anymore too? 

Funny enough when it comes to PIM's Vcr has 3 most in the top 10