The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#43 Q. Hughes now Officially The Worst +/- Defenseman & Player in the entire league.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

A sad stat, but with no one (Tanev) left to cover Quinn's A$$ when he's out of position when he's caught up ice or bumbling the puck, he's now fallen to the very worst and last +/- position in the entire league (Tied with Guess who....Gudbranson) with 252 defenseman in the league better than him.     

Does JB or TG share any blame for this very sad situation????

Really???? 

Edited by iceman64

who is his D partner again? oh that's right.. you put a young 2nd defenseman that's more focused on offense due to his size with a defensive liability defenseman as a D partner what do u expect? Hughes needed a complimentary defenseman to play with that's a stay at home type. Tanev was perfect.. hell even when luke schenn was here Hughes did just fine.. the entire canucks defense is a turnover machine.. there's not a single defenseman there you can point to and say oh he's a great defensive defenseman

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

who is his D partner again? oh that's right.. you put a young 2nd defenseman that's more focused on offense due to his size with a defensive liability defenseman as a D partner what do u expect? Hughes needed a complimentary defenseman to play with that's a stay at home type. Tanev was perfect.. hell even when luke schenn was here Hughes did just fine.. the entire canucks defense is a turnover machine.. there's not a single defenseman there you can point to and say oh he's a great defensive defenseman

Thought he had a good thing going with Benn, but I guess the quality just wasn't there to be a competent big minute pairing that didn't hemorrhage goals against.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Thought he had a good thing going with Benn, but I guess the quality just wasn't there to be a competent big minute pairing that didn't hemorrhage goals against.

I thought Benn was probably their worst player tonight.  Constantly turning over the puck.  I'm hoping her gets replaced by Chatfield or even Rafferty next game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

If you are going to make a stat thread on a player, would you mind telling us the rest of them?

Like he has the most points of all D in the league?

in before the mods lock this bull$&!#

We all know that and appreciate your attempt to enlighten us but even with his league leading points (which is already incorporated and considered in the plus/minus ratings calculation) he's still -13 in "THE HOLE",  which means he's "technically' a liability.  I'm sure you understand the math and what +/- means so I won't bother wasting your time trying to elaborate on the technical significance and impact of such. 

So this is not bull$&!# as you incorrectly state - rather FACT - whether you like it or not.  Just go to NHL.COM player stats and see for yourself.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

Maybe if we paired him with a true top 4 defenceman like Schmidt or Myers he'd have a chance instead of the 6-7th defenceman Benn. Not all his partners fault, he's been worse defensively this year and I blame that partially on him but mostly on Green for letting him free wheel so much.

Not many other coaches would let kids like Petey and Hughes just do what they want offensively. Even the Sedins had to earn their right to play creatively after years of being cautious defensively. AV or Torts would destroy these kids for how they play right now and yes Torts is too much, but you need some sort of balance because Green is giving them absolutely no boundaries. Someone needs to tell them to chill offensively and play smart defensively but Green's the nice guy coach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

RU SERIOUS?

LOL, not only am I serious but the NHL is too - where you can verify this as completely accurate for yourself.   (Go to NHL,COM then Stats, then player stats)  I know it's a shocker - but it's reality!

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Or maybe Green/Baumer's systems are junk. Seriously, there's NO WAY schmidt is this bad coming from LV.

LV has a better team overall. Just look at Theodore. I drooled when I watched him play. 
Schmidt maybe looked better because he got an easier job at LV.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

LV has a better team overall. Just look at Theodore. I drooled when I watched him play. 
Schmidt maybe looked better because he got an easier job at LV.

Last year Schmidt lead them in ice-time during the playoffs and was 2nd in ice-time during the season. 2018-19 he lead them in ice-time during the season and was 2nd in the playoffs. In 2017-18 he lead them in ice-time during the regular season and in the playoffs when they made it to the Stanley Cup Final.

In 3 years in Vegas Schmidt averaged 52.5% D-zone starts while in Theodore averaged 43.6% D-zone starts in almost the same amount of time(3 years + this season). (According to Hockey Reference. NHL.com stats differ a tiny bit with zone starts).

Schmidt was a 2nd unit PKer and 2nd unit PPer for Vegas every year(in terms of ice-time).

Theodore has only been a 1st unit PPer. He hasn't ever been a PKer in Vegas.

Overall Theodore is a dynamic offensive defenseman while Schmidt is a solid puck-moving defenseman in all 3 zones.

Schmidt would go well with a physical defensive D. A pairing like this could be used in a match up role, eating up lot of minutes at even-strength. Theodore works better with a guy like Martinez(or Tanev), someone who's poise defensively and isn't gonna make mistakes with the puck. Theodore is similar to Hughes in that regard.

Overall Tryamkin would probably be the perfect partner for Schmidt. It would be a similar partner to McNabb for Schmidt which was a great pairing for Vegas.

Edited by Junkyard Dog